Superspeed Soup - confused about my weightloss this week

LisaC

Gold Member
I've been doing SW for a long time & I know there are no quick fixes, that's not what SW is about. But on the SW website it says that Speed & Superspeed foods speed up your weightloss, obviously keeping you fuller for longer & on less calories. I'd made the 12 SS Soup before & loved it so this past week I made the big batch & had it every night for dinner. In the day & had my usual meals, my HEX's, 10-15 syns & plenty of superfree snacks. I exercise regularly too. I've weighed in today & lost 1.5lb.

I know any loss is a good loss but two weeks ago I put on 8.5lb (!!!) in a week, I didn't eat awful, I just ate lots of small bits that all added up. I got straight back into SW thinking if I give 100% the next couple of weeks I'd lose well but last week I lost 1lb eating my usual SW foods & this week I've lost 1.5lb having the SS Soup everyday. I thought 8.5lb on in one week was absolutely crazy & thought it couldn't have been set in stone (i.e. if I hadn't eaten bad the night before WI I probably would have weighed a little less & people often say some gains are down to water, exercise etc. so sometimes making the gain unnatural, my clothes aren't much tighter) so I really thought getting back on plan 100% & trying hard with my SS Soup I'd have a couple of big losses.

I'm a VERY slow loser so I don't expect miracles & I'm realistic. I just thought by having a week eating more Speed foods plus the SS Soup I'd do better. I've completely stuck to plan everywhere else. Is it possible that although the SS Soup is good, by having it for dinner maybe I've missed out on my balanced evening meal & therefore it hasn't has as good an effect on me as possible?

Please don't think I'm complaining about a loss, I'm lucky if I lose a few lb's a month, but given that I gained 8.5lb in one week I just thought some of it would come off quicker if I really stuck to plan. Maybe I'm just confused...?

Our bodies are inexplicable in their behaviour sometimes aren't they?

Are you due on or maybe a bit bunged up? (Possibly a TMI question but can have an effect!) What plan do you follow? You arent "that" far from target, so I wouldnt expect your losses to be massive generally - might be worth trying sticking rigidly to the 10 syns, and mixing things up a bit plan wise? Do you have a food diary we can look at to see if there is anything there to suggest why this is happening?

If things dont show up by next week, and you attend a group, have a chat with your consultant, she might suggest a week of success express or something to shake your system up a bit...

Our bodies are inexplicable in their behaviour sometimes aren't they?

Are you due on or maybe a bit bunged up? (Possibly a TMI question but can have an effect!) What plan do you follow? You arent "that" far from target, so I wouldnt expect your losses to be massive generally - might be worth trying sticking rigidly to the 10 syns, and mixing things up a bit plan wise? Do you have a food diary we can look at to see if there is anything there to suggest why this is happening?

If things dont show up by next week, and you attend a group, have a chat with your consultant, she might suggest a week of success express or something to shake your system up a bit...

Thanks MLM. I'm not due on no & everything seems to be ok. I do SW at home (I used to go to class) so I keep my own food diary so I can keep an eye on patterns etc, I don't have it to hand right now. I did wonder if it could be lack of protein....I'm veggie & I follow EE as having two HEX's doesn't work in my favour. I eat salad everyday for lunch, either with couscous & cottage cheese or with new potatoes & cheese from my allowance. Usually for dinner I'll have quorn, lots of veg & something like noodles/couscous/jacket potato. But as I've had my soup for dinner I've had no balanced meal all week & maybe I'm lacking something? Not sure that could effect anything.

The last 5 days or so I have found myself in desperate need of chocolate, I never get like that, so I've had a curly wurly everyday but some days I've had 2. I may try to have up to 10 syns instead of my full 15 & see if that helps.

It could - SS soup is VERY low calorie - you might actually have been not eating enough! I am also veggie but follow green as I like the two hex B's but generally only have one A. If you are going to follow it as EE then you really do need the protein for the balance of your meal. Otherwise you might as well just be doing green and using your hex's for your protein.

It could - SS soup is VERY low calorie - you might actually have been not eating enough! I am also veggie but follow green as I like the two hex B's but generally only have one A. If you are going to follow it as EE then you really do need the protein for the balance of your meal. Otherwise you might as well just be doing green and using your hex's for your protein.

I did make sure I used my HEXA on cheese but I must have missed out on so much protein given I usually have quorn everyday. Next time I think I'll have the soup for lunch & have my balanced meal in the evening as per usual.

tbh although SS soup can be great for helping shift weight its only really going to make a big difference if your usual diet is NOT all that speedy/superfree anyway - you say for dinner you usually have "quorn, lots of veg & something like noodles/couscous/jacket potato" which is pretty speedy and superfree anyway, except for the carb bit - with the SS soup youre omitting the better bits in your usual meal eg Quorn etc. You do Green dont you? So you do need the carbs/protein to be getting enough intake anyway.

