Struggling with breakfast ...

reluctant_whale

Hi Everyone,

I have looked through the recipes but can't concentrate tonight. I am really struggling with breakfast at the moment. I am okay at the weekends but when I am at work (I work full time as a teacher) I really struggle to find anything I can prepare in advance. We don't have a microwave and I don't want to go down the Atkins bar route .. I am afraid I am shockingly moody in the morning and really can't face cooking before work. I am getting into a bit of a habit of skipping because I just can't be bothered. Ive just made a "Mock Danish" recipe : Atkins’ Low Carb Induction, HCG, etc | Heart of a Country Home
which looks quiet nice - but the jury is out if it will last until the morning.

Any ideas lovlies? Ive been wracking my brains but everything seems like I need to cook something .. I need something I can throw in tupperware and eat at my desk.

RW x

I made a frittata the other night with veg and lardons and had half of it cold for breakfast. Works quite well! R cook up sausages to have cold, or hard boil some eggs? Ham and cheese is a good one too.

Think outside of the breakfast box!!! I usually have the following....if you go abroad the breakfast is mostly meats, eggs, salad n cheese!! Particularly in the Med, wonder why they live longer???

Pre cooked

Sausage
Bratwurst
Boiled egg
Leftovers from night before which include.....
Cold chicken with mayo
Lamb chops
Belly pork slices etc etc

Edam slices wrapped around ham
Pepperamis
Smoked sausage
Pâté on MIM- make the MIM the night before!
Smoked salmon stuffed with cream cheese

I could really go on and on! But you have no excuse to be bored or lacking in ideas :)

J x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I had a toasted mim this morning with philadelphia cheese, took less than 5 mins in total to make and toast . I am not keen on mims just out of the microwave but love them toasted.

Thanks guys. Think my main problem is I have always hated breakfast, it is torture - not sure I could eat a lamb chop etc at that kind of the morning. I have gone "without" breakfast for 31 years so this is all a bit new for me. Half my Mock Danish went in the bin this morning, I just couldn't get it down but, but at least I had "something" !

Can you take food in for a mid morning snack at work instead of having a breakfast? Probably not strictly right but might be something to consider if you really can't stomach eating first thing. The mock danish might be nice with a cuppa at work?

As important as everyone says breakfast is i don't know if it's a good idea to force food down if you really aren't feeling like it. Or try something really small like a single slice of cheese or ham or something.

Can you take food in for a mid morning snack at work instead of having a breakfast? Probably not strictly right but might be something to consider if you really can't stomach eating first thing. The mock danish might be nice with a cuppa at work?

As important as everyone says breakfast is i don't know if it's a good idea to force food down if you really aren't feeling like it. Or try something really small like a single slice of cheese or ham or something.

I agree with that. The only time I really want breakfast is when I'm staying at a hotel, but that's probably because a) I've paid for it and want my money's worth, b) somebody else has cooked it, and c) I won't have to do the washing-up!:D

If you want something quick and no-mess then having a quick slice of cheese or cooked meat seems fine to me. Or how about an avocado - you only have to slice that in two, grab a spoon and you're away. If you're the type to be organised then you could prepare some hard-boiled egg salad or something similar overnight to take with you for break time.

As long as you have Atkins-friendly food available for when you do get hungry, I don't see that there should be a problem.:)

I absolutely agree with the notion that breakfast isn't essential. I'm pretty sure our paleolithic ancestors didn't refuse to leave their caves before having a hearty fry-up. Plus doing low carb in an intermittent fasting kind of way works pretty well according to a number of low carb authorities (the Eades, John Briffa, Mark Sissons etc).

So I think I'd think in terms of having a snack available for morning break. Neris and India suggest this little lot:

Hard-boiled eggs and celery salt
Egg mayonnaise
Stuffed eggs
Scotch eggs
Salami slices
Spicy sausage
Spicy sausage and salsa
Roast ham and cream cheese rolls
Roast ham and mustard mayonnaise rolls
Parma ham and Taleggio cheese rolls
Parma ham and mozzarella cheese
Onion bhajias
Small packet of nuts
Celery and cream cheese
Celery and peanut butter
Celery and pâté
Celery and blue cheese dip
Roast beef and horseradish mayonnaise rolls
Cheese portions
Cheese cubes and pickled onions
Smoked salmon and Boursin rolls
Roast chicken and pesto mayonnaise
Aubergine and feta cheese rolls
Frittata wedges
Crustless quiche wedges
Cold cooked sausages and mustard
Sausage and bacon rolls
Crispy bacon strips and egg mayonnaise
Feta cheese and tapenade
King prawns and mayonnaise
King prawns and salsa
Dressed crab
Smoked mackerel and horseradish mayonnaise
Cold Thai-style meatballs and peanut dip
Cold meatballs and mustard mayonnaise
Any cold curry and a spoon
Half an avocado
Half an avocado filled with cream cheese
Half an avocado filled with pecan nut butter
Tinned mackerel in tomato sauce with chopped raw onion

Any of that lot sound tempting? :D (I realise not all of it is Atkins/induction friendly).

Agree - have something yummy ready for when you do get hungry and enjoy:)

Back