Strugglingeg

I started the plan 2 weeks ago & if I'm honest have really struggled to know if what I am doing is correct, I always weigh myself in the morning and so far have lost 1-2lbs but I do feel hungry
I normally have weetabix with milk
or toast and hard boiled eggs
one of my friends who also did slimming world said she had mug shots for lunch so I've been having them for quickness
tea- chicken, lean mince etc with veg, however I've had gravy etc with it, so sauces I'm probably having more sins etc
i want to get into now properly cooking a recipe so that I know I am doing this properly

i have been following a personal trainers plan for a year & it was a no carb diet, sure it was called the G something plan
however I've really noticed since starting SW that although I'm not gaining majorly that I'm filling out again around my waist, hips legs & this whole carb thing feels wrong considering I'm filling out again but I think it's the whole introduction of eating carbs again plus not following this properly or understanding really how to
( she told me my body couldn't break down carbs)

i tend to stick to the same things
for breakfast,
lunch im going to try baked potato, tuna mayo
try a recipe for tea
any ideas, help advice to how I can do this properly and not fill out

If you are hungry then you should be eating more! You don't seem to be eating much Superfree (fruit and most vegetables) - by increasing the amount of this in your diet you will help fill yourself up as well as taking in essential nutrients.

You are concerned about carbs. Does your personal trainer have 'proper' medical/dietician qualifications? If not, I would take the comment about your body not processing carbs with a very large pinch of salt! If you have been following a low carb diet, reintroducing them should be done gradually as they can make your body retain water which could account for the filling out you describe. It will adjust again.

Have a think about the things you like to eat; just because your friend eats mug shots, it doesn't mean you have to as well. A salad with lean meats is easy to prepare for lunch, or perhaps you could batch-cook some soups? Syns can be used for things like gravy, salad cream/mayo, extra HExs as well as 'treat' items such as chocolate, wine, crisps etc. Do use your Syns as they are an integral part of the plan and many people report that they tend to have better losses when they have them. Look at the recipe threads and food diaries on here for some inspiration, and create your own diary as you'll soon gain some Minis friends who will help you along your way.

You don't say whether you are going to group, doing it yourself with or without online membership. Whichever it is, get hold of the books and read and reread them. It takes time to get your head around the plan and we all make mistakes at times. This is where posting your own diary can help.

Good luck!

Looking at your menu I would say you're not eating enough. If you follow Extra Easy then superfree foods should be added to your meal e.g. add banana to your weetabix in the morning, salad with your spud at lunch and veg with your dinner. You can have one Hex A and one Hex B on EE and 15 syns which you can use for whatever you like. Fill up on free foods and superfree and you won't go hungry. Drink plenty of water too as this will actually help with water retention which you are likely having from introducing carbs. Don't be afraid of carbs, your body needs them. If you follow a green day then eat as much pasta, potatoes and rice as you like. You can have 2 Hex As and 2 Hex Bs which is what you can have on red days too. On red days, eat as much meat as you like (visible fat removed) and you can have potatoes etc as a Hex B or syn them. It's just about playing around and seeing what suits you but there is no need to go hungry on SW x

Oh and that personal trainer needs a slap, what a bunch of crap about breaking down carbs!

Thanks
im really obsessive with my weight & get really motivated in the morning but then at night when I read 5 lbs heavier I get really depressed as I've lost a bit in the last year and don't want to slide back
i don't think I've followed it properly or counted syns for certains foods, so must be going well over my syns
hoping it is water, I can just see my waist slightly fuller and my clothes feel tight
wish we had manic wands

I am part of a group, although not been for 2 weeks since I started, and more daunting I'm doing this by myself, & going to class alone & don't really know anyone

Step away from the scales! Weight fluctuates all the time, depending on what you've just eaten, whether you've been to the look when your period is due, etc. I know I always weigh heavier at night than in the morning!

Read the books and start planning some meals. Try to start your planning with the veg (Superfree) and then add the meat/fish, then the carbs, eg salad, with tuna and some pasta or jacket potato - any mayo used would be Synned. breakfast could be a HExB choice of cereal with HExA milk and some chopped apple and/or banana. If you have a look at some diary pages on here, you'll soon get the hang of it, or perhaps try a week's menu from the SW site or magazine.

