stevia , truvia type sweetner

eileen11954

has anyone used the stevia, truvia type sweetner? does it taste better that the other sweetners? i made a tofu dessert with sweetner today and hated the artificial taste of the sweetner. Does anyone know if agarve syrup is allowed
thanks

I would say that agave nectar would not be allowed, if memory serves it's quite carby. I've tried and used truvia, splenda, candarel and hermesetas. Preference taste wise would be towards everything except splenda (which as you rightly point out tastes very synthetic) x

just found this

Although Agave nectar is allowed in some weight loss programs it is not allowed on the Dukan Diet. The Dukan Diet is low in carbohydrates so this is why foods such as fruit, some vegetables and agave are not allowed in the weight loss phases. It is also a diet which does not allow any sugar to be added to food and this is why so many fat free yogurts aren’t suitable. However although you are not allowed to add sugar to any food, some of the foods that you eat on the Dukan Diet such as dairy products do contain naturally occurring sugar. This is why you cannot find a fat free and sugar free yogurt. It is like looking for a tin of elbow grease!! All forms of sugar are carbohydrates but not all carbohydrates are the equal. The reason that some weight loss programs allow the use of agave is because it is absorbed by our body much more slowly than other sugars and this rate of absorption in measured in the glycemic index (GI) of various foods.

Sugar Substitutes and Sweeteners for the Dukan Diet

There are so many different sugar substitutes available that working out which ones are allowed on the Dukan Diet is not easy but if you have a copy of one of Dr Dukan’s books you might think that aspartame is the only approved sweetener. Both of the books that I have copies of, The Dukan Diet (UK version) and The Dukan Diet Life Plan, only lists aspartame when advising of the sweeteners which can be used.
Aspartame is an artificial sweetener which is surrounded by a lot of controversy and because of this many people are not comfortable using aspartame and many others also prefer to use natural products. However not all natural sugar substitutes are suitable to use on the Dukan Diet as many of these natural products still contain a lot of sugar.
The list of acceptable sugar substitutes and sweeteners below comes from official Dukan Diet sources. The primary source of the information posted comes from the Dukan Diet – US Facebook Pages. I’ve also listed the brand names of various sweeteners that are permitted on the Dukan Diet. If there is a brand that I’ve not listed that you would like to know is OK to use, use the comment box below to give me the name and if possible the ingredients and I’ll check it out and add it to the list if it is an acceptable sweetener to use.
In the books there is no limit on the amount of sweeteners that you can use but for the coached version there is a limit of 12 teaspoons, which was previously 8. The advice on this topic has changed recently as in an online coaching chat one of the Dukan coaches advised that artificial sweeteners such as Splenda and Equal were limited to 6 packets a day(12 teaspoons) but that all natural sweeteners such as Stevia and Lohan are unlimited.
You’ll find that many of the Dukan approved sugar substitutes contain small amounts of other sugars such as maltodextrin or dextrose which are not normally allowed.
Sugar Substitutes and Sweeteners Allowed on the Dukan Diet

• Aspartame
  • Erythritol
  • Lohan
  • Saccharin
  • Stevia
  • Sucralose
  • Xylitol
Brands of Sugar Substitutes and Sweeteners Allowed on the Dukan Diet

• Equal (Equal Classic uses Aspartame, Equal Sucralose uses sucralose and Equal Saccharin uses saccharin)
  • Ideal (Ideal Packets contain xylitol, sucralose, dextrose and maltodextin and Ideal white granulated contains xylitol, sucralose and maltodextrin)
  • Splenda (No calorie Sweetener Packets has sucralose, dextrose and maltodextrin while the No calories Sweetener granulated contains sucralose and maltodextrin)
  • SweetLeaf (Stevia)
  • Sweet’n'Low (Saccharin and dextrose)
  • Truvia (Stevia and erythritol)
  • XyloBrit (Xylitol)
  • XyloSweet (Xylitol)
Sugar Substitutes and Sweeteners Not Allowed on the Dukan Diet

• Agave nectar or syrup
  • Brown rice syrup
  • Brown sugar
  • Coconut Nectar or Crystals
  • Honey
  • Jaggery
  • Lucuma Powder
  • Maple Syrup

• White sugar (made from cane or beets)
  • Yacon Syrup

thanks alottolose I have used agave before starting dukan i guess i will just have to keep trying sweetners until i find one i like, i wil just have to get a large cupboard to store the redundant ones i hate wasting food lol

strangely i preferred the taste of the supermarkets own sweeteners over splenda - it's just too strong tasting for me x

I also use supermarket brand Sucralose, I've used it for so long I can't really tell the difference between it and sugar. I personally wouldn't use anything containing asparatame.

thanks for the list alottolose it is very helpful. a may try the truvia and see how i get on

Stevia-based sweeteners for me have the same effect as sugar-free sweets - they cause 'air' shall we say! Even if I only have one TS at breakfast! Yes I too have a box to use up as they've all come on the market recently. I've tried Truvia in a jar and and Pure Via sachets when they were on offer, but won't be buying more. I find they're slower to dissolve in yoghurt etc (even slower than old-fashioned sugar) which may make them appear less sweet. The Truvia is supposed to be much sweeter so 1/3 of a ts is the same as 1 ts of sugar, and I find that to be true, I do use a lot less. I also notice the taste as I really don't like liquorice so any hint of that puts me off. Avoiding aspartame (though it's the ingredient of choice for food manufacturers...) so I'll stick to Splenda which I have been using for years and years.

I prefer xylitol as i find splenda has a bit of an aftertaste and im not keen on the liquorice taste of stevia/ truvia. But xylitol is expensive and quite granular: takes a while to dissolve in yohgurt etc. Some people mix splenda and xylitol to get the best of both at a cheaper cost. Depends on what you prefer. I dont like aspartame at all, even though its in diet coke etc and the good doctor seems to think its ok.

Back