Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

Sugar Free Gum

Discussion in 'General Weight Loss Discussion' started by Enfys, 22 July 2009 Social URL.

1. Enfys

Enfys Member

Start Weight:
    13st2lb
    Current Weight:
    13st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Senisble eating?
    Does anyone know whether chewing gum has any adverse effect on your diet. I'm following weight to go and once of the things i find hard is not so much being hungry as the urge to chew on something - usually when i'm working at computer. (PLease don't anyone suggest a bone.) i bought a big pack of strawberry sugar free orbit but it does actually seem to have some calories in it. Is that only if you swallow it? which i wasn't planning to do. i don't want to get tripped up by any sneaky little extras. Any advice please?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. W5CHELS

W5CHELS Member

Start Weight:
    17st1lb
    Current Weight:
    16st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6lb
    Lost(%):
    0st10lb(4.18%)
    Diet:
    My own
    All I know is that chewing gum prepares your body and brain to eat which makes you hungry and crave food, so I would advice against chewing gum!

4. Iris

Iris Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st6lb
    Current Weight:
    8st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    7st11lb(47.39%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting (also known as relentless self-denial)
    I think the cals in gum are just the cals you get from chewing it. I don't think there's many downsides to gum, in moderation! The sugar-free type is probably best, good for saliva production and combating plaque after a meal. But I've heard that excessive consumption of sugar-free gum can cause some nasty side effects because the sweetener sorbitol can act as a laxative. Apparently people have lost a lot of weight and had some serious bowel problems after chewing too much of the sugar-free type.

I've also heard about people who over-chew having problems with their jaw - temporomandibular joint and all that jazz, so maybe be careful you're not chewing too much.

Maybe keep a little box of crunchy snacks in your desk drawer? A broken up couple of Alpen light cereal bars, fruity ryvita, brazil nuts, dried banana... even some fresh chopped up veggies can be good for satisfying the chew urge! A couple of Werther's original sweets interspersed with the gum might also help - they last for ages, not too high in cals, and it might help cut down on too much gum.

5. Angy

Angy Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st2lb
    Current Weight:
    8st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st13lb
    Lost(%):
    4st4lb(32.61%)
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting
    I know chewing gum causes bloating, from swallowing air as you chew. I suffer from TMJ dysfunction and its painful!

I like to buy the single portion boxs of frosties and crunchy nut cornflakes etc and nibble on those as a treat. Quite low in cals too.

6. Jim

Jim Big Boy

Start Weight:
    25st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st1lb
    Lost(%):
    11st13lb(47.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    Hmm, now all the above is very interesting. I chewed a load of gum during induction, mainly due the side effects of ketosis. ;) I wasn't worried about the calories obviously, but the sugar free ones were a godsend.

7. Enfys

Enfys Member

Start Weight:
    13st2lb
    Current Weight:
    13st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Senisble eating?
    Thanks folks

thats all interesting. I'll maybe make sure i keep it in reserve for emergencies rather than just replace one habit with another! I really do need a stock of healthy little snacks. carrots would probably do the job great. i know it sounds daft but when i'm working it helps me think by doing something else absentmindedly at the same time, I guess the same as other people do buckets of coffee or fags or doodle on post it notes! I'll maybe get something to fiddle with instead - one of those stress balls or something squashy!

8. Iris

Iris Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st6lb
    Current Weight:
    8st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st8lb
    Lost(%):
    7st11lb(47.39%)
    Diet:
    Calorie counting (also known as relentless self-denial)
    Lip balm can be a good fiddly habit for the orally fixated! ;)

Loads of tasty flavours and you can build up a little collection of your favourites to keep in the drawer, giving your lips a treatment whenever you feel fiddly. And, hey, you get super-soft lips out of the deal, too!

9. Enfys

Enfys Member

Start Weight:
    13st2lb
    Current Weight:
    13st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Senisble eating?
    Like I could hide those from my daughters!

10. Jim

Jim Big Boy

Start Weight:
    25st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st1lb
    Lost(%):
    11st13lb(47.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    LMAO, now that made my day. :D

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.