small loss after DD

lumpyandbumpy

Silver Member
is anyone else finding that they have a small loss after a DD? its becoming a pattern for me, i know ive only been juddding for a week but on my ups i can gain 2-4lbs but the downs are not really compensating enough. ive gained this week which im fine with because ive just come off a vlcd but im worried that if my downs continue to just produce the 1lb loss, then i'll never really get anywhere, i'll either stay the same every week or end up gaining some weeks even because the DDs are not shifting enough to counteract the Ups. can anyone suggest a remedy or let me know if im going wrong somewhere please? i tend to stick to 500 cals on the downs and 2000 on the ups. i also exercise regularly, i do 30 mins of kettlebells on the up days and on my downs i do a quick 10 minute kettlebell session just to keep active so really i shouldnt be gaining fat but i would like to start seeing results on the scales before too long :) xx

Hi Lumpy

Maybe you need to try and look for longer term trends which is what I'm going to try and do. I think the scales jump all over the place with this eating style and to get too worried about daily or even weekly weigh ins is not a good thing! Have a look at my post further down if you haven't already.

My new plan is to weigh every day - cos I find it interesting - log my weekly high and low points and then to work out a weekly average weight from my daily weights. I reckon I should see the average weight trend to go down.

Keep the faith with the diet - if you stick to your DDs it really will work.

hi misshapp, i think my worry is that because the DDs are consistently producing 1lb losses then the way i see it is that if i gain 1lb every up, i'll end up getting nowhere because the downs will just cancel the 1lb gain out rather than shifting more weight. plus the fact that ive had 2 ups in a row this wkend which resulted in a 3lbs gain, and now my DD yesterday only took 1lb off so im currently at 9st 4lbs with another up day today. even if i was lucky enough to stay the same tomorrow, my DD should only give me another 1lb loss which will take me to 9st 3lbs, so i may potentially end up gaining again at the end of this week :( i just dont see how it'll work in the long term if my DDs dont shift more than 1lb for me, i really dont know what to try to get things moving :( x

Hey hun just reading your posts and this is my worry too xxxx Are you still drinking a lot of water? Also are you eating enough on your up days? Tell me to shhhhhhh if this isnt relevant but thought I would suggest something as I can understand you must be really frustrated xxxx

Im starting on a DD today and worried im gonna have the same problems coming over from CD xxxx

Hey hun just reading your posts and this is my worry too xxxx Are you still drinking a lot of water? Also are you eating enough on your up days? Tell me to shhhhhhh if this isnt relevant but thought I would suggest something as I can understand you must be really frustrated xxxx

Im starting on a DD today and worried im gonna have the same problems coming over from CD xxxx

hey hun, i think im eating enough on up days, maybe it is the water thing as i do still drink it but i dont drink as much as i was on CD so maybe i should up it again. i'll just have to see this week out then look at a few different options for next week, maybe having an ID once a week or just cutting calories on certain up days then increasing them on others to get more of a swing. i struggle on the DDs so i dont want to have to cut back a lot on them so i think i'll have to assess my Ups and see what i can change with those. i really dont want to have to go back to CD but if i find i keep gaining and not getting anywhere, i'll have to try something just to get me into the 8s then restart JUDDD for maintenance when im at my happy weight. hoping im just panicking over nothing but these DDs losses are starting to get on my nerves lol! xx

looool babe i totally get it!!! I feel the same as you hun I dont think i can go back to CD at all even if this doesnt work out for me!!! Im on a DD today and after yesterday well the whole weekend I really just wanna eat to be honest!!!!

Im shattered also and that doesnt help!! What day to you weigh on???

I think it's the effects of the vlcd to be honest i'd give it a chance for your body to adjust before worrying . Try drink plenty of water , work out the cals on the juddd website , mine came out as approx 1900 and 400 and I'm heavier than you , so it might be a case of limiting more too .

looool babe i totally get it!!! I feel the same as you hun I dont think i can go back to CD at all even if this doesnt work out for me!!! Im on a DD today and after yesterday well the whole weekend I really just wanna eat to be honest!!!!

Im shattered also and that doesnt help!! What day to you weigh on???

im weighing on sat this week as i'll have to shift my down day to friday because i need 2 up for sat and sunday. will have to have another ID this thurs i think as that was meant to be my down but cant see me having 2 downs in a row, i'll go mad!

yes defo cant see me going back to cd after moving to food but could be tempted to do a week of SS just to get into the 8s! doubt i'd last 2 mins tho! x

I think it's the effects of the vlcd to be honest i'd give it a chance for your body to adjust before worrying . Try drink plenty of water , work out the cals on the juddd website , mine came out as approx 1900 and 400 and I'm heavier than you , so it might be a case of limiting more too .

