Staying on plan when under the weather

Grunka Lunka

Hello! I was just wondering how people make Slimming World work for them when they're feeling under the weather? I've had a cold all weekend and I'm feeling pretty rubbish but I find that I really struggle to stay on plan when I'm feeling rough.

On both Saturday and Sunday I started the days with the best intentions - free yogurts, loads of fresh fruit etc. Then I stayed in bed all weekend and ate EVERYTHING! Found my husband's crisps and ate them, about 4 small bags of popcorn, Alpen Light and HiFi bars (2 a day plus bread on top of that so well over my healthy extras!), cheese (way more than a HEA allowance!), jelly beans, margarine in pasta...yeah the list goes on. I thought that feeling poorly would make me lose my appetite but the complete opposite happened.

I do SW with my Mum and when she's poorly she loses her appetite and all she eats is fruit and yogurt so she has losses of 3-4lbs and she's a target member! Oh how I wish I could be like that...

Does anyone else struggle like me or am I just far too greedy? :)

If you're feeling poorly, it's probably best to eat more and lots of stodgy food to keep your energy levels up. That's probably what's gone wrong this weekend. When I feel pants, stuff like beans on toast or a jacket potato makes me feel better. Plus it's quick to make in the microwave. If all I had eaten was fruit and yogurt I'd be starving and emptying the cupboards!

I'm defo with you! I want to eat for England! At the moment I'm eating a lot of soup and going to bed very early to combat eating lots whilst this cold takes hold of me!

Thanks for the responses!

Caroline1980, you make an excellent point about eating stodgier, more filling foods. I think I should try that next time. It was around 11am when I was getting peckish and started picking. I guess I thought it was too early to eat anything like a baked potato but it probably would have been better to do that and stay within my syns than picking at all the rubbish that I did.

Hannahkw1, I hope you're feeling better soon! It's a good idea eating soup, it's very nutritious and low in syns so I should try that.

I'm still feeling rough, a couple of days off work would help just to let myself get over it but no such luck! Still, I have been having home-made 5 bean chilli (syn free) and loads of fruit during the day so I've managed to stay on plan. The good thing is that being at work there's nothing to snack on and I have no access to shops this week so once my healthy stuff's gone, that's it until I get home :) Evenings have been ok too, I've had pasta with pesto and mushrooms for the last 2 nights and then going to bed so I've been at the lower end of my syn allowance so far this week.

I also always want comfort food when I'm sick! I tend to make more stodgy pasta dishes (like carbonara) or spicy potato wedges with a yogurt dip when I'm sick. It's not exactly speed food but it's all still free!

Back