Stuck on what diet to choose..

laurenmay

Gold Member
Hi everyone,

Little bit about me - I'm 21, 5ft 3 and female, and currently weighing about 182lbs. Usually, when I'm eating healthy and exercising I only weigh between 133-140lbs, but the past six months I've had real issues with food, binge eating and comfort eating & getting too lazy to go to the gym.

So since January, I've gained just over 3 stone. I so badly want and need to get rid of this weight - as well as making me feel down and insecure in myself and my appearance, it's also making me unwell and dragging me down. I can barely walk up the stairs without fighting for breath at the top! And my joints feel like that of an old woman.

I've never been this big, apart from when I was pregnant. I'm normally 9.7st, which for my height is a healthy BMI and also is the weight where I look and feel my best. I fell pregnant November 2010, and gained 5 stone during the pregnancy, after giving birth to my son last July, I managed to lose the baby and pregnancy weight within four months, and by November 2011 was back down to 9.7st. (If you go on my profile, look at my photos and there's a picture there of me that was taken November last year when I'd gotten back down to goal)...

Sheer laziness and greed kicked in after Christmas, and since the beginning of this year I've lost all determination and willpower and most of all STRENGTH to be able to diet and exercise again. I've tried Cambridge, calorie counting and been back and forth and in between both for a while - but always end up giving in after day one and binge eating again.

I need a diet with a good support system, I like the idea of WW or SW because of the weekly meetings and support.. But money is an issue. I can no longer afford Cambridge let alone most other diets out there, so for me it seems that calorie counting is my only option due to money being tight.

I just need help, I'm struggling starting this journey alone which is unlike me as I've always been on the ball with what I eat and working out. Somebody share some advice??? :(

Ohh hun i was wondering where you were it's hard isnt it but only you can decided what's best for you i would suggest weight watchers i know people who have had great success. But as you said if CC is for you go for it and use your MFP.!

Hope your ok xx

I've always CC before and it worked well but I recently joined SW and have really really been loving it. I quit smoking and gained back LOADS very quickly so the free foods on SW are great as if I need to nibble I can. Maybe look at your lifestyle and decide? SW is great of you like cooking and don't want to faff with measuring. WW is good if you like the convenience of being able to use ready meals (and cook too obviously but it's hard to find ready made foods on SW) but there's more counting involved which some ppl love and some hate.

I'd suggest looking at both WW & SW diaries & thinking about whether either could fit in with your lifesyle now & is it something you could do long term.

I've never done anything other than SW so can't compare the two.

I lost 13 kgs with WW about 3 years ago but after about 3 months, got very bored with the food options. I'm now doing SW and love it as you really do eat everything you fancy. It's just the way you cook and eat that changes. If you want a big plate of pasta, you have it. If you want a BBQ, you have it. Much more sustainable IMHO. You'll need to join up for a month minimum, but that will give you all the tools to continue on your own and here for support. You can't put a price on your health and wellfare!!!

I like Slimming World too; it does take a bit of effort cooking-wise, but I have found there are loads of great things to have which are not limited or counted, and it has steered me away from the temptation of ready-meal convenience food (you can have it, but it must be counted, and you don't get that many "syns" so I prefer to use mine on treats rather than meals). I am 6 months in, and have lost about 2.5 stone without feeling deprived (I maintained overall during June, but counted up 8 social occasions involving meals out and parties involving alcohol, so I'm pretty happy :)). Cost-wise, I believe SW do a "countdown" offer where you get 6 weeks for the price of 5; really I should sign up for this myself! Good luck whatever you decide.

Back