Stop credit crunching my blueberries!!!!

Mrscush

Woman on a mission!
Oooh, im in a rage with the good folk at Tesco!

I generally buy blueberries, 2 x 200g packs for £4, which is a good deal.. or so I thought.

When in Tesco on Sunday, I picked up my blueberries as usual, and noticed that one of the packs was 200g, and that all of the others were down to 150g! Still 2 packs for £4. So out of principle (im like that!) i didnt buy them.

Today I go in there, have another look - and the blueberry packs are now 2 x 125g for £4!!!! so basically - you are getting a third less - as rather than 400g for £4 - its now a measly 250g, yet you are still paying the same price!

I know we have inflation - but that just shocks me! (and saddens me that again, my stupid principles will now prevent me from buying - hence I miss the b.berries!)

Anyone else noticed their fav products 'credit crunched'?

Have you compared prices with other supermarkets rather than do without.

I will do that... just still in rant mode having just got back from the shops!

I would be cross as well. Nothing goes up by a few pennies these days always by tens of pennies or in my case cents......... makes my blood boil.

Depends on what you want them for, I have them in my porridge so am happy to buy the frozen ones from asda £1.97 350g I use them straight from the freezer as it cools my porridge down :)

Good idea Welshcake !

Depends on what you want them for, I have them in my porridge so am happy to buy the frozen ones from asda £1.97 350g I use them straight from the freezer as it cools my porridge down :)

me 2! big bag mixed frozen berrys lasts for a lot longer!! good to pop a cold 1 in my mouth when i'm looking at the kids sweetie jar too! :D

Oooh, im in a rage with the good folk at Tesco!

I generally buy blueberries, 2 x 200g packs for £4, which is a good deal.. or so I thought.

When in Tesco on Sunday, I picked up my blueberries as usual, and noticed that one of the packs was 200g, and that all of the others were down to 150g! Still 2 packs for £4. So out of principle (im like that!) i didnt buy them.

Today I go in there, have another look - and the blueberry packs are now 2 x 125g for £4!!!! so basically - you are getting a third less - as rather than 400g for £4 - its now a measly 250g, yet you are still paying the same price!

I know we have inflation - but that just shocks me! (and saddens me that again, my stupid principles will now prevent me from buying - hence I miss the b.berries!)

Anyone else noticed their fav products 'credit crunched'?

Standard supermarket practice.

Most people don't read labels properly and won't notice that the packages are shrinking - they just see 2 for £4 and think it is the same as last week.

In Sainsbury's you generally have to watch closely if the basics blueberries are going to be cheaper than 2x of normal ones or not.
I think I may look at frozen fruit from now on actually - costing me a fortune in fresh berries.

There was an article in Which? magazine about this recently - large packages being worse value than smaller ones, packages marked "value" or "special value" actually being worse value, tins of tuna banded together costing more than if you bought the tins individually.

I have found one of the worst culprits to be large packs of kitchen roll - there may be more rolls but each of them has fewer sheets on it, so it is no better value, and sometimes worse, than buying the smaller packets.

The funniest I have seen is the tesco own brand back bacon. For a packet with 6 slices is £1.98 but..... And wait for it.... You can buy 2 packs for £4!!! I first saw this about 4 weeks ago and thought they'd notice and take it down... The same offer has stayed up every week since!! I'll stick to my one packet for now!!

I've always checked whether the 3 for 2 and other price reduction offers are actually better value than buying just the one item but I've never thought of looking at the weights and comparing them to last weeks!! Thank you!

I have noticed Asda have been doing it for a while on some of their meat products. So I don't shop there anymore :rolleyes:

The funniest I have seen is the tesco own brand back bacon. For a packet with 6 slices is £1.98 but..... And wait for it.... You can buy 2 packs for £4!!! I first saw this about 4 weeks ago and thought they'd notice and take it down... The same offer has stayed up every week since!! I'll stick to my one packet for now!!

I've always checked whether the 3 for 2 and other price reduction offers are actually better value than buying just the one item but I've never thought of looking at the weights and comparing them to last weeks!! Thank you!

I saw the same kind of thing in Sainsburys the other week. I was buying pasta and thought I would see how much their big 5K bag was, which was blazoned with 'BIG VALUE PACK'. Funny that buying 5 x 1Kg bags was cheaper :eek:

I drive my daughter absolutely mad when we go shopping as I am constantly checking the labels on the shelves to see which one gives me more value. I have shown her a few 'offers' that don't quite add up!!!

It seems so deceitful and almost criminal that this is legal and standard practice in most supermarkets.

Surely it is the worst kind of deception. All the big supermarket chains are making mega profits and it would seem at the cost of the shopper who is probably counting every penny they spend.

All wrong !!!

Back