South Beach diet

nictastic

Says it as it is!!!
Anyone got any good info or website/book reccomendations???
Looking for something to lose the last 6 lb s or so quickly without TRF

LOL...what you doing in this section hun? Don't blame you for wanting an alternative to SSing...its tough, especially when you are so close to goal, it seems to get more difficult....very odd!!

I don't know a lot about South Beach, but am very interested to find out more. Obviously I've heard about it as all the 'stars' have done it. I wonder if its like low GI?

Hi guys

South Beach is great - effectively low GI, healthy fats - olive oil, avocado, nuts etc, healthy carbs - beans, wholemeal etc, lean low-fat proteins. I am going to use this for my maintenance - I feel personally it seems so much healthier than Atkins. My OH has been following this whilst I've been on W8 - and he's lost 2.5 stone since April (and has been drinking as normal - naughty boy - would probably lost more if he'd have cut out the cider!!!!)

The diet is in 3 phases - Phase 1: 2 weeks of very restricted carbs, no booze, no fruit. This phase is to break the carb addiction - but if you switch straight from SSing, you wont have a carb addiction!!!!

Phase 2 reintroduces some low gi fruit, good carbs - beans/pulses - this phase is to lose your weight.

Phase 3 is maintenance - and is in the main a low-gi plan, with some wholemeal breads and cereals in moderation, sweet potatoes instead of potatoes etc.

The book's really good - and explains all the principles really well. I've also got the South Beach Good carbs/Good fats Guide - which gives handy lists of food with their GI values and whether you should eat them freely, in moderation, occasionally, rarely or never!!!

The South Beach Diet Cookbook is great - lovely glossy full colour book - which I've cooked from even when I'm not on a diet!!!

There is a website www.southbeachdiet.com and you can do it online - but think you have to pay. There is a free 7-day trial.

I sound like an advert don't I? Sorry - its just nobody seems to talk about South Beach much on here and its a great plan!! I have also found some nice Low-GI cookbooks recently, an Australian Women's Weekly "Low fat Low GI" on Amazon and in Sainsburys at mo for a fiver. Low GI food for friends by Almina Govindji - £4 on Amazon.

Good luck with whatever you decide - and if you go down this route I'll join you when i get to my maintenance - 8lbs away from initial target (though like you may try and lose another few pounds eventually!)

Carol x

Thanks C ...LIKING THE AOUND OF THIS TOO!!! XXX I am going to invest in a book and compare all the diets xx

I'm a South Beacher... :D There's not many of us about on this forum I don't think. I'm in Phase 2.
The book is brilliant, really clear and there's loads of infor and recipes online and like Carol said the recipe books are good.
The thing I like about this diet (the same with GI diets) is it teaches you how to make the right food choices.
If you have any questions just give me a yell!

~Silence~

Back