Splenda brown sugar blend

HellieCopter

Gold Member
Woohoo! I found some in Quality Save (gawd I lurve that place...some fab bargains!) and now I am itching to cook with it.

Anyone know any good baking recipes that work well with it?

H x

I love the sugar blend splenda, taste much better than normal sweetener because of the sugar content and obviously you dont need as much as normal sugar.

I also prefer to use splenda as it has no aspartame.

You can get a white sugar blend splenda here now too, it is great in cakes.

I recently made a fruit and spice scan bran cake. Recipe is on my blog. Will copy and paste it over here for you. It was so yummy and the best bit was. I couldnt taste the scan bran. lol

(before going in oven) (out of the oven)

serves 4-6
11.5 syns for the entire cake on Green, Red or Extra Easy
Ingredients
5 scan bran (5 syns)
2 eggs
1/4 cup of vanilla yoghurt (fat free)
1 tsp of cinnamon
1/2 tsp of all spice
zest of a lemon
28g of sultanas (4 syns)
1 tsp of baking powder (0.5 syns)
2 tablespoons of brown sugar blend Splenda (2 syns)
buttery flavour Frylight or Pam spray

Method
Preheat oven to 200c or 400f
Grease a ovenproof round cake tin with some non stick spray
In a dish, soak the scan bran in some boiling hot water to soften.
Add scan bran to a large bowl.
Add the cinnamon, all spice, baking powder and brown sugar blend splenda.
Separate the yolks from the eggs into a small bowl. Set the egg whites aside
Add the yoghurt, vanilla extract and lemon zest to the egg yolks and whisk.
Add this mixture into the scan bran.
Spray a couple of sprays of buttery frylight or pam into the mixture
Add the sultanas and mix thoroughly.
Whisks your eggs whites into meringue peaks, and fold them into the scan bran mixture.
Pour the cake mixture into your greased cake tin, and bake in the oven for approx 30-40mins, a toothpick entered into the centre of the cake should come out clean. But you don’t want the cake to dry out too much, it should still be nice and moist in the middle.
Serve with 4 tablespoons of light squirty cream for an extra 1 syn

if you wanted you could also use some extra brown sugar blend and sprinkle some on top, the cake is nice and moist and was a good substitue to bread and butter pudding. :p

Thanks BMIC :)

I'll go look at the Splenda site too. Just back from class, so will get some ingredients tomorrow and see what I can knock together!

Just remember to count the brown spenda from your syns as it is not syn free. Silverspoon do a brown sweetener that is syn free - I like it sprinkled on my porridge!

oooooh, just dug this thread up from the depths............. would love brown sweetner.
The Silver spoon one is FREE and Silverspoon website says ASDA and Morrisons stock it............... whether MY ASDA stocks it is another matter. Will look this week

Would anyone know where to get the splenda brown sugar blend I have tried everywhere and my asda doesnt do the silverspoon one either, dont want to pay the hyped up prices to get it from the usa thanks xxx

Wow Britmum my mouth is watering!! Your photos are ace, do you have a super cool camera?

I've looked at your site and thought you might want to add some of your photos to foodgawker | feast your eyes - it's a really nice site.

I have looked all over for the brown sugar blend - different branches of Asda, Saino's, Tesco and Morrison's. Anyone got any hot leads??!!??!

Splenda no longer sell it in the UK - that's why you can't find it any more although you can sometimes find it in bargain shops that sell end of lines etc.

Thanks guys
silvermane we only have 1 home bargains here it only opened a few months ago and they dont have any but ty have tried poundland, rang asda about the brown sweetener but they dont stock it over here so thats a no go to
thanks again xx

Unfortunately, unless Splenda change their stance, we wont be able to buy Brown Sugar blend Splenda on a reliable basis in the UK. I emailed them a while back and got this response:

"
Thank you for your recent E-Mail to the SPLENDA® Information Service.
Unfortunately, SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend was discontinued from the UK and Irish markets at the end of 2009, due to a lack of demand.
We are sorry for any inconvenience caused.
Should you require any further assistance in future, please do not hesitate to contact us again.
Kind regards,
The SPLENDA® Team"

You might be lucky enough to pick some end of line bargains in places as mentioned earlier in this thread - there are no Home bargains/B&M/Quality Save in my part of the world - I've tried poundland with no luck, so I'm guessing it aint gonna happen.

Just wish slimming world would realise this and stop taunting us with recipes on their website that we cant possibly make!!

Back