Somethin' fishy

Discussion in 'Cambridge Weight Plan' started by LAINEY, 4 June 2007 Social URL.

1. LAINEY

LAINEY Cambridge Diet Counsellor

OMG!
    I've just had the most brain damaging experience! I'm a real pain in the butt fussy eater (as Linda would happily confirm!) but I've always enjoyed fresh white fish since a wee lass (I'm from Scotland originally b.t.w!!). Tonight, I bought myself a yummy fillet of smoked cod, skinned, boned, etc. Placed some butter on top, wrapped it in foil, cooked for 25mins - looked/smelt divine! I then proceeded to tuck in, not really paying too much attention, as I was watching the telly. Then I spotted something "not right". It was a WORM! :eek: Yep - you read right - a frigging worm! :sign0137:

After throwing-up what I had already eaten (not through choice - it just happened!), I searched on Google to find out more. It's apparently extremely common in all white fish (great - just what I need to know) and completely harmless if cooked thoroughly. That doesn't help my brain out :sigh:. After reading several articles on the subject in the last half hour, its occurred to me, that I may well have consumed these critters in the past, and been completely oblivious to it - eeeuurrgh! How gross!
    Have contacted the supermarket, who really are only obliged to offer a refund and/or replacement. They said to call back in the morning when Customer Services were open to discuss further.
    Since starting to type this, my other half has come in from work, finds it a bit gross, but incredibly funny at my over-reaction!!!!

Mini likes this.
  2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Mini

Mini Administrator Staff Member

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    16st5lb
    Lost(%):
    1st9lb(9.13%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I thought it was only in Cod!

To read more click on link

Round Worms in Fish

4. icemoose

icemoose The Diet Guy

Diet:
    Don't diet anymore!
    Oh my word! I don't want to read the article as I love fish and get the feeling it will put me right off....

5. spooky

spooky Banned

Urrgh! Fish is off my menu now
    <<shudder>>

6. arcticmonkeys

arcticmonkeys Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    Oh my lord! I'm scared of fish as it is, although I don't mind eating it too much. Put me off for life has that! I wouldn't call it an over-reaction :O

7. Mini

Mini Administrator Staff Member

Start Weight:
    18st0lb
    Current Weight:
    16st5lb
    Lost(%):
    1st9lb(9.13%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    It would not put me off!

8. kazbro

kazbro jelly belly

Start Weight:
    20st5lb
    Current Weight:
    18st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st5lb(11.58%)
    Diet:
    cambridge
    :sign0137:

9. arcticmonkeys

arcticmonkeys Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge
    Lol saying that...right now I'd eat anything :p

Mini likes this.
  10. CW Consultant

CW Consultant Gold Member

One of my counsellors told me about cod worms :eek: her husband works at Billingsgate market.

Bit scary isn't it! Wonder what the worm thought:eat::rotflmao: when it saw Lainey.

I can see the funny side but it would be different if it was me finding it:jelous::sign0137:

Hope you get over the shock soon:patback:

And as for Gary :whoopass:

11. lancslass53

lancslass53 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    15st7lb
    Current Weight:
    11st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st7lb
    Lost(%):
    4st1lb(26.27%)
    Diet:
    CD
    Well i WAS going to have fish tomorrow night, think ill pass now :sign0137:

12. MadamDotty

MadamDotty Back again!

Diet:
    The Harcombe Diet
    OMG my stomach is churning just reading that. I love fish but will be checking it very, very carefully in future.

Although I mainly eat Salmon, is it a problem in Salmon too anyone know????

Worried Dotty!

13. LAINEY

Hi "Worried Dotty"!
    Found a really informative blog called "Beyond Salmon" which a fairly clued up chapess lists the following fish as alternatives to the white varieties, unlikely to contain the round worms.

...salmon, trout, bluefish, red snapper, striped bass, mediterranean bass (branzino), sea bream (orata), mackerel, sable. As long as you avoid white fleshed fish, the odds of seeing a cod worm are close to zero. This isn't to say there couldn't be other parasites, but they are not likely to be visible and ikky looking.

So looks like salmon is okay for you hunny! My new found problem, is that I only tend to eat the white fish varieties! Can't stand fish with tons of ickle bones in, and sure can't prepare a fish that still looks like a fish! Gary can. He goes fishing frequently, can catch, gut, cook, the lot. I can't even bare to be near the kitchen when he doing that!

Am so p*ssed off now! I really enjoyed my fish once/twice a week! Just puts me off - for now anyways! Why the hell couldn't have been a worm in a chocolate bar, or a sponge cake, huh? That would have been a far more useful deterent and helpful to me!!! :giggle:

14. sallies

sallies Full Member

Diet:
    cambridge diet
    Found a worm in cod from the coop once and a friend found a tapeworm in haddock. So quite common place. I eat a lot of fish but now thats reminded me perhaps i will stick to quorn again until ive forgotten about it.
    Apparently it is quite common in fish but you don't usually see them cause you've cooked it and it becomes harmless then.
    :sign0137:

15. shellyamber

shellyamber Full Member

Diet:
    meal replacement
  16. MadamDotty

MadamDotty Back again!

Diet:
    The Harcombe Diet
    LOL - always the way, thoughtless worms honestly - not a care for anyone but themselves!! :p

17. Barb

Barb Gold Member

Diet:
    Healthy eating/Food diary
    Well thanks Lainey, I was just feeling really hungry then (DD on JUDDD) and now I have read this I don't!

See that worm has done me a good service at least. I must say I have never heard of worms in fish - puts me right off!

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. Jayne33

Jayne33 Fighting for My Health

Start Weight:
    20st12.4lb
    Current Weight:
    17st7.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st4.9lb(16.04%)
    Diet:
    Exante Total Solution Plus
    Am so grossed out! Love white fish, but never knew that about worms and maybe other parasites. Don't think I'll ever look at it in the same light again - ewwww! The vegetarian option is looking more and more appealing!

Oh yes, why couldn't it be chocolate or something like that lol

Jayne x

20. Ceri

Ceri Full Member

Diet:
    cambridge diet
    You poor thing! I would NEVER eat fish again if I were you. Then again if you're worried about the fish worms how do you feel about the beef and pork worms?
    Hmmm am starting to wonder why I am not veggie!!
    Ceri

21. LAINEY

Beef and pork worms Ceri?!!!:eek:
    OMG - is no food safe from wriggly things??!!
    I don't eat much beef or pork, but anyone reading this, PLEASE, please don't inform me about anything parasitic or problematic with chicken - otherwise I'm totally screwed!!!:( Becoming veggie is not an option for me neither, as I don't eat any veg or salad (not for the lack of trying!:sigh:). So - any chicken info - keep schtum - as I can't afford to know!!!!;)

22. MadamDotty

MadamDotty Back again!

Diet:
    The Harcombe Diet
    Ignorance is definately bliss Lainey!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.