Smotthie help pleaseeee

Jade_123

Hi, so I'm new to slimming world and my consultant said that any fruit etc not broken down by me is a syn eg; smoothies. Now I have a nutribullet and i LOVE what I call a grape escape smoothie for lunch occasionally (half a banana, 5 green grapes, handfuls of spinach, coconut water and ice) now surely the spinach doesnt have to be syned does it!? and would I syn the banana? and I have no idea how many syns is in coconut water lol any help would be appreciated please, I'm struggling to see how it could be syns when its so healthy :(

The grapes and the banana would by synned, but not the spinach. Fresh coconut water is 1 syn per 100 ml.

Check the calorie content of the coconut water from the tin/package and allow 1 syn per 20 calories.

You don't have to syn the spinach.

Sorry, crossposted with jogirl! Also meant to say that although many people do think that juices and smoothies are healthy, they do concentrate a lot of calories and a lot of fruit sugars into one drink which is consumed far more quickly than you would if you were eating the individual ingredients, which is why they are synned.

For instance, it would take you a while to eat and digest three oranges, but if you juiced them it would just make a couple of mouthfuls which would be gone in seconds.

Obviously, your drink contains spinach and so this doesn't apply so much, but that's the basic principle.

thanks for your replies guys, how will I find out how many syns are in 5 grapes and half a banana haha!? Yeah I understand about how quickly you can consume it etc but because I put so much water and ice in it takes longer to drink than eat anyway lol its super yummy though you should try it :D

I think there are 5 syns in a medium banana, not sure about the grapes 100g is 3 syns

Ok I'm about to be controversial lol

I understand all the reasons why SW requires us to syn pulped/blended fruit.

However - on my 5 stone loss (so far) journey I have often had a smoothie for breakfast. I look at the ingredients: in my case, a banana, a handful of mixed berries, a tablespoon of 0% greek yogurt, water. And I figure if I just put that in a bowl and ate it, it would be free. I'm not blending any more than I would just eat. I'm still eating the whole fruit, not just the juice. etc etc.

So I have never synned it. And I'm pretty sure it has never harmed my weight loss.

However - on my 5 stone loss (so far) journey I have often had a smoothie for breakfast. I look at the ingredients: in my case, a banana, a handful of mixed berries, a tablespoon of 0% greek yogurt, water. And I figure if I just put that in a bowl and ate it, it would be free. I'm not blending any more than I would just eat. I'm still eating the whole fruit, not just the juice. etc etc.

So I have never synned it. And I'm pretty sure it has never harmed my weight loss.

haha this is what I think! I'm two weeks in though with a total of 6lbs so far and for the first time in months I am so motivated and fully committed to this so I really don't want anything to hinder my weightloss or stall it at all so I think I'll stay away for now, maybe celebrate with one at my next weigh in lol :)

I totally agree that eating a smoothie this way wouldnt stall your weight loss. But I agree with the reasons behind sw synning them as a lot of people would blend loads of fruit and snack on them. Yours isnt much and its being used as a meal

Back