this is what im hoping to be honest, i prob havent given it enough time to take shape. my cals on juddd website were higher than yours but ive put in moderate exercise as an option too as i do 30 mins of kettlebells every up day and 10 mins on a down so i regularly exercise which results in the cals being higher but im thinking of starting to introduce an ID every week to see if that makes a difference. my ups over the weekends have been very up and i think that hasnt helped matters so far lol so think the ID may help calm things down! x

mine are 397 and 1900 which is low and im a little disappointed x

mine are 397 and 1900 which is low and im a little disappointed x

you'll be fine on that hun, the DD is quite hard but things like sugar free jelly and small bowls of steamed veg are lifesavers on those days. plus u can use your CD shakes too! on the Ups, 1900 is plenty when coming off a vlcd really, again its all about utilising calories effectively, for example, i still have diet drinks and sugar free squash instead of the full fat stuff, so ur saving there, plus things like low fat mayo are great when making sandwiches. you can still stretch ur cals but it does allow for treats as well. im a massive chocaholic but what ive done is bought snacksize versions of my fave chocs and i have around 2 bars on an up day which still comes to less than 200 cals, so im still getting my fix but not wasting calories on a family size bar of choc! although the beauty of juddd is to have ur fave things, u still need to retrain yourself around food, otherwise you run the risk of overeating at some points, especially during times like Christmas, so if you learn to allow treats but still control that binge urge then you'll do really well on JUDDD. fingers crossed for good results for you hunni! xx

thanks lumps your soooo lovely xxxx

Im actually dying of starvation..... went gym and thought it might stop the hunger.........no chance eh!!!!

Im actually dying of starvation..... went gym and thought it might stop the hunger.........no chance eh!!!!

ooo i try and stay away from exercise on downs only because i find it increases my appetite. best thing to do if you want to exercise on downs is to try and do it later in the evening so then you're closer to your Up and won't have to curb the appetite for long! get some sugar free jelly, its the best! xx

hi misshapp, i think my worry is that because the DDs are consistently producing 1lb losses then the way i see it is that if i gain 1lb every up, i'll end up getting nowhere because the downs will just cancel the 1lb gain out rather than shifting more weight. plus the fact that ive had 2 ups in a row this wkend which resulted in a 3lbs gain, and now my DD yesterday only took 1lb off so im currently at 9st 4lbs with another up day today. even if i was lucky enough to stay the same tomorrow, my DD should only give me another 1lb loss which will take me to 9st 3lbs, so i may potentially end up gaining again at the end of this week :( i just dont see how it'll work in the long term if my DDs dont shift more than 1lb for me, i really dont know what to try to get things moving :( x

I don't think I explained myself well enough...sorry. When you say that a DD results in a lb loss and an UD results in a 3lb gain...tbh, it is impossible to judge weight gains/losses in such a short term. The way our bodies metabolise food is waaaayyy more complex than 'eat x one day and weigh y the next'. We have no idea for certain exactly when our bodies release the fat which we are using up - which we must be, due to the very fact that DDs produce a caloric deficit. We have no idea what water our bodies are storing and neither do we have a real idea of the exact weight of the food which could be in our system one day and not the next!

IF is *completely* different from other weight loss methods in that we are fuelling our bodies in a much less predictable way. Of course, therefore, the daily weights are going to be all over the shop! If you are going to continue weighing daily, I really think you need to get your head around these wild fluctuations which are very normal for IF. You can only judge if you are truly losing weight by looking at long term trends. So, consider weighing fortnightly or monthly but if you can't stop daily weighing then take a weekly average.

Like you, I've come off a vlcd and have dropped 2lbs in 3 weeks. Now by vlcd standards that's really slow but what about all the other benefits? Most likely there have been improvements in my blood sugar and bad cholesterol levels, reduction of inflammation indicators and hopefully reducing risks associated with Alzheimer's... the list of benefits could go on!

Please...give it time. Much more time.

MissHapp said:
I don't think I explained myself well enough...sorry. When you say that a DD results in a lb loss and an UD results in a 3lb gain...tbh, it is impossible to judge weight gains/losses in such a short term. The way our bodies metabolise food is waaaayyy more complex than 'eat x one day and weigh y the next'. We have no idea for certain exactly when our bodies release the fat which we are using up - which we must be, due to the very fact that DDs produce a caloric deficit. We have no idea what water our bodies are storing and neither do we have a real idea of the exact weight of the food which could be in our system one day and not the next!

IF is *completely* different from other weight loss methods in that we are fuelling our bodies in a much less predictable way. Of course, therefore, the daily weights are going to be all over the shop! If you are going to continue weighing daily, I really think you need to get your head around these wild fluctuations which are very normal for IF. You can only judge if you are truly losing weight by looking at long term trends. So, consider weighing fortnightly or monthly but if you can't stop daily weighing then take a weekly average.

Like you, I've come off a vlcd and have dropped 2lbs in 3 weeks. Now by vlcd standards that's really slow but what about all the other benefits? Most likely there have been improvements in my blood sugar and bad cholesterol levels, reduction of inflammation indicators and hopefully reducing risks associated with Alzheimer's... the list of benefits could go on!

Excellent post and totally motivating xx

thank misshapp, i wont be giving up on juddd anytime soon, but you see my point as to why im panicking about gains. The way i see it is at the mo if the pattern continues is that if i lose 1lb today i'll be 9.3 tmrw but if i gain say 1lb after tomorrows up ill be at 9.4 again then possibly 9.3 after the following down which will result in another gain on my official weekly weigh in, which is obviously demotivating. ive worked out the cals again on the juddd website and i think im going to follow the ones given for light exercise as i can chop and change my routine then. maybe im overjudging how hard my exercise is lol! x

Back