Suggestions for pasta and rice replacements...lower calorie!

zzjanliz

Hi, I have just realised that I posted this question on the wrong board before. anyway, I'm on a 1200cal diet...so far so good as I am pretty much losing 2-3lbs a week. But I'm getting cravings for pasta and rice but never seem to have enough calories left at the end of the day to be able to have it, so need lower calorie alternatives. So far I have been living off of Zero Noodles, mashed cauliflower and grated courgettes...which are yummy but wanted to have a few more variations to my evening meals.

any suggestions would be much appreciated :)

I also so the same thing happyheaithy. I add lots of veggies and they're always different ones, so I don't get bored :)

Also, certain pastas will fill you up more. Go for egg-based pasta or even better, wholemeal. Cooperative Conchiglie (shells) is only 234 per 70g (a pretty decent medium portion) and 335 per 100g (which would be a BIG portion!), and it's really yummy and filling :)

Wow, that's a really good cal. count for the pasta :) Usually it's around the 355 cal mark for 100g.

Tesco Wholewheat Fussilli is only 322 cals per 100g and it's 89p for a 500g bag.

Sainsbury's wholewheat spagetti is only 316 cals for 100g and it really tastes the same as the white version - if not better!

Hi zz i usually have cous cous 185calories per 50g. when its cooked its rather a big portion, so good for only 185 calories, I usually add some curry powder peppers onions and mushrooms and its yum.
Hope this may help.

Wow, that's a really good cal. count for the pasta :) Usually it's around the 355 cal mark for 100g.

Tesco Wholewheat Fussilli is only 322 cals per 100g and it's 89p for a 500g bag.

Sainsbury's wholewheat spagetti is only 316 cals for 100g and it really tastes the same as the white version - if not better!

Yep, it's a good value especially considering the fibre content :)

I can't stand white pasta! Wholemeal all the way!!

I totally agree Caroline, wholemeal pasta is sooo much nicer and also has alot more nutrients. I have been taking small portions (200cals) of brown pasta to work for lunch with lots of veg and tuna or chicken, also made an egg and crab salad with pasta or zero noodles which was lovely. Although im not too keen on the low calorie salad dressings i have tried...can anyone suggest a good one or maybe a low cal home made one instead???

I've had the light choices one from tesco, honey and mustard or something I think. That's nice!

Hi Zzjanliz,
Just wondered where do you get the zero noodles from?

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

Also, if you don't mind scrapping the pasta altogether you could make spaghetti out of courgette, that's what I'll be doing for my quorn spaghetti bolognaise tonight. If you google it it comes up.

Hi leela, sorry for the late response. I get my noodles from Zero Noodles. definitely worth a try.
Thanks themango but i have tried that one...actually i have had it a few times now and thoroughly enjoy them.

And caroline thanks for the dressing suggeation, not sure if i have tried that one so will give it a go, so far my fav is just the low fat salad cream, although it still has more calories than alot of them do so will try to find another still. xx

OMG, the Zero noodles have 5 calories for 3.5 oz OMG. I want those noodles! Well I thought they would have less calories than average noodles but this is an unbelievable difference.
Anyone knows if I can find this in Portugal?

I know I couldn't believe it either! i cant rave about these enough! cant believe i haven't heard of them until now. Im so addicted. I havent found them anywhere else but I will email them now to see if you can buy them in stores... the postage is a bugga isnt it! if you bulk buy it works out better though.

will let you know what they say x

I just tried the tesco honey mustard dressing and its yuuuumy!! and very low in calories which is perfect! Also I have just rediscovered my childhood with mini milks...OMG they are amazing and only 30cals!!!! so you can have 3 for under 100calories (well if you are greedy like me!) these will be my new summer fix i think.

I just tried the tesco honey mustard dressing and its yuuuumy!! and very low in calories which is perfect! Also I have just rediscovered my childhood with mini milks...OMG they are amazing and only 30cals!!!! so you can have 3 for under 100calories (well if you are greedy like me!) these will be my new summer fix i think.
They are nice indeed :) Today I've bought some grapes and portioned htem into 30 calorie packs for the freezer too, lovely!

Mini twisters are only 45 calories too! Love them!

Back