Theres nothing magical about SS soup, it just contains the sort of stuff we ought to be eating anyway, and by the look of what you say you usually eat I dont think you need any guidance in that respect.

Also its just one week, you cant really judge anything on one WI. But I dont think youve got anything to be worrying about with your usual eating plan :)

Hey Lisa. Just had a thought when I read what you usually eat. Maybe you are't eating enough full stop? I agree with MLM (nice to see you've taken up the MOD mantle btw Minxy) that if you were replacing your evening meal with SS Soup you definitely can't have been eating enough. What kind of quantities of the free foods are you eating? Is your salad at lunch mainly superfree foods or is is mainly carbs & Protein? I know that i have been struggling big time with SW recently, and have been off plan more than on plan, but this week I figured out why! I wasn't eating enough, and was getting really hungry about 3.30pm and eating the biscuit tin empty. This week I have been having a packet of ainsley harriot cous cous, or a mugshot mid afternoon. Its usually a few syns, but it is far better than a few biscuits, which turns into 10 biscuits! I had become paranoid about eating free foods too much and was eating far more superfree than free foods.

tbh although SS soup can be great for helping shift weight its only really going to make a big difference if your usual diet is NOT all that speedy/superfree anyway - you say for dinner you usually have "quorn, lots of veg & something like noodles/couscous/jacket potato" which is pretty speedy and superfree anyway, except for the carb bit - with the SS soup youre omitting the better bits in your usual meal eg Quorn etc. You do Green dont you? So you do need the carbs/protein to be getting enough intake anyway.

Theres nothing magical about SS soup, it just contains the sort of stuff we ought to be eating anyway, and by the look of what you say you usually eat I dont think you need any guidance in that respect.

Also its just one week, you cant really judge anything on one WI. But I dont think youve got anything to be worrying about with your usual eating plan :)

Thanks Erm. I do EE, purely because when I have two HEX's on Green I don't lose well if at all, it's odd. I find I'm better having just the one HEX which suits me fine really.

Hey Lisa. Just had a thought when I read what you usually eat. Maybe you are't eating enough full stop? I agree with MLM (nice to see you've taken up the MOD mantle btw Minxy) that if you were replacing your evening meal with SS Soup you definitely can't have been eating enough. What kind of quantities of the free foods are you eating? Is your salad at lunch mainly superfree foods or is is mainly carbs & Protein? I know that i have been struggling big time with SW recently, and have been off plan more than on plan, but this week I figured out why! I wasn't eating enough, and was getting really hungry about 3.30pm and eating the biscuit tin empty. This week I have been having a packet of ainsley harriot cous cous, or a mugshot mid afternoon. Its usually a few syns, but it is far better than a few biscuits, which turns into 10 biscuits! I had become paranoid about eating free foods too much and was eating far more superfree than free foods.

I know loads who've joined SW & are shocked to find that they actuallye at more & lose weight. I've never really noticed that with me but I do wonder if maybe this week I wasn't eating enough. About 90 minutes after dinner (soup) I'd feel peckish so I'd have a bowl of green beans. I tend to break my dinner into thirds so it's balanced, protein/carbs/superfree, although I usually throw in more superfree. With my salads I'll fill a bowl of lettuce, pepper, toms etc & just a little layer on the top of couscous. It's 1 syn for that amount & it's enough that it covers my salad & it's filling.

That post a couple of months back "free food vs syn-free food" has stuck in my mind since reading it so I'm really trying to focus on more free food, but in truth the first thing I'll reach for is superfree. Do you think I need to up my free food??

Are you using flavoured couscous and synning it? Why not try using plain stuff and added herbs, citrus zest or spices like ras el hanout or sumac when you are rehydrating it? Then you'll be able to have more with your salad without fretting about the syn value.

What other sorts of things do you use your syns on? Do you snack? Do you always have a HEXB?

Are you using flavoured couscous and synning it? Why not try using plain stuff and added herbs, citrus zest or spices like ras el hanout or sumac when you are rehydrating it? Then you'll be able to have more with your salad without fretting about the syn value.

What other sorts of things do you use your syns on? Do you snack? Do you always have a HEXB?

I either use plain couscous & flavour it like you suggest, or I use the mediterranean couscous from tesco, its 2syns per pack & I only have half at a time.

I always use my HEX, usually for breakfast. I snack a lot, I've always been a grazer! I'll go for fruit unless I'm really hungry so I'd use my syns. I often use 2 on margarine, 6 on a curly wurly & the rest can be on anything like crisps, special bar etc. I usually use 12-15 a day.

I know loads who've joined SW & are shocked to find that they actuallye at more & lose weight. I've never really noticed that with me but I do wonder if maybe this week I wasn't eating enough. About 90 minutes after dinner (soup) I'd feel peckish so I'd have a bowl of green beans. I tend to break my dinner into thirds so it's balanced, protein/carbs/superfree, although I usually throw in more superfree. With my salads I'll fill a bowl of lettuce, pepper, toms etc & just a little layer on the top of couscous. It's 1 syn for that amount & it's enough that it covers my salad & it's filling.