Try to go back to Group as you may well make friends there, and pop to a few threads on Minis to make some friends here. Honestly, there is a great bunch on here and we support each other.

You've been given some excellent advice here.

Definitely start a diary on here, there are lots of people who are willing to offer help. Also sub to diaries, and threads which give meal ideas.

I agree about the personal trainer if they've not medical qualifications, really are they able to say you're body can't process carbs, where tests done?

You need to relax about SW it really does work, it is all a bit daunting at first, just getting your head around free & superfree & superspeed foods is enough to confuse anyone.

What makes you think you've not been counting syns correctly? You said you have gravy with main meal but what else have you been having for syns?

I'd try & eat different meals each day that way you're not going to get board eating the same thing day in day out.

Let us know if you start a diary;)

You've been given some excellent advice here.

Definitely start a diary on here, there are lots of people who are willing to offer help. Also sub to diaries, and threads which give meal ideas.

I agree about the personal trainer if they've not medical qualifications, really are they able to say you're body can't process carbs, where tests done?

You need to relax about SW it really does work, it is all a bit daunting at first, just getting your head around free & superfree & superspeed foods is enough to confuse anyone.

What makes you think you've not been counting syns correctly? You said you have gravy with main meal but what else have you been having for syns?

I'd try & eat different meals each day that way you're not going to get board eating the same thing day in day out.

Let us know if you start a diary;)

i just look back my book and see some dressings are classed as syns, full Mayo
wholemeal bread is 2

then I've been eating syns at night thinking I'm ok

im a big popcorn lover, like some every night
however I don't drink enough water, juice
i know now I should plan my meals, & snack on plenty fruit
are the mug shots classed as syns? As I like them for quickness

I have a spreadsheet & write down all my syns I have, that way I know I'm not having too many, I still do it now even though I'm at target.

If you like popcorn have a look and see which is the lowest syn popcorn that way you can have a nice treat in the evening.

Some mugshots are syns, not all, and those that are, are low syns, I'd have superfree with them, perhaps take some chopped tomatoes, cooked onions, mushrooms or something with you to just warm up & chuck in with the mugshot.

Have you tried low fat mayo, it's not for me I like the full fat stuff, but make sure you measure it & count the syns correctly, that is the sort of thing where syns can add up quickly.

It takes time to figure the plan out and then get it to work for you and you've made a good start by thinking what you like to eat.

Popcorn is a great treat - I particularly like Marks & Spencer's sweet 'n salty popcorn at 4 SYns for a bag and Metcalfes Skinny propercorn is good too.

I've made my own Syn dictionary by buying a small alphabetically tabbed notebook, a bit like an address book and I note down the Syns of things I like in this as it saves having to look them up all the time.

Weigh and measure your HExs and Synned things, add lots of Superfree and Free foods and you'll get the result you want.

It takes time to figure the plan out and then get it to work for you and you've made a good start by thinking what you like to eat.

Popcorn is a great treat - I particularly like Marks & Spencer's sweet 'n salty popcorn at 4 SYns for a bag and Metcalfes Skinny propercorn is good too.

I've made my own Syn dictionary by buying a small alphabetically tabbed notebook, a bit like an address book and I note down the Syns of things I like in this as it saves having to look them up all the time.

Weigh and measure your HExs and Synned things, add lots of Superfree and Free foods and you'll get the result you want.

great idea making a "syn dictionary"!!

Personal trainers are not nutritionists so definitely don't worry too much about introducing carbs back in to your diet. Unless you have a specific medical condition that requres reducing carbs they can be healthy and definitely yummy so go for it! Going from no carbs to including carbs can make you gain a little weight. This is because with no carbs in your body your glycogen stores will be pretty empty and will fill up as your body starts processing carbs (your body can process carbs! Unless you are diabetic then only listen to your doctor / nurse for nutritional advise and ignore me and your PT lol) but it's only water and not fat you are gaining.

Have a look at people's food diary's here and get an idea of what people are eating. Try adding salad or vegetables to your breakfast and lunch to bulk them out a bit, maybe finish with some fruit?

What I try and do is get a rough idea of what I would like to eat and then adjust to make sure I am eating my healthy extras and not too many syns.

Back