Starting Calorie Counting - Any Tips?

Hi Guys,

Have just started calorie counting for my diet.

Does anyone have any tips to help with weight loss dieting this way? Or what people find to be the optimum number of calories to be consuming for maximum weight loss?

I'm also going to be drinking 8 glasses of water a day, does anyone know if you can maximise weight loss by drinking slightly more?

Fi x x x

Hiya,

I've just come back to calorie counting to lose weight too. I don't use it myself but I know lots of people like the My Fitness Pal site for working out their calorie intake target, and recording their food and exercise. Why don't you have a look? :)

I agree, myfitnesspal is fantastic. My biggest piece of advice is don't be too strict, let yourself have a little of what you want but work it into your calories. If you don't, you'll be more likely to just go off the rails completely. And if you have a bad day, don't beat yourself up about it, there's always a tomorrow to start again!

Yeah I had a weak lunch and ate 3 cadburys creme eggs and a massive bag of crisps. I had always been prone to bingeing but to counteract this and stay within my 1200 net cals for the day I only had fruit for dinner and did 1 hour on my stepper machine :) any other diet and I would have given up, called it a wasted day but im under my limit and feeling strong :)

Also mfp is a bloody godsend. Great for shopping to work out portion calories and to plan meals quickly.

I agree mfp is brilliant!

Drinking the recommended daily allowance of water helps many many things including wight loss, look it up on Internet it's very interesting x

I just started calorie counting too and am totally in love with myfitnesspal lol. Good luck, in the couple of days ive been doing it I've found it so much less restrictive than other diets like WW or slimming world

Well I'm onto day 5 and I haven't given in yet which is very unlike me on other diets! I'm quite enjoying calorie counting, eating everything i want, just in smaller portions to keep the cals down :) Probably how I should have been eating all along!

I've only signed up to mfp for 2 days, but I find it really useful. I keep it signed on whilst I am at work and just add foods as I eat. Does anyone know if they have an app for blackberry? Would be handy to be able to add foods anytime

Not sure if this is any help to anyone or if its been mentioned before, but just thought I'd let you know about an alternative calorie counter website similar to mfp. I can't remember why, but for some reason I seemed to prefer it over mfp. Theres no forum but its really helping me stay on track. Anyway, the website is foodfocus.co.uk :)

I've managed to survive my first week, and didn't find it that bad! Like you numnums, I think if I craved something bad, I just worked it into my calories. I also made sure I exercised more. Lost 4lb's in my first week so I'm a happy bunny for now! :)

That's a great loss! Well done x

Back