Sugar and sweeteners in dishes

d14

Do any of you use sweeteners? I found a recipe I really want to try today, but it requires NINE (yes, 9!) tablespoons of sugar...could I just replace that with sweetener or would it not taste the same? Each tablespoon of sugar is 3 syns so it would be 27 for the whole dish :(

Thank you :) im making chinese style salt and chilli chicken (quorn pieces instead of chicken) I got the recipe from a chef who works in a chinese takeaway so I hope it turns out similar! Thankfully everything else in the recipe is syn-free. Should I use 9 tablespoons of the sweetener or more/less? I haven't used it before!

thank you :)

If it turns out nice i'll post pics and the recipe tonight :) he gave me a few other things too but unfortunately a lot of dishes require a lot of oil! The chilli chicken should have 5 tablespoons of salt but I think i'll cut that down a bit too. xx

Sounds gorgeous, I'm veggie so always looking out for new ideas :)

Aah I thought you were doing some sort of dessert. how exactly is the sugar used in the recipe as there are certain things that sweetener won't do such as caramelising?

Its just mixed in with seasoning and then sprinkled on the chicken in the wok

Are you quite sure about this? 9 level tablespoons is over 4 ounces of sugar. If they were heaped tablespoons, it would be twice as much. That's a whole lot of sugar for a savoury dish. Sure it isn't teaspoons?

I'm positive, he even wrote "yes, nine tablespoons!" after it.

Wow! Depending which sweetener you are using, check their website. Splenda is sweeter per volume than sugar, you only need a fifth (or something) when you use that in baking instead of sugar... I can't remember the exact ratio off the top of my head..

Just made it and it was SO yummy! I changed the recipe around a little bit, and used 2 tablespoons of sweetener, 1/2 tablespoon sugar and 2 table spoons (less than full tablespoons) of salt instead of 9 tablespoons of sugar and 5 tablespoons of salt...I really enjoyed it. :)

No problem I will post the recipe in the morning (with pictures) as I'm on my phone right now xo

Back