Let’s do this - restart 27/04/19 💃🏼

Full day back on track - I just had my last product and I’m feeling great! Today was definitely the most energetic I’ve felt in the last month so even though I might have messed up this week’s weigh in, the carbs yesterday obviously did me good. I went for a lovely 5km walk/run this evening to deplete some of my newly filled glycogen stores, and it was great to properly sweat it out as I’ve not been properly active at all since starting! Obviously I won’t be exercising intensively now that I’m back on the lower cals, but I’m really looking forward to maintenance so I can go to some of my fave exercise classes again! 😊😊

The headache is back already but quite mild and not as bad as last time... I guess it’s good that my body is already adapting as last time I didn’t get a headache until a few days in. Operation under 13 stone here we go! X

Thanks AliGal, I had an ultrasound of my abdomen on Wednesday to diagnose this kidney infection and the scan also looked at my liver and gallbladder! I assume this would have picked up any issue there. I do not have any of the symptoms either, thankfully.

Great to know you are ok gallstones wise. Glad you are doing better today.

I'm post menopausal - so no ups and downs due to hormones. You are such a babe, compared to me! And congrats on doing medicine.

And the insight you got this weekend. I am absolutely convinced that our minds are a huge part of people being under or overweight, and even TOFI (thin on the outside, fat inside). I am also convinced that it isn't calories in calories out - gut bacteria, insulin resistance, fasting, keto all deserve better investigation. I like the fact that Newcastle and co are investigating the 800 calories for diabetes type 2 reversal.

Have a great week.

Don’t you listen to that sanctimonious biatch 😤 any slimming plan has it fall offs. why people become such zealots about their way I do not know but there are many ways to reach your goal and some ways work better for one and not the other. Don’t give her a second thought. However do enjoy the larger weight loss that you ll be displaying 😉Show no shame! Is my motto stand tall, their/ her opinion does not matter what works for you does. Do not let them see that that their comments have any effect as it shuts them up a hell of a lot quicker. Do what is right for you
Jx
Thanks Skydragon, exactly the way i'm thinking about it now, not worth any of the overthinking i would've done in the past! :classic_smile:

Thank you! Turns out infection has gone up high into my kidney so I’m on stronger antibiotics now for a couple of weeks. Hopefully these will sort it out. Feeling ok but not myself at all! I hate taking medications in general but has to be done! :rolleyes:

Oh wow that’s so rude! I find so many slimming world people to be like that to be honest! It’s like they think their way is the only way?! It’s ridiculous because we know that different things work for different people and we certainly aren’t telling everyone to do Cambridge! Hopefully you’ll take that as inspiration to prove her wrong! It’s good that some of them are supporting you though.

I am living back home for the summer until I go back to uni next month, so initially I was keeping it quiet from my family because my mom in particular is very anti-diet! She knows that I’m replacing most of meals with shakes and smoothies etc. but I haven’t specifically said I’m doing Cambridge or that it’s 800 calories. I haven’t told any friends yet!

How did you get on yesterday? I’m off to weigh in soon :classic_big_grin: Xx
Oh no to kidney infection :classic_frown: hopefully these antibiotics will work quickly.
Well done on being able to live at home and stick to packs, i'm not sure i'd be able to do that. My mum doesn't really agree with Cambridge either, although watching a programme about it has changed her views slightly. She likes me to have a day off every now and again!
Lost 2lbs last week, not bad considering was out for indian! Really need to get back in the zone, too many things planned lately! xx

How amazingly rude of your boss. It extremely inappropriate for a manager too. Just makes me wonder if she's jealous!

I think I read somewhere that SW and vclds are the same in terms of long term results. ie some people keep at goal and some people don't! With the new research at Newcastle University and others, the vclds are now well regarded by informed people as a way for us to reverse diabetes type 2, and to avoid getting it. There have been two tv programmes recently sharing that info.

I'm a returner. I remember last time (2012) it was difficult to ask for what I wanted to do my shakes at family and friends' meals and restaurants. This time, I'm out and proud. I don't tell them what system I'm using (Alevere). I don't talk about it unless they ask me. Then I make a limited response.

