Sugar free jelly. New to Atkins!!

Chereally

So I'm new to Atkins and I was wondering if sugar free jelly is allowed. It says nothing in the book, but I have heard it is ok. I would value peoples opinions!!

I've seems posts on here where people say its
Okay x

I love it! Really a delicious treat but try and limit it to occasional treat as sf foods can stall! But it's great with a dollop of extra thick cream just a small amount to get the taste! It feels very naughty! Lol

Sounds lurrrrvely

Hi I have tried it,, but it seems to being on cravings with me ....

hi
i tried sf jelly when i was in ketosis and found it didn't stall me, now though i am struggling to get the ketosis back so i wouldn't try it until i am really back in the zone, doing strict induction to try to get it back so will leave out extras til then
welcome to Atkins xx

Exactly what is ketosis?

Complex. Have you read the book? The explanation in there is much better than the one I'm about to give.

Ketosis is a fat burning state.

Normally, your body uses sugar for fuel. Not just yummy white sugar and sweeties and things that taste sweet: all carbohydrate is treated as sugar by the body. So if you're eating pasta, you're eating sugar. A baguette? Sugar. Baked potato? Sugar.

The body loves all these things because it's quick easy fuel for it to use - and back when food was hard to find that was a great thing. We ate an apple, the body processed it into sugar and we kept functioning. Whee!

The problem comes when we have a ready supply of carbs - sugar - so our body is easily getting all the food we need. We're in a sugar burning state and any excess food we eat is packed away neatly on our bodies for use in the hard times that may come later. In other words, we get fat. It's like coming home with a bag of coal and some logs for the fire - the coal (sugar) burns easiest so the logs get stored away for later (as fat).

But when those hard times do come, and there's no more coal, the body has to start using up its fat supplies, the ones it stored away like logs.

When you're starving, you go into ketosis. It's a state which allows the body to use fat as fuel. You know what tells your body it's starving and is allowed to do that?

No more sugar.

This means that, on Atkins, as long as we cut out sugar our body will go into that fat burning state of ketosis and burn off our stored fat supplies. It will be conditioned to use fat as fuel. This state takes a few days to get into and as much as a few weeks for the body to get really really efficient at.

That's the problem with cheating on Atkins. As soon as you eat carbs (sugar) or even something that isn't carby but triggers an insulin response that makes the body -think- its getting sugar, your body thinks the starvation period is over, comes out of ketosis and starts burning sugar as fuel again. It refills the body's glycogen supplies and if you eat carbs for long enough, starts refilling its fat supplies too. Then it will take you a few days to get back in and start losing fat again.

Ketosis: the state in which the body burns fat for fuel instead of sugar.

(it's more complex than that but unless we're diabetics it doesn't really pertain to us - this is just the explanation as I personally understand it).

stubbsey said:
hi
i tried sf jelly when i was in ketosis and found it didn't stall me, now though i am struggling to get the ketosis back so i wouldn't try it until i am really back in the zone, doing strict induction to try to get it back so will leave out extras til then
welcome to Atkins xx

Are you using the sticks to check? They're notoriously unreliable. I still find it odd that strawberries would knock you out unless you ate seriously loads - if you're losing weight, or have that metallic taste in your mouth, you're probably in ketosis.

I think i over did the cream to be honest its not the strawberries that took me out of ketosis this time it was taking a week off for birthday and wedding etc i am struggling to get it back. I am using the sticks before my time out they were very dark now at best i get medium but usually its trace, very annoying! I am really sticking to induction foods too grrr

Very dark just means you're dehydrated. Medium or trace = ketosis. If your stock is changing color at all you're in ketosis, so not to worry!

Do you think pork scratchings could knock you out of ketosis?

Only if they have carbs in and you eat loads. Mr porkys are fine.

Oh good I was having mr porkys...phew

I never thought of jelly and cream for brekkie - may just have to try that!

i love it, its quick and easy. I dont like savory stuff for breakfast so its ideal for me plus im so groggy and lazy in the morning the last thing i want to do is cook something up!

Might have to have this for a little treat for all my hard work ;)

Back