Struggling and Restarting....

That just about sums it up! Struggling and Restarting. I think I've let a lot of the usual things that happen in life, money, people, neighbors, illness, the list is a long one that seems to keep tripping me up. It seems like when I get up the determination there is something that distracts me!!

I need to focus more and that is why I joined this forum. I thing the accountability is going to help me a lot.
Annie:flirt2:

Hi Annie, Welcome to the forum!

It's such a hard life isn't it?! ..and trying to keep to a diet is very hard at the best of times!
I am a calorie counter plus a lot of other counts...How do you keep a score of your foods?
I used to do it by writing it all down but there's a very good site MFP that a lot of people use.

Hope you continue to loose that weight and get to where you want to be which I'm sure wont take too long all being well.
Keep up the good work.

Onwards and Downwards! :girlpower:

I'm trying to start again too, so I sympathise with how hard you are finding it. I hit my target just over 8 years ago and maintained it for 4 years. However, as I grew older my super slim body and face started to look unhealthy and gaunt, (back then I was 9stone 10lbs and am 5ft 10ins tall), so I let myself put on a bit of weight and went quite a bit above the 3lb limit. at 10 stone 10lbs I looked much better but my new healthier looking body meant I was faced with paying fees again. Financial circumstances meant that I could no longer attend group. Then, due to a severe heart condition my activity levels decreased and my weight spiralled out of all control. By the time I had open heart surgery along with the extensive reconstruction of my left ventrical 16 months ago, I'd gone up into the 13+ stones and even after the surgery my weight continued to climb. I stopped getting on the scales a few ounces before I hit 14 stone and know that my weight went even higher than that!

In June 2014, I decided enough was enough. I had sufficient knowledge of how SW worked so started again on my own. I'm not sure how much weight I've lost to be exact as I'd been food optimising for about 3 weeks before I got back on the scales. My first verified weight was 13 stone 9.5 lbs. I am now 12 stone 3 lbs. A verified weight loss of nearly 1.5 stone, but in reality it's probably several pounds more than that.

Not bad, but not that good either. For the past 6 months I've been on a plateau, going up and down like a yo-yo, losing 4 pound and gaining 3 lbs, etc., etc. I do find it hard 'going it alone' and am easily tempted by 'syn overload'. For instance yesterday my friend bought me a McDonald's wrap. NOOOOO!!! I was too weak willed to stop her walking into McD's. Heaven knows how many syns the crispy chicken wrap with large chips came to. At least she got me a diet Coke!!!

I found this site earlier today and have just registered. I am hoping that the camaraderie that I'm sure I'll find on here and the advice on syns will help me to stay focused. Or at least I hope it will.

Keeping my fingers crossed that both you, WildflowerGirl, and I will find the support to help us restart our journey and achieve our goals.

Last edited:
Hi All! Another struggler here. On day 4 of my latest restart. Let's help each other!

I'm on exante at the mo as I need some quick results, but I've done everything it feels like. It was SW that helped me get to target last time and I do believe that diet is the key to losing weight long term and maintaining. I think I'll head back to SW when I'm feeling a bit less massive xx

Not familiar with the Exante plan as I've only ever done SW. In 2004 I had a fire and spent 6 months living in a Travelodge eating nothing but junk food and very quickly shot up in weight. Until then I was one of those lucky so n so's who I'm sure every dieter hated. I could eat whatever I wanted and never put on an ounce. So when I found I was a few stone over weight, the thought of 'dieting' was completely alien to me. I'm sure Exante is very good but I'd definitely recommend Slimming World. It's not a diet but a healthy way of eating that fits easily into daily life.

Hope Exante helps you feel 'less massive' quickly and you feel in the right frame of mind to restart SW soon.

xx

Completely agree with you on SW. Even when I'm not dieting, I still use slimming world "rules" when eating. SW introduced me to new ideas and me aware of whats good and whats bad for me in a way no other "diet" ever has :) I've actually still got a load of SW meals in the freezer that I pre-made a while ago. Will save them for the months to come :) xx

Hey wildflower :) subscribing to see how you get on x

Well I hope everyone else is doing better than me. I had a disastrous week and gained 2lbs. That's what I get for staying in Travelodges and taking my grandson to Butlins all week. Ice creams and fast food are no good for food optimising! Have to edit my profile and put my weight up to 12st 5lbs.

Ah well, tomorrow is another day.

Back