My programme allows me very low carb green veg and salads and mushrooms and up to 200g of other low carb things like onion, tomatoes and some other veg grown above the soil, which could include a few raspberries & strawberries. So this time I just tell people I'm on a weight programme and need a green salad (if I'm having lunch) or some courgettes, mushrooms, ro whatever stir fried with a very little oil. Sometimes I take them ready prepared.

Absolutely right - you do not have to JADE - Justify, Argue, Defend or Explain your choice to do Cambridge. Your sweetest revenge will be to get to goal and stay there. So don't JADE, just do! You go, CMcG!
Thanks AliGal!
She's like that all the time, one minute wants to be your friend, the next she makes it quite clear that she's not! I've learned over the years to take it all with a pinch of salt. How our days go are dependent on what mood she's in, and you can actually sense it before she opens her mouth!
I like the sound of Alevere, how are you finding it?
LOVE JADE, new motto i think :classic_big_grin: It really is difficult to change people's minds about VLCD's isn't it. I love that there's more and more research to show just how safe/effective they are

Day 24 and I messed up yesterday :oops: I have already drawn a line under it and I’m back on track today, but I needed to confess it here!

I had a big dinner last night, which was FULL of carbohydrates... followed by not one but TWO Cambridge bars! I had spent the entire day thinking about food and wanting food. Some of it was proper hunger but when I got full, I kept eating. And you know what? It wasn’t even that nice anyway. So yesterday I had 5 products, a chicken fillet, and the huge dinner, I guess around 2200 cals.

I’ve been asking myself all morning WHY I did this and I think I might know. My dad died when I was 14 (7 years ago), and yesterday was his anniversary. I wasn’t particularly ‘upset’, I just cried briefly when my aunt text me to tell me how proud my dad would be of me. He was a doctor and I am following in his footsteps by studying medicine too. But I think deep down maybe I was more upset than I realised, and perhaps food was my comfort yesterday. My weight problems didn’t start until after he died and I know that it was the trigger.

Anyway today I feel bloated and I’m convinced that all the carbs have gone to my cheeks as my face looks a bit puffy! I checked the scales to kick myself a kick in the ass and I am UP 1.5lb, not bad in my opinion as I was expecting 2 or 3. I’m looking at the positives and hoping it’ll rev up my metabolism and force a big whoosh in the next couple of days!

I feel all full but I still had breakfast because I need to keep my routine. I had the vanilla rice pudding and it was delish. I’m doing another Step 2 day today as I’m still on this crazy dose of antibiotics!

Anyway hope everyone else is doing better than me, haha! Have a nice Sunday! Xxx
Please don't be too hard on yourself, we all have slip ups, and the main thing is that you've drawn a line under it and have moved on. Glad to hear the headaches weren't as bad this time round. How you doing now? I too have lost my dad, and totally relate to what you're saying. It's amazing how a date can have such an effect. It's not that we don't miss them like crazy every single day, but it can be the slightest thing that triggers, for me it can be certain songs, or the way my little boy has the same smile as the papa he never met. It's difficult to move away from food being a comfort, if that is what you have used in the past. But you are doing amazing, you should be really proud of yourself.
On a different note, on your 1lb loss for week 3. I think it's a week 3 thing cos i had a 1lb gain in week 3 and was ready to give up, was actually in tears in my consultants house as i had been so strict. Think it's just one of these things after such a big initial loss. Had to keep reminding myself that it was still over a stone in the 3 weeks.
Think you're doing the right thing by staying on step 2, you need to get yourself better, especially being on the antibiotics xxx

Thanks AliGal!
She's like that all the time, one minute wants to be your friend, the next she makes it quite clear that she's not! I've learned over the years to take it all with a pinch of salt. How our days go are dependent on what mood she's in, and you can actually sense it before she opens her mouth!

Sound like you need a beautiful mental suit of gold teflon to put on and protect you. So important to live without letting others, especially a temperamental undermining boss, push us off track.

