Some Motivation techniques I used the last time

damian

Hey all,

Just thought I would share some of the motivational techniques i used the last time with LT that really kept me going..

Photos:

1. I kept taking pics on a weekly basis and sent them to a close friend who lived abroad to show them my progress.. (they had agreed before hand) This worked well as it meant we kept in touch and I also felt I was eager to show them how well I was doing each week and so tried not to let them down :)
  2. I had some pictures on my laptop of people who I "envied" how they look, and everytime I was having a low point, I would look at the pictures for some inspiration.
Escape:

As soon as a dark thought or temptation would set in, I would get out of the situation as soon as possible.. For example, I would get my laptop and go online, call a friend for a chat that i know will chat for ages! , or even at one stage I think I ironed.. I found the worst thing I could do was stay static and allow myself to torture myself in the same situation.. In short I found distraction of any kind would beat the craving..

Looking at Sport or fit people

I would from time to time make sure I would look and read stories about olymic athletes, footballers, and other people known for having great stamina. Some stories I read were really inspirational ( I will find some I read and post later.)

Blog/Diary

I found visiting sites like these extremely useful, just to do even as I am doing now. Writing and chatting away. I think a big thing for me was trying to help others. Just because my personality is that way inclined, I am happy helping others.

Remember

I would always remember what it is I am achieving. I would put it into perspective and say that I have ate food all my life, and not eating for such a short period of time is not such a huge deal. Its just a holiday that when you come back, your tan will be the envy of all your friends! :) All the foods and drinks you enjoyed in the past will still be there in the future; even if its cream eggs, and sure you will just have to wait til next easter for them to come back! Its only a few months but it will change your life exponentially for the positive.

BUY CLOTHES!!!

I bought either a Shirt or T-shirt every 2 weeks that were too small, and one expensive piece which was a Prada Shirt cost an arm and a leg, but I was determined to fit into it. And I did on my birthday. It was great..

I think everyone who can should do this, It feels soo good when you get there, and keeps you determined everytime you see them in your waredrobe!

Do something new

I started playing guitar.. Well bought a guitar and am learing from watching videos online and from a book. I pick up the guitar every now and then and I focus on trying to learn a few strings and then practise and practise until I can play it without looking at music

Remember you are stronger than temptation and failuer ain't an option. Keep focus on the bigger picture. Fill your time with positive thoughts and practises and not your mouth!

I hope I am not sounding preachy, I just learned this stuff for myself and thought it might help some of you guys along

Cheerio

Damo
xx

Last edited:
Nice one.....I take my measurements too as if the weight loss isnt as expected the inches have usually gone down......also I go into the arcade on here and try to get a high score....though not been very successful.....lol.

Good one, I must go the Arcade! haha, havent played Bubble Bobble in years!

Another thing I forgot to say in my post, which was actually the BEST motivation for me was

BUY CLOTHES!!!

I bought either a Shirt or T-shirt every 2 weeks that were too small, and one expensive piece which was a Prada Shirt cost an arm and a leg, but I was determined to fit into it. And I did on my birthday. It was great..

I think everyone who can should do this, It feels soo good when you get there, and keeps you determined everytime you see them in your waredrobe!

Hi Damian,

Did you buy clothes at your target size or the next size down from where you were at on the day you bought them?

Nursey

Well, being a man, I couldn't work out what size I would fit into at my target weight, but I was wearing XL or XXL so I bought Shirts and T-shirts size Medium. I didn't buy jeans because I knew they would never be right if you understand me! but my waist went from 38inch to 32 inch.. So I had much more selection of jeans too to fit into

Superb post. Well done. I started with size 18-20, now im comfortable 16, bought 2 nice tops in 14 , and i could wear it now or in a week. So buying smaller cloeths its a big YES for me too!

Excellent advice! I have a wedding to go to in September and really don't know what weight I will be at by then though I am keeping myself motivated by thinking about the dress I will buy, hopefully not looking as I do now!

Nursey

What really helped me was making a chart to goal. I drew me at goal weight in a ball gown and the divided the skirt into the amount of pounds i had to lose. This means every week i can colour in a bit. Its a great motivation to keep going. I keep it on the back of my bedroom door so i see it a lot and think which bits i would colour in next.

As it is so visible to me it means I see it on bad days which spurs me on.

Thank you for your pst it has really helped me

Good tip - thanks :eek:)

Great ideas here! I'm definately going to sort through my clothes and find something I intend to fit in shortly!

I'm going to take some pictures and put them up in my bedroom to remind me how I don't want to look anymore.

In the past when I have dieted I have made myself a graph showing the weight loss that really motivated me. Just have to figure out how to do it again now! lol

x

What really helped me was making a chart to goal. I drew me at goal weight in a ball gown and the divided the skirt into the amount of pounds i had to lose./QUOTE]

That is an excellent idea!!! I might just "Borrow" that one :p

Back