Slow progress

VikkiBG

Hi,

I am new to the group, but at 40 years old, I am not new to life....however, I find that clearly I don't know much about weight loss. I am constantly considering whether to join Slimming World, but am put off by spending money to lose weight....I should be able to do this right???

I started going to Pilates regularly in November and am finding that my shape is really changing. What with 2 alcohol free months (October, and currently dry January) and other changes such as now drinking soya milk, eating soya bread and lacto free cheese, along with cutting out crisps etc I would've thought that these changes would've seen a marked reduction in my weight, but they have not. Since last April when I came home from my holiday in Majorca at way overweight, I have managed to lose approximately 10lbs. I walk the dog frequently and am an active person at work (as a teacher I am on my feet a lot!)

So what is it I am doing wrong? I was reading a post on here earlier (which I now can't find) that not eating very much is going to slow down the weight loss process as the body is storing food or something like that? I don't eat very much at lunch times when I am working as I am often trying to get my marking done so I don't have to bring as much home or I am in meetings. Sometimes I will have a bowl of soup, or I might only get to grab a snack a jack or 3!

I really only want to join a slimming club as a last resort - not because I don't approve but I can't justified that expense to myself in addition to the regular pilates classes. I really would like to lose at least 1.5 stone (possibly 1 stone 10lb?) and I am going on holiday to Majorca again in April so would really like to lose as much as possible by then.

I would very much appreciate any responses. xxxxxxxxxx

Hi Vikki.. Welcome to the forum. Well done on doing the Pilates that's a very good start to aiding your weight loss.

The best formula is to have balanced meals through the day in order to keep the metabolic system working well and not eating enough slows this down and thus the ability to lose weight is affected too.Your lunch menu does seem to be somewhat at fault as you so rightly suggested. Couldn't you find the time to pop a couple of crackers or even a slice of bread with a hunk of cheese into a bag to take with you?
I guess you must be teacher from your remarks and there are quite a few on here and I have a daughter who is a teacher as well so I know how hard you have to work.
Have you decided on whether to do SW? Again.. lots of people doing that one so I'm sure you will get lots of help and advice with that.

Keep up the good work.

As someone who really tried to go it alone, eat healthily and exercised and has done slimming world too - I'm totally a slimming world advocate.
For me, the plan provides structure, do's and don'ts, and I really need that. I also benefit from being weighed weekly and going to class as this keeps me going. SW is great too as it really shows you how you can cook from scratch healthily - swapping previously unhealthy ingredients in recipes for healthier options and provides you with a way you could cook forever, which I think is great.
The losses on SW are also the best I've ever had, I've tried everything under the sun and SW just works really well. The plan takes some getting used to but once you've got it, and stick to it, the weight just falls off.
I don't think a fiver a week is much to pay really for such a great plan, and I definitely think its worth it. All the recipes and access to the website, and if you were confident you could always go until you're confident with the plan and then go it alone with the support of the sw section here.
just my two cents obviously :) xxx

Back