I like Alevere a lot. The external weekly clinic visit keeps me on track and last time I had no loose skin. Since then, they now have monthly check ins when you are at goal. So that will help me get my new habit installed. I come from a medical family - so the monthly blood tests and doctor's review is important to me. I also like the fact that I am eating - so I am retraining myself to eat a big salad at lunchtime (very low carb) and veggies (above the ground very low carb) in the evening and a few berries some days.

JADE: I just love it. I've used it to remind myself not to engage in justifying, defending or explaining to my soon to be ex. I din't argue much - so its not the A, but the J DE that's most useful to me.

Well done on drawing that line. Rock this week.

Sound like you need a beautiful mental suit of gold teflon to put on and protect you. So important to live without letting others, especially a temperamental undermining boss, push us off track.

I like Alevere a lot. The external weekly clinic visit keeps me on track and last time I had no loose skin. Since then, they now have monthly check ins when you are at goal. So that will help me get my new habit installed. I come from a medical family - so the monthly blood tests and doctor's review is important to me. I also like the fact that I am eating - so I am retraining myself to eat a big salad at lunchtime (very low carb) and veggies (above the ground very low carb) in the evening and a few berries some days.

JADE: I just love it. I've used it to remind myself not to engage in justifying, defending or explaining to my soon to be ex. I din't argue much - so its not the A, but the J DE that's most useful to me.

Well done on drawing that line. Rock this week.
Sounds like a great plan!
Alevere sounds great, like the idea of the monthly check ins, what are the blood tests telling you?
I'm really bad for feeling like i have to justify myself all the time, age is slowly teaching me that some people will always look for a reason to put you down and they are actually not worth the thought so why on earth should you justify your actions to them.
Thanks for JADE, it will come in very useful!
Happy Tuesday :classic_smile:

Great to know you are ok gallstones wise. Glad you are doing better today.

I'm post menopausal - so no ups and downs due to hormones. You are such a babe, compared to me! And congrats on doing medicine.

And the insight you got this weekend. I am absolutely convinced that our minds are a huge part of people being under or overweight, and even TOFI (thin on the outside, fat inside). I am also convinced that it isn't calories in calories out - gut bacteria, insulin resistance, fasting, keto all deserve better investigation. I like the fact that Newcastle and co are investigating the 800 calories for diabetes type 2 reversal.

Have a great week.

Thanks Ali, I am getting there! Fever back again today and feeling a bit achey and ill - I will probably go to the doctor tomorrow to check my urine and make sure the infection is clearing up properly!

Don’t forget that you are as young as you feel ;) I have heard that it is much harder to lose weight when you are post menopausal, have you noticed this?

Oh yes absolutely! There is so much more at play than calories and there is still so much that we don’t understand yet. I worked in a research lab last summer that focused on gut bacteria in mental health, they call them psychobiotics and they have found that giving certain bacteria to healthy mice makes them anxious and depressed. Likewise they are now trying to find strains that improves symptoms with the potential of humans being able to take these as probiotic supplements! They’ve done some similar experiments on weight where they’ve taken gut bacteria from obese and underweight mice and swapped them with each other... and the obese mice became underweight and vice versa! Sorry for blabbing on, I just love science so much hehe!

How are you getting on so far this week? Xx

Oh no to kidney infection :classic_frown: hopefully these antibiotics will work quickly.
Well done on being able to live at home and stick to packs, i'm not sure i'd be able to do that. My mum doesn't really agree with Cambridge either, although watching a programme about it has changed her views slightly. She likes me to have a day off every now and again!
Lost 2lbs last week, not bad considering was out for indian! Really need to get back in the zone, too many things planned lately! xx

