Sorry if TMI but constipation is killing me!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi girls and guys,

My Dukan diet is going well ish (I have yet to weigh in since day 1), but today (day 4 on attack) i am super grumpy and feeling sick, physically and mentally over meat!

My biggest pain in the ass (see what I did there?!!) is the constipation. Sqeemish people look away now....

I havent had a bowel movement since Sunday now and I am feeling pretty clogged up and horrid. After having my second child a couple of years ago, I ended up with a fissure (not sure if thats how its spelt) which is a small tare around the anus (tmi again - sorry) and it was damn painful and going no.2s was agony, almost worse than the childbirth it self!! (joke, obviously!!) I am so terrified that I am straining so much to go poopoos that I am gona do this to myself again, and I am seriously consdering giving up the diet for this reason. I NEED fibre in my diet!

Does anyone know if i can have fibregel? i was prescribed it by the doc when I had the problem mentioned above and this sorted me out. but im not sure how this stands with dukan?

Yes it's ok to use fibogel it's fairly natural stuff and gets things moving! But try rhubarb, it's allowed on attack and unlimited on cruise and works fine for breAkfast as a mover and shaker so to speak.....
also you may want to include 2 tablspoon wheat bran as a tolerated in muffins,porridge etc, cos its not quite the same as oatbran and has a gentle laxative effect.

My daily remedy for blockage is rhubarb and muffins, which seem to keep things ticking along nicely. When I was in early stages I used fibogel to make sure things moved, but I don't need that now.

Hope you feel better soon!

Not to disagree with super, but wheatbran is only 1tbsp a day to help with transition. It is mentioned in that book that we can have this, i use it every day and halve my allowances for porridge and muffins or bread.

Rhubarb allowed on PV days unlimited, but 100g of stewed rhubarb on PP days. it really does work.

I have had lactolose to help on occasions. Make sure its natural and you should be ok. Even if you do have something you shouldn't, keep control of it, don't overdo anything else. Most of us only go every couple of days anyway, and usually after a veg day.

Sorry yes duknotfstty is right 1 tbsp per day in cruise is the tolerated amount of wheat bran. I'm thinking of my recipe for muffins where I put in 2 tbsp of wheat bran and 4 tbsp of oatbran. It makes 6 muffins and I have 2 per day.

The other thing to do is keep your fluid levels up - plenty of water to bulk out helps. Some people find a really strong coffee first thing in the morning helps to jolly things along.

and an ice cold glass of water... walking too often does it for me.
Be sure to have plenty of green veg on a PV day too.
We don't need to go as much as on other diets, usually every other day, but that uncomfortable feeling is horrid!
Good luck!
x

I am still 'bunged' up today so I am gona go get some rhubard from marksies in a minute, im hoping they do some kind of cooked rhubard otherwise ill have to eat it raw - im that desperate! If that fails ill have some fibregel when I get home!!

I have a desk job so sitting in front of the computer is not comfortable at all!!

Well, no need for the uncooked rhubard! my body has had a clear out!! lol!! ;)

damn cavegirl!! i didnt think about that! off to the scales i go!

wana_be skinny_mumy i am having the same trouble with constipation i noticed the othr day iots been like 5 days to a weeks for a good bowel movement. I am going to go buy some rhubarb today and get creative with things to eat. im over all the plan foods just steak sausages tuna yoghurt and oatbran. In 17 days i have only lost 1.6 kg does this sound right. I had lost more but i put some back on.

i have a desk job to so its hard to get time to do exercise with working and looking after the kids,.

Sorry yes duknotfstty is right 1 tbsp per day in cruise is the tolerated amount of wheat bran. I'm thinking of my recipe for muffins where I put in 2 tbsp of wheat bran and 4 tbsp of oatbran. It makes 6 muffins and I have 2 per day.

The other thing to do is keep your fluid levels up - plenty of water to bulk out helps. Some people find a really strong coffee first thing in the morning helps to jolly things along.
LOL Super, I do the muffin thing too, its remembering to only eat that portion though, very yum.

and an ice cold glass of water... walking too often does it for me.
Be sure to have plenty of green veg on a PV day too.
We don't need to go as much as on other diets, usually every other day, but that uncomfortable feeling is horrid!
Good luck!
x
Ooo Green veg, reminds me. Spinach. I have had it a couple of times this last two weeks and does the trick every time, takes about 4 hours, but it works.

Well, no need for the uncooked rhubard! my body has had a clear out!! lol!! ;)
YAY!!!!

wana_be skinny_mumy i am having the same trouble with constipation i noticed the othr day iots been like 5 days to a weeks for a good bowel movement. I am going to go buy some rhubarb today and get creative with things to eat. im over all the plan foods just steak sausages tuna yoghurt and oatbran. In 17 days i have only lost 1.6 kg does this sound right. I had lost more but i put some back on.

i have a desk job to so its hard to get time to do exercise with working and looking after the kids,.
I don't really exercise, its just housework and stuff like that. Don't have time. But just going up and down the stairs with things straight away instead of piling things up at the bottom will be a little bit more. Walk up and down the garden a few times. Anything is better than nothing, it definately doesn't need to be a gym workout.

Hi chick! Do you keep a food diary on here iv found it really helpful to keep track of what iv been eating and their are a lot if experienced Dukaners that will look over it and give tips and advice! X

I so do not have time to do a gym workout with two kids under 5! I walk my dog about 15 mis or so, but i always have to take my 2 yr old so i cant go too far! i also live in country lanes so cant go too far in tghe evenings as there are no street lights! oh how i miss civilisation!
x

Two children under 5 and a dog sounds like a gym workout in itself!

i know what you mean re the dark lanes and walking etc, but it will be much lighter in a weeks time when the clocks go forward. Lets hope the weather remembers to get into spring mode as well.

Good luck!

15mins a day is still exercise, a heck of a lot more than me. Blimey, you're doing ok hun x

Hey your probs doing more exercise that you realise I watched Freedie a couple of hour and i'm shattered so your a full time 'going to be skinny mummy' and I defo say thats exercise xxx

I had problems in the beginning and have since realised that if I don't have my Oat Bran or drink enough water I still get blocked up.

I have trouble having the oat bran every day as I find it really boring just mixed in with yogurt. So I went to the dukan website and bought some Oatbran coconut biscuits and a box of Oatbran toffee cereal. So now I have the cereal in the morning if I fancy it or if not then I'll have the biscuits in the evening with a cup of tea. Both feel like a real treat and it seems to have made all the difference to the diet. Give it a try. x

I make porridge for my breakfast. Doesnt cost more than the bag of oatbran and I can add rhubarb or goji berries if I want. I also do a breakfast ona sunday which includes putting an egg in the mix and heating slowly in a pan. Very yum and increased the portion size.

Back