That post a couple of months back "free food vs syn-free food" has stuck in my mind since reading it so I'm really trying to focus on more free food, but in truth the first thing I'll reach for is superfree. Do you think I need to up my free food??

Hmm. I'd say you probably need to up your free foods and if you are hungry, eat some proper food, niot just some superfree. If you are peckish 90 mins after you eat your dinner you are defo not eating enough , and a bowl of green beans will not cut it if you are actually hungry, rather than just fancy something (personally I struggle to tell the difference myself :( ). In fact it probably won't cut it in either case.

Cous Cous is free rather than syn free, so use it as much as you need to. As long as you are doing 1/3rd Superfree in your meals, you shouldn't worry too much about the free food vs syn free thing in my opinion. It doesn't sounds like you are eating enough convenience type foods like pasta n sauce etc for the syn free vs Free food to be an issue. Thats really only something you should be consdering if you eat a lot of mugshots, Mullerlgihts, pasta n sauce etc all the time.

Half a packet of cous-cous is barely a mouthful!!! I eat a packet of cous-cous as a main meal with a salad and the whole packet only just makes me feel satisfied. Definitely do try upping your free foods.

Half a packet of cous-cous is barely a mouthful!!! I eat a packet of cous-cous as a main meal with a salad and the whole packet only just makes me feel satisfied. Definitely do try upping your free foods.

Oh wow maybe I'm not eating enough!! I've always eaten half a pack & felt ok having that to bulk up a salad, but maybe I'm only having that amount out of habit. I'll try to have more free food then.

Are you drinking enough? I really upped my fluid intake this week and saw it reflected on the scales 2 off this week was only half last week.
If you are craving chocolate try doing a green day (which you do anyway with being veggie, even if you say its EE the only difference is that 2nd nHex) and have some brazil nuts for your 2nd HexB as it might be magnesium you crave and they are a good source.
I have also had great success with doing a 7 day planner, really mixes up your Hex's - soup, bread, cereals, nuts, cheese for B's and both milk and cheese for A's. I have also started on milk substitutes such as Kara coconut, Alpro almond and for a treat chocolate oatly.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Are you drinking enough? I really upped my fluid intake this week and saw it reflected on the scales 2 off this week was only half last week.
If you are craving chocolate try doing a green day (which you do anyway with being veggie, even if you say its EE the only difference is that 2nd nHex) and have some brazil nuts for your 2nd HexB as it might be magnesium you crave and they are a good source.
I have also had great success with doing a 7 day planner, really mixes up your Hex's - soup, bread, cereals, nuts, cheese for B's and both milk and cheese for A's. I have also started on milk substitutes such as Kara coconut, Alpro almond and for a treat chocolate oatly.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

I find it REALLY hard to drink!! I don't drink water so I have sugar free squash which I love. Unfortunately my bladder is ridiculously small, I've always had the problem. So drinking what I usually do means I need the loo every hour or less. If I up it I'm needing to go at least every 20 mins. It's not normal but it does put me off drinking more. It's awkward at work as obvioulsy I can only leave my desk so many times during the day... :eek:

I will keep in mind about the A & B choices though. I tend to stick to bread & cheese so maybe I'll try to mix that up to.

I have the exact same problem with my bladder and can really sympathise with you there! I've always had problems and had scans and tests as a kid but they found nothing. I've got such bad toilet anxiety now that I'm scared to drink a lot so I don't drink much fluid at all to avoid interruption to my day. X

As you up your water intake, for the first few days you pee loads, but after that your body readjusts.

So maybe try upping it over a weekend, and by the time you go back to work you should be adjusted.

I have tried bfore but unforunately even after a week I still wasn't used to it & couldn't stick with it.

Sully123 - It's horrible isn't it!! A lot of my friends tell me its my mind saying I need to go, but it's not, when I go it's not even a little bit! Ia ctually do need the loo. I'm having acupuncture for something & she's treating my bladder too, so far no change!

Have you been checked for underlying causes? Chronic bladder infections, diabetes, kidney problems etc?

Sorry but I'm a healthcare professional so always jump to medical conclusions (!) but there are lots of treatments out there for over active/irritable bladders. Long term dehydration due to not drinking enough can lead to UTIs, kidney problems etc.

No I haven't. This will sound awful but I'm under the Dr for womens problems & migraines & I'm there so often I actually feel silly going to see him about needing the toilet so much. I guess I feel like I'm being a pain. I know it's something I need to do, my Acu therapist said there may be a form of tablet or something that helps. I do drink in the day, just not enough, Annoyingly I never get thirsty so sometimes drinking slips my mind completely.

Back