Please don't be too hard on yourself, we all have slip ups, and the main thing is that you've drawn a line under it and have moved on. Glad to hear the headaches weren't as bad this time round. How you doing now? I too have lost my dad, and totally relate to what you're saying. It's amazing how a date can have such an effect. It's not that we don't miss them like crazy every single day, but it can be the slightest thing that triggers, for me it can be certain songs, or the way my little boy has the same smile as the papa he never met. It's difficult to move away from food being a comfort, if that is what you have used in the past. But you are doing amazing, you should be really proud of yourself.
On a different note, on your 1lb loss for week 3. I think it's a week 3 thing cos i had a 1lb gain in week 3 and was ready to give up, was actually in tears in my consultants house as i had been so strict. Think it's just one of these things after such a big initial loss. Had to keep reminding myself that it was still over a stone in the 3 weeks.
Think you're doing the right thing by staying on step 2, you need to get yourself better, especially being on the antibiotics xxx

Helloooo! Thank you! I feel like they started to work but now I’m getting worse a bit again today with fever and all that. I’m worried the lower cals aren’t doing me good because I’ve had this UTI ongoing since day 3 I think and it spread up despite being on antibiotics from the start. But I did have that big feed on Saturday that should help. I will get my urine checked again tomorrow and go from there...

So sorry to hear about your dad - it isn’t easy. I can totally relate to things reminding you and making you upset. Songs especially for me! I feel like it’s something I have pushed down quite deep and not fully dealt with yet, but I’m working on it!

How are you getting on this week? Well done on the 2lb - isn’t it crazy how you can be perfectly on plan and lose nothing, but then lose more when you’ve eaten more?! Oh I love Indian, what I wouldn’t do for some butter chicken right now hahahah xx

How you doing Cambridge xx

Going strong Jen! I was SO close to caving yesterday but I pushed through it and I was delighted this morning not to wake up feeling all full. Still a little bloated but I’m sure it’ll be gone in a few days! Other than intense cravings, I’m not really having headaches or other side effects of getting back into ketosis so I’m happy with that! This infection is really knocking me though and I’ve a very high temperature. I’ve realised that as soon as tell myself I can only have 3 products per day, I automatically want more and this sets off big hunger signals for me. I still lost 15.5lb in 3 weeks pounds on 800ish cals so I think I’m going to stick to what is recommended for my height, even if it means slightly slower losses! Xx

Oh the psyllium husk powder is MAGICAL by the way! It has worked so well for me and I’m finally feeling properly empty lol. I had it twice a day for the last 4 days and yesterday/today it really started to work! Hopefully it keeps working. Blended with ice you don’t even notice it in the shake, I add a bit extra water too because it absorbs a lot inside you. I got mine in Holland and Barrett, it was half price so might still be. The capsules are meant to be just as good though so they might be more convenient, I’ll prob get them next time! X

Helloooo! Thank you! I feel like they started to work but now I’m getting worse a bit again today with fever and all that. I’m worried the lower cals aren’t doing me good because I’ve had this UTI ongoing since day 3 I think and it spread up despite being on antibiotics from the start. But I did have that big feed on Saturday that should help. I will get my urine checked again tomorrow and go from there...

So sorry to hear about your dad - it isn’t easy. I can totally relate to things reminding you and making you upset. Songs especially for me! I feel like it’s something I have pushed down quite deep and not fully dealt with yet, but I’m working on it!

How are you getting on this week? Well done on the 2lb - isn’t it crazy how you can be perfectly on plan and lose nothing, but then lose more when you’ve eaten more?! Oh I love Indian, what I wouldn’t do for some butter chicken right now hahahah xx
I totally admire you still being able to stay so focused when you're ill, must be so much more difficult. Just shows how much willpower you have! Fingers crossed for the docs today...
I think it's pretty normal to push everything in deep, we think we'll deal with it another time but it shows in different little ways, when we're least expecting it. If you're ever needing to chat about anything, i'm all ears. Sometimes easier to talk to someone who's been through the same, and isn't close to the situation
This week going good so far (well after my works night out at the weekend!! :oops:), messed up my dates so rather than getting weighed tomorrow, i'm going Monday night, means i won't get the week solely on shakes like i'd planned cos i'll be using up whatever i have in the house but still, in theory it shouldn't make a difference what packs you're on but we'll see. I just fancied trying liquid only for a week to see the results. Maybe next week...Let us know how you get on at the doctors xx

