Spending too much!

xeilidhx

Gold Member
So I've realised through poor planning that I'm spending a fortune on dukan!! I end up buying poor options-cooked chicken etc which i know could make me stall etc. It's just so handy! So I've decided to tally up what I spend this month (payday-payday) on food to make me think before I buy! I've just been to tesco and bought lots of fresh chicken and turkey. And herbs etc to season. Need to behave!

Not necessarily suggesting folk put money tallies here (I'm doing mine on my kitchen board!) but any money saving tips/advice would be great!

A month under 150 (200 max!!!) is the aim!! Here we go! X

In a normal eating month id spend about £200 on the 2 of us but if we're doing Dukan we're guaranteed to spend another £20 a week on top of that!

I often have to buy extras at lunch coz im not satisfied with what ive bought to work with me! Normally only seem to be able to get ready cooked chicken and packet meats which cost a fortune!

So my advice ( coz i didnt add any tips) buy lots of frozen chicken, its fine in currys etc, look out for reduced/marked down stuff, always good for the freezer. Get yourself to Iceland or Lidl, meat and eggs are so much cheaper!

Also the 3 for £10s are good, i batch cook chicken thighs and legs for lunches coz theyre quick and easy!

I've got a batch of three for 10 turkey steaks on now...my problem is I'm only buyin for 1!

Farm foods chicken breasts and fish range is a good price and all can be cooked from frozen. I don't live alone but I cook for myself hubby eats different. So great for just pulling what you want out and straight in cooker or microwave.

Yes it is expensive - I keep treating myself to a fillet steak etc which adds to the food bill but worth every penny especially 7 stone down the line and the money I save not having take aways at least five times a week!!!!

trudyc said:
Yes it is expensive - I keep treating myself to a fillet steak etc which adds to the food bill but worth every penny especially 7 stone down the line and the money I save not having take aways at least five times a week!!!!

I didn't eat crap that often :( but was still getting bigger! How can crisps and cheese be cheaper than protein!?!? Boo! Hahaha! I just need to keep buying it and hope I'll get to 4 stone off eventually!! Steak is every time I go out! X

farmfoods is brilliant... their chicken breast are much nicer than tesco ar asdas basic one and you get much more for your money... a big pack of asda or tesco basics chicken is £4 for 500g , farmfoods is £4.50 for a kilo or 2 for £8 ;) i buy most my fish etc in there now. i also buy the hug pack of mince in tecos and split it into portions.... packs of turkey breast are frozen individually i buy the cheapest eggs in the biggest packs possible untill i get my chickens lol. we are around £60 ish a week for 2 ppl... but we are saving money as we are not eating out weekly just now untill the new tax year starts in a weeks time lol

when i'm not on a diet i might spend less in my normal shop but then i forget the added things i buy at local shop when i want a treat plus take outs.
when i'm on a diet it appears i spend more on my weekly shop but i'm not cause i plan ahead get everything i need and rarely go shop again and def no take outs.
plus having good food for you is worth spending alittle more.

I'll need to try farmfoods eillie. I'm so aware of the amount I'm spending at the moment cause the overdraft is used quicker each month! I waste too much too...I worry I'll be hungry so cook snacks and theres far too much! That's where packets of precooked meat were great! Might try wee pots of quark instead of total 0%.

So far today I've avoided buying anything! I want to get to go out for meals etc so I'm not going to be that strict, just paying attention to what I'm getting!

I just checked, I spend £160 per month on dukan (£240 a month approx. in total that includes food for the non-dukaner :)).

I agree it's more expensive than bulk buying carby things, but the trade off is to be healthier and slimmer. PLUS it's not forever :) - not that I'd advocate going back to "old ways" but once we an introduce a little more carbs back etc things will get cheaper.

As the others have shown it's about shopping around. I am too lazy to walk all over the town going from shop to shop, parking is a nightmare and publicl transport (let's not go there :), I also don't trust myself to be in shops for too long at the mo :) so it's all online ordering....that way I can see how much I'm spending as I go along and I'm not tempted :D win-win situation x

Reading these posts I spend to much, I over buy incase I run out.....well tomorrow before I shop I will make a list and stick to it.

Last edited:
I realize I spend a lot on food... but that's that.
Thank God I have a job and enough money for everything I need.

sididd said:
Reading these posts I spend to much, I over buy incase I run out.....well tomorrow before I shop I will make a list and stick to it.

Although I bought more today, I got a few freezer meals out of it! Just interesting being more aware of what and when I'm spending!

Yeah I just accepted this diet as more protien=more cash, but looking at what other spend I just supermarket shop as it was a thing I must do every week....I'm like a rat I do the same route no matter what, and cannot walk past a bogof, really this thread has made me think....buying food WAS part of my issue with food, I have stupid amounts of dried products, and tins, if the supermarkets where to go on strike tomorrow we wouldn't need anything for ages, which says a lot.....so while I'm achieving a new body, its time to deal with the 'mental' buying issues. Feel like I need to give myself a pat on the back, another demon has surfaced and hopefully another battle will be won x

sididd said:
Yeah I just accepted this diet as more protien=more cash, but looking at what other spend I just supermarket shop as it was a thing I must do every week....I'm like a rat I do the same route no matter what, and cannot walk past a bogof, really this thread has made me think....buying food WAS part of my issue with food, I have stupid amounts of dried products, and tins, if the supermarkets where to go on strike tomorrow we wouldn't need anything for ages, which says a lot.....so while I'm achieving a new body, its time to deal with the 'mental' buying issues. Feel like I need to give myself a pat on the back, another demon has surfaced and hopefully another battle will be won x

I realised that in every uni flat and flat since I've never moved out with empty cupboards. Each time despite knowing I'd always buy too much! Trying to stop the waste!

i very rarely buy tins of food & never buy microwave meals now lol ...the only tins i do but are chopped tomatoes ... tins of peaches, custard and peas for hubby and thats it

My hubby loves tins beans and sausage and fry bentos pies and I must have 10 tins mushrooms in brine, you know they are hard to find they in water now lol see obsessive x

Whooo stuck to my list ish, saved on fish and chicken in farmfoods, then asda and lidl wish I could get all the shops in a row would save time x

I bought some chicken for 21p....didn't technically need it but it's so cheap haha! Sticking mainly to plan, except buying diet coke which I think I deserved as a treat!

Back