Somewhat new to dukan - 3rd week - questions

diana.d

Hey!

I started the dukan diet after someone recommended it to me saying it worked wonders for her and i thought i gave it a try.

I must admit, I didn't have the guts to weigh myself before I started, but I noticed losing some weight after the 6 days attack phase and I convinced myself to get on the scale. It said 70kg.

That was a week ago and since then not much of a change. I am alternating 1 PP/ 1 PV and I'm trying not to slip or when and if I do (for example at some point I had a bit of regular 3% fat yogurt or another day I ate some sardines in oil, draining them as much as I could, because there wasn't anything else in the fridge from the allowed list) I am very careful what I eat for the rest of the day.

Until now I haven't started exercising, but I think I'm going to. I have kind of a hectic schedule, I am constantly moving from one part of town to the other and I am tired most of the time so that is why I haven't included a training programme.

I am 1,72 m tall and my goal weight is 58-60 kg. With Christmas knocking on the door it would really help to see the scale going down a bit to keep me motivated when faced with all those Chrismas treats.

Anyway, I have a few questions and didn't know where to ask so I figured maybe some of you guys could help:

- How do you manage dehydration? Although I drink like 3 liters + of water daily, my skin and lips are always really dry and I am always thirsty...Should I eat less of something...? :confused: I don't know, meat... or just keep drinking more water (if that is even possible)

- What should I do if I can't avoid having something to drink when going out? what would you say it's the best way to get back on track?

- Is it normal not to lose weight at start? Has it happened to you and if so, how did you overcome it? How much till I should see some result?

Thank you in advance :eek:

My experience is that the weight loss happens in chunks - but usually if I have a 'plateau' week it is one of three things:

1. Dropping off the exercise
2. Dropping off the hydration (sounds like you have that nailed)
3. Salt - I'd be careful with the salt in your food (that could be contributing to your dehyrdration)

Drinking when I go out has been pretty easy, when you say you cannot avoid it.... what do you mean. If the issue is being 'socially acceptable' then I drink sparkling water with ice and lemon/lime... that looks like a vodka and tonic - and so I look as cool as I ever did... if the issue is will power, then coping strategies are probably different... I have never had that issue very much and giving up drinking is easy when I think of benefits of being slimmer, healthier and generally more gorgeous.

Personally - I would try and get the exercise going, check the salt content and keep the hydration well up.

Stay focused and keep us posted!

Edit - also, you might need to be careful not to eat TOO LITTLE.... Dukan tells us to eat till we're full, you don't want to be putting your body into starvation mode.

Last edited:
Hey!

I started the dukan diet after someone recommended it to me saying it worked wonders for her and i thought i gave it a try.

I must admit, I didn't have the guts to weigh myself before I started, but I noticed losing some weight after the 6 days attack phase and I convinced myself to get on the scale. It said 70kg.

That was a week ago and since then not much of a change. I am alternating 1 PP/ 1 PV and I'm trying not to slip or when and if I do (for example at some point I had a bit of regular 3% fat yogurt or another day I ate some sardines in oil, draining them as much as I could, because there wasn't anything else in the fridge from the allowed list) I am very careful what I eat for the rest of the day.

Until now I haven't started exercising, but I think I'm going to. I have kind of a hectic schedule, I am constantly moving from one part of town to the other and I am tired most of the time so that is why I haven't included a training programme.

I am 1,72 m tall and my goal weight is 58-60 kg. With Christmas knocking on the door it would really help to see the scale going down a bit to keep me motivated when faced with all those Chrismas treats.

Anyway, I have a few questions and didn't know where to ask so I figured maybe some of you guys could help:

- How do you manage dehydration? Although I drink like 3 liters + of water daily, my skin and lips are always really dry and I am always thirsty...Should I eat less of something...? :confused: I don't know, meat... or just keep drinking more water (if that is even possible)

- What should I do if I can't avoid having something to drink when going out? what would you say it's the best way to get back on track?

- Is it normal not to lose weight at start? Has it happened to you and if so, how did you overcome it? How much till I should see some result?

Thank you in advance :eek:

hi & welcome on board,

the only advice I will give is read the book cover to cover. In it he says you can't do dukan half heartedly..its an all or nothing otherwise it doesn't work. If you follow the rules, water, food, oatbran & 30 min walk daily, I promise you, you will get the results you want :)

its a shame you didn't weigh day one, because you probably had a huge loss in the first 6 days.

as for the booze, it's a no-no. I would not deviate for at the very least a month, then if you've got a night out planned you can experiment seeing how much your loss is that week, or do PP the day before & day after.

good luck!!

:)

x

Thanks for your advice.

I'll definitely start some more serious training starting next week as my weekend is full, but I walk a lot, much more that the recommended 30 minutes by far, so that will have to do for now.

Regarding the drinks, yes, social pressure I was mostly talking about which can be really annoying and hard to avoid. Otherwise I can do without alcohol pretty well. (And sweets for that matter, I actually can't believe that I almost don't miss them at all)

I would have thought about salt too, but I don't use salt in my food, except perhaps the tiny amount my mom uses on the meat along with other spices, but that's all.

This thing, with eating too much or too little, has always been a mistery to me. I eat when I'm hungry, till I'm not, never feeling too full. Just don't ask me in calories because it is a language I don't speak :)

Andi, thank you too for your answer.

I read the whole book before even starting. I like doing my homework ;) It's sort of a different thing however to get some input from people who can actually empathise and give real time advice than work on theory alone.

Yes, I kind of regret not weighing from the beginning now, it's just that I dread scales for the way they make me feel about myself and how they manage to ruin my day almost every time. I noticed the loss on my clothes though.

Looking on your progress record, I now realize that I almost caught a cold last week and so I began taking some paracetamol and oscillo to help with it. Maybe that somehow affected my progress...I don't know....

Back