I totally admire you still being able to stay so focused when you're ill, must be so much more difficult. Just shows how much willpower you have! Fingers crossed for the docs today...
I think it's pretty normal to push everything in deep, we think we'll deal with it another time but it shows in different little ways, when we're least expecting it. If you're ever needing to chat about anything, i'm all ears. Sometimes easier to talk to someone who's been through the same, and isn't close to the situation
This week going good so far (well after my works night out at the weekend!! :oops:), messed up my dates so rather than getting weighed tomorrow, i'm going Monday night, means i won't get the week solely on shakes like i'd planned cos i'll be using up whatever i have in the house but still, in theory it shouldn't make a difference what packs you're on but we'll see. I just fancied trying liquid only for a week to see the results. Maybe next week...Let us know how you get on at the doctors xx

To be honest I’ve no idea either how I’m managing to stick to it (for the most part). It’s so weird how willpower works - sometimes no matter what I do my brain won’t let me diet but then other times I’m able to be super strict! Do you find that too?! People always say ‘oh if you want it enough you’ll do it’ but I don’t believe that because I probably want it more when I can’t find the determination! I got my period today and always notice major cravings in the week leading up to it so it definitely explains why I’ve wanted to eat everything these last few days. I purposely waited until I was finished mine last month to start Cambridge because I knew it would be easier, hahaha!

Back from Dr’s and we’ve sent my urine to the lab to see if there’s still bacteria in it so I’ll know in a couple of days if it grows anything. It’s one week now since I started the newer antibiotics so it should be cleared up but I do have another week of treatment so we’ll see! I don’t feel as bad today as yesterday though thankfully :D He‘s also sending me for a cystoscopy to look inside my bladder so just have to wait for that appointment, it will prob be next week as I’ve health insurance so there aren’t usually any waiting lists. The Irish health system is terrible so you get nowhere without going privately, unfortunately. I’ve heard the NHS is brilliant but I suppose they all have their faults!

Thank you so much and right back at you if you ever need to vent! Definitely helps to chat to people who have been through it! None of my friends have lost a parent yet (thankfully) so I don’t really speak about it with them as they don’t understand. I have two half siblings but I was my dad’s only child so it makes it a bit lonely too that I’ve no siblings who get it!

Delighted this week is going good for you and that’s a pity you can’t get the full week on the shakes like you wanted. Hopefully it won’t make any difference but I guess you’ll never know haha! You can try next week anyway :p Do you use the soups or dinner meals? Havent tried any of them yet!

Off to weigh in at 3.30 today, it hasn’t been a week but consultant is going away so has to be today. I also usually weigh with her in the mornings so not sure how all the 2L water, 3 coffees and 2 products so far will affect the scales. Not expecting much at all but we’ll see!

Hope you’re having a great day! Xxx

Don’t forget that you are as young as you feel ;) I have heard that it is much harder to lose weight when you are post menopausal, have you noticed this?

I'm not sure - in fact my metabolic rate is the same now (around 1600 calories day) as it was 7 years ago.

Glad the doc is helping you sort yourself out. Hope you are well soon.

I'm sure your weigh in will be higher than you've actually achieved - I know my morning weight (after ablutions) could be 2 to 6lbs higher different from my end of the day on a few occasions when I've got on the scales at night. Though that also includes my leg oedema.

There is so much more at play than calories and there is still so much that we don’t understand yet. I worked in a research lab last summer that focused on gut bacteria in mental health, they call them psychobiotics and they have found that giving certain bacteria to healthy mice makes them anxious and depressed. Likewise they are now trying to find strains that improves symptoms with the potential of humans being able to take these as probiotic supplements! They’ve done some similar experiments on weight where they’ve taken gut bacteria from obese and underweight mice and swapped them with each other... and the obese mice became underweight and vice versa! Sorry for blabbing on, I just love science so much hehe!

Agreed! I used some good probiotics earlier this year and my loose bowels corrected themselves. I've read some cases of human faecal transplants, mostly for severe cases of MRSA, I think. One slim woman who had her fat mother's bacteria, grew fat!

Diet & psychology. I don't use the word diet about what I am doing now. So laden with cultural overtones. I'm just eating differently!

