Smokers smoking diring work hours

b_44

Silver Member
Hello, this may sound a bit random but as a non smoker, I can't help but feel a little bit annoyed when my work colleagues get breaks to go out for their cigarettes!

We work in a small team (4 of us) and I am the only non smoker. My colleagues have at least 3 cigarettes each in a working day. We don't have lunch breaks, tea breaks etc due to the nature of our work and the fact that our working day is relatively short so people are able to go out for a cigarette when they like. I feel a bit mean but it does annoy me. I don't have a problem with the fact that they smoke, it's their choice after all, but I find it unfair that they are are able to pop out when they want to. I feel that they should smoke before and after work.

I don't think it's even the fact that I am biased because I think that even if I was a smoker, I would feel guilty about going so during my working hours.

What are your thoughts on this?

Edit: sorry meant during not diring!

I'm a smoker and I very, very rarely smoke at work. Maybe in the last year I've been out for a cigarette a couple of times during my lunch break but I'm not a heavy smoker so I guess I can cope with the cravings.

I feel the same as you and don't see why being a smoker means someone should get several breaks a day when non smokers don't. I think it's really quite anti social really, especially if you work in close quarters with other people because it's smelly! There are people in my office who go out every 30 minutes or so for a fag break and they come back in and stink the office out - yes even some smokers hate the smell! We have to shout at people who don't go to the smoking area and stand right by the front door/near open windows when smoking as that too stinks the place out. Rude!

I'd say it's a matter for either HR or senior management as it's discrimination. Try asking if you can leave 15 minutes early each day to make up for the 'fag breaks' you don't take and then see what happens.....

Thanks for the replies everyone, Im glad people agree as I was afraid that I would seem petty.

I have thought about saying something to my manager about it, but im a bit wary as it would be really obvious that it is me who said something (as the only non smoker), plus manager is a smoker too. I'm not an overly confrontational person either so Im not sure how to say anything to my colleagues, as much as I like the idea of e-cigarette breaks and leaving early lol.

No need to be confrontational about it, just ask what the smoking policy is at work and whilst you understand there are no official breaks, what provision could be put in place for the non-smokers who do not benefit from the 'paid breaks' the smokers are benefitting from. For example, can the non-smokers have a 15 - 20 minute coffee break in the day while the smokers be allowed to pop out for unlimited smoking breaks:) It seems a fair compromise to me.

No need to be confrontational about it, just ask what the smoking policy is at work and whilst you understand there are no official breaks, what provision could be put in place for the non-smokers who do not benefit from the 'paid breaks' the smokers are benefitting from. For example, can the non-smokers have a 15 - 20 minute coffee break in the day while the smokers be allowed to pop out for unlimited smoking breaks:) It seems a fair compromise to me.

Totally agree with this

I used to work with someone who was always popping out for cigarette breaks. He was the only one in the office who smoked. He then began to realise that things were happening in his absence.

"hey, no-one told me about that"
"oh, sorry, must have happened while you were out of the office"

Once he realised that he was missing out on things, his cigarette breaks became fewer and fewer!!

Back