Supersize Superskinny

mrsevans

Hi all, starting slimming world (again) on Tuesday. Just curious, why can some people eat what they want and others can't. My neice is 10 months younger than me and she says that she eats cake everyday, if I even look at cake I put on weight! She's about 10 stone and I am 17st and we are the same height (she's even got 3 kids!). Do you think it's just genetics? I think I'm just having a down day but it makes me really unhappy when I see other people eating what they want and not putting on any weight, I just don't get it. Sorry if I sound depressed, maybe I am :(, just want to hear your thoughts.

Don't be down on yourself, everyone has days like that..it's life. :)

I would say there's an element of genetics in it. My cousin (well step cousin) is superskinny and everytime I see her she has a chocolate bar in her mouth, I think she has a super fast metabolism.

In saying that her portion sizes would be much smaller than what I would eat and she would eat more frequently than I would...she would graze whereas I would feast.

I think it really does come down to everyone is different, and whilst it's a pain in the a$$ for those of us who just have to sniff a piece of chocolate and put on weight I think I've come to terms with the fact it's just something I have to live with. If I want to look the way I want to then I have to take better care of what goes in to my body. That's why I'm really glad I've found Slimming World, I'm still able to have yummy foods, just cooked in a better way, it's now a case of everything in moderation rather than an Indian, chinese and chippy all in one week.

Have you been on plan long? Do you go to class or do it online? Good luck!

Thanks for replying, yes I am going to start class on Tuesday morning, but have been so many times before but just getting bigger everytime I quit. I do feel very positive at mo but I have been through this cycle so many times, I always lose my way after a few weeks even though I do lose weight on it, don't know what's wrong with me, feel like I have a self destruct button! :cry:

I remember reading somewhere that when people say 'I can eat whatever I want and not put weight on' whatever they want may is probably a lot less than what I'd want.
Does that make sense?

My sister is thin (9st after 2 kids) and eats take away most nights but eats very little the rest of the time and walks everywhere.

I always thought my sister was this way, chocolate bar everyday, wine on a night and she is as skinny as a rake.

However when I started sw she did some food diaries so we could compare and other than chocolate and cereal she actually eats very little. (not anymore, I made her get help)

I think when we have a rubbish day we tell ourselves that the skinnies amongst us are eating whatever they want but when you look under the surface it's not the case.

Chin up.

My two best friends are extremely slim, yet seem to eat everything that's bad for them (cake, chocolate, cheese etc) For years I believed that it was simply unfair and that they were lucky and got away with it. However as I've got older I've realised that I was completely wrong. Yes they DO eat bad things but in moderation, their normal meals are balanced and normal portion sizes not great big platefuls. They are also very active. Whereas me, I binge on junk food and eat huge portions, I take little exercise and generally don't look after my self.

I don't mean for this post to sound mean or rude, like I said I spent most of my life thinking it wasn't my fault and it was my genes. I think when you have a weight problem it easy to ignore the truth. I have also read a lot of books on psychology about eating habits which has helped me understand my weight problems more
Xx

I guess you are right, I don't do any excercise and I do eat large portions AND the cake! I think it's just easier to blame everything/everyone else, I think it's time to admit that I am overweight due to my own stupidness and greed, I actual eat when I'm not hungry, come to think of it I am never hungry because I eat all the time, okay time to take 5 and actual think about what I am doing to myself and why, thank you all for your help ;)

I know how you feel. It is hard! I gained a lot of weight in prenancy and never lost it, I have 3 children and each time i just got bigger and bigger. I know several people who have babies and then just went ping! back to pre pre size without really trying! In fact it seems to be the norm to just shed the baby weight without trying! It never worked that way for me. It is depressing but then we don't really know about other people's lives. It was put into perspective for me recently when a friend who has always been really slim, even straight after babies etc, confessed to me that in all the years I have known her, her husband was abusive and she was always too stressed to eat, she used to hide away from him and so couldn't get into the kitchen to get food etc. All this time i was envious of her figure and all that was going on in her life :(

Lots of hugs for you though, it can be so depressing being overweight, it really gets me down sometimes I look in the mirror or at photos and i think YUK! but at least now i am doing something about it. You can do it too xxx

I'm exactly the same. I say to people that I'm an "emotional" eater. However I eat constantly, if I'm happy I eat, sad, depressed, angry. I don't recognise hunger anymore and I'm constantly full and uncomfortable. And the stuff I eat is rubbish! I can't get a lid on eat. I loose weight then put it all back on again, I go round in circles. I am on antidepressants and I do think my weight is causing a lot of my depression as I feel so bad about myself. X