Ali

Day 27 already, woohoo!

Had an early weigh in with my consultant today as she is away for the rest of the week. 2lb gone since I was with her last Thurs which is a total of 17.5lb in 3 weeks and 5 days! Will check at home what my exact 4 week result is on Friday morning. I’m so so so happy with this week’s loss, especially after my big carb feast on Saturday. I was so close to giving up on Monday and this has made it all worth it! It’s crazy how a perfect week last week gave a worse result than when I ate a pile of roast potatoes. I’m really lucky to have gotten away with it scales wise but I did pay for it with the worst cravings Sunday to Tuesday 🙈 Have a bad enough headache today so definitely still adjusting! My inches were all down about 1/4 to 1/2 inch EXCEPT my boobs were 1/2 inch bigger because I’ve my period at the moment, what us women have to put up with!

I had a fabulous non-scale victory last night by fitting into a skirt I bought a few months back that I couldn’t even get over my ass at the time! I had actually already lost 11 pounds before starting Cambridge so I’m exactly 2 stone less now than when I bought it. I could do with it being a tiny bit looser to feel more comfortable wearing it but I’m very close. I think once I’m in the 12s I’ll be good to go! I might even show ye a photo then too ;)

I’ve come to realise that as soon as I try to have a Step 1A day, I obsess over food. It leads me to eat more and was another trigger for my little binge on Saturday as I got to a desperately hungry stage! There’s a reason why 1B is recommended for people with my height so I’ve decided I’m going to stick with it for now instead of trying 1A. At the end of the day, 17.5lb is still fantastic and I just find 4 products perfect for my lifestyle! Step 2 also makes me think about food more even though the calories are the same, so until my weigh in next Thurs I’m aiming to stick to 1B with no extras!

How are you guys doing? Xx

Fabulous news! An a good plan. Well done.

Fabulous news! An a good plan. Well done.

I'm not sure - in fact my metabolic rate is the same now (around 1600 calories day) as it was 7 years ago.

Glad the doc is helping you sort yourself out. Hope you are well soon.

I'm sure your weigh in will be higher than you've actually achieved - I know my morning weight (after ablutions) could be 2 to 6lbs higher different from my end of the day on a few occasions when I've got on the scales at night. Though that also includes my leg oedema.
Agreed! I used some good probiotics earlier this year and my loose bowels corrected themselves. I've read some cases of human faecal transplants, mostly for severe cases of MRSA, I think. One slim woman who had her fat mother's bacteria, grew fat!

Diet & psychology. I don't use the word diet about what I am doing now. So laden with cultural overtones. I'm just eating differently!

Ali

Thank you Ali, I’m very happy with it and I’m shocked given that I was weighing later in the day! It gave me a well needed push. I’m trying not to be too obsessed with the scales but sometimes it’s needed for a bit of motivation!

Love the idea of not using the diet word. I read a great article recently that suggested instead of focusing on weight loss, we should just focus on developing healthy habits and the losses will follow. It’s so true and sets you up properly for maintenance.

How are you getting on this week? Xx

Week 4 is finished already - I really can’t believe it has been that long as I still feel like such a newbie! :classic_big_grin: I weighed in myself this morning and the verdict is.... 18.5lb or 1st 4.5lb, not sure what sounds better :classic_tongue: Sitting at 13st 2lb now and getting close to those 12s! I see my consultant again on Thursday so it would be amazing to get there by then but if not hopefully the week after.

Here’s the break down of my losses:
Week 1: 11.5lb
Week 2: 3lb
Week 3: 1lb
Week 4: 3lb

I’m super happy with that and after a few bumps I feel like I’ve found my groove and learned what works for me. 1B is definitely the best for my body - 1A makes me too hungry and leads to overeating, while Step 2 make me think about real food a bit too much. I’ve also learned that an extra egg or some protein and veg doesn’t affect things as much as you’d think, and sometimes your body just needs that.

My aim is 1B (for the most part) until I reach about 12 stone and I’ll work up the steps from there!

Hope everyone is good xxx

Back