I know how you feel. It is hard! I gained a lot of weight in prenancy and never lost it, I have 3 children and each time i just got bigger and bigger. I know several people who have babies and then just went ping! back to pre pre size without really trying! In fact it seems to be the norm to just shed the baby weight without trying! It never worked that way for me. It is depressing but then we don't really know about other people's lives. It was put into perspective for me recently when a friend who has always been really slim, even straight after babies etc, confessed to me that in all the years I have known her, her husband was abusive and she was always too stressed to eat, she used to hide away from him and so couldn't get into the kitchen to get food etc. All this time i was envious of her figure and all that was going on in her life :(

Lots of hugs for you though, it can be so depressing being overweight, it really gets me down sometimes I look in the mirror or at photos and i think YUK! but at least now i am doing something about it. You can do it too xxx

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement, it really does help :D

My cousin and aunt are the EXACT same, they eat and eat but don't put an ounce on. I just have to look or even think about food to gain weight :/ it really frustrates me because I know once I have lost weight and hit my target, I will always have to be really careful what I eat or else I will put weight back on really easily.

It's frustrating when you see that, but you never truly know exactly what someone is like.

I know one girl who makes a massive deal out of eating loads of crap, she used to go out with me on a Tuesday get a massive carvery, a massive cake and then expect to come round for domino's the same evening, where she'd buy a large pizza. She constantly eats chocolate and take aways and she is stick thin, to be honest I don't think she has a nice body as its more that of a ten year old boy, but the point is she eats loads. However, I soon started to notice she eats a lot, when other people are around or she'll make a point of posting on facebook how much she's just eaten, I also noticed, she didn't think anything of being sick, for example, on a night out she would happily have a few drinks, go make herself sick and then have a few more drinks before repeating the process. I honestly think she is slightly bulimic and that she personally gets her gratification from other people telling her how amazing it is that she eats loads but is still slim.

On the other hand I have a friend who is very slim, has a lovely body and quite happily appears to eat what she wants. She thinks nothing of going out ordering lasagne and garlic bread with a side of cheesy chips. However, I honestly don't think she eats like that all the time, plus she's very active, into cheerleading and dancing ect.

Although I would love to be able to eat what I want and stay thin, I'm glad I can't. Even though some people eat rubbish and don't put weight on, they're still not doing their bodies any good. At least I know the way I'm eating I'm going to be slim and be healthy. If I could get away with eating rubbish and still look great I would eat rubbish, I'm also glad I don't suit being bigger, if I looked good bigger I would never have that push to loose weight and actually live a healthy life style

Although I would love to be able to eat what I want and stay thin, I'm glad I can't. Even though some people eat rubbish and don't put weight on, they're still not doing their bodies any good. At least I know the way I'm eating I'm going to be slim and be healthy. If I could get away with eating rubbish and still look great I would eat rubbish, I'm also glad I don't suit being bigger, if I looked good bigger I would never have that push to loose weight and actually live a healthy life style

that's a really good point - if i could eat KFC and pizza every night and be thin, that's what I would be eating, I'd be super duper unhealthy! SW is great cos it is such a healthy way of eating, so much fruit and veg, even on a week where i don't lose much (or at all) i know I have eaten lots of healthy food which is good for my body x

It's all to do with the complicated science of Sod's Law!!

I'm probably just repeating what everyone else as said but I've had a similar experience with a friend. At the moment we are both around the same size (10) and shape. She lives on junk whereas I have to follow SW and exercise 3-4 times a week to maintain this size. What I've realised though is that she is an incredibly fussy eater. She won't eat any fruit or veg, won't try anything new and has everything as plain as possible. She will literally pull apart a sandwich take some chicken out of it, wipe anything off it that might give it flavour and just eat that chicken for her lunch. she will then have 3 chocolate bars over the afternoon. I think it's basically her way of getting her calories in from a food she likes. Her calorie intake probably matches mine but whereas mine is made up of a varied diet hers is extremely limited. I have to say though that she doesn't 'look' as healthy as I do and has nowhere near as much energy. I know which I prefer!

I have a work friend who is proper lucky. She said she's always been the way she is she hasn't got anything wrong with her she's a size 8-10 and is 60 this year. She won't eat much breakfast maybe just 1 slice of brown toast then she will have a half 10 snack at work, we work in a bakery so cake scones and things people have brought in like toasted teacakes lol so she has one of those then she will go to the shop for lunch and that usually consists of bacon buttie and chips. Sometimes its a ham and coleslaw sarnie for a healthier option lol then she eat a good dinner at home her grandaughter lives with her and so she always makes something decent sized. She does eat this way all the time she's always saying they went to chip shop for tea or kfc on sunday nights lol its just the way she is and she knows its not healthy she's always saying she should eat more fruit and veg but I guess if you can get away with living on junk then you would!

She is an exception to the rule though, most thin people who say they eat what they want probably don't want as much as us over eaters do lol

Well hearing all the stories I guess there is a point. We only see them eat this way for a couple of hours, maybe not even that so we don't actually know what they do the rest of the time.

Back