Susie newbie's diary

Discussion in 'GI Diet Support Forum' started by ladyfelsham, 16 November 2011 Social URL.

1. ladyfelsham

ladyfelsham Clean green leafy machine

Start Weight:
    24st0lb
    Current Weight:
    22st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(5.95%)
    Diet:
    LCHF
    Hi all

I've been on the Atkins Minis forum for over a year, but regularly fell off the Atkins wagon - just couldn't handle the huge gains after one small carb intake!

So I gave up completely, reverted to type and have been following the See Food and Eat It diet :eek: for a few months - pizza, pasta, bread of every description, pastry (my Achilles heel) - but I knew I had to pull my finger out and decide what to do. Someone recently gave me a copy of Nigel Denby's "GI Made Easy" - and I just love the sound of it! I might wobble over Christmas but it's better to start now, rather than wait and put on even more weight.

I am going to re-read GL Made Easy again tomorrow, and aim to clean out the cupboards by Sunday, but there are a couple of things I'm not clear on -

- I'm worried about getting hungry, as the "cupped hands" limit seems a bit small?
    - in fact, how much of everything can you eat? Is it unlimited low GL veg?

Sorry if this sounds daft! I look forward to chatting with you all, I have made some lovely friends on the other forum and I'm sure it will be the same here :)

Susie

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. irish molly

irish molly Maintaing LT loss on GL

Start Weight:
    21st0lb
    Current Weight:
    12st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st12lb
    Lost(%):
    8st2lb(38.78%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    TFR/GL
    Hi Susie
    Welcome to the Gi section of the forum . I tried Atkins for a month or so and could not beat eating so much protein and fats. It was not for me.
    I find GL fantastic. Denby's book is a very handy reference and a reread if it is a great idea. As to portion sizes, I feel you really need to keep a close eye on them. At the end of the day, no matter what diet we follow, we must take in less cals than we use otherwise we gain weight!
    If you drastically reduce your intake of processed foods and high carb foods then you really won't feel hungry. GL really does work well.
    When I was in weight loss mode I choose foods from low or medium GL and watched my overall cal intake. Myfitnesspal is a great site to track cals. If you do that for a few weeks you will then instinctively start making good choices.
    Post daily on here and it will help keep you on track. You might get 10-12lbs off before Santa arrives!!
    Good luck

4. ladyfelsham

Start Weight:
    24st0lb
    Current Weight:
    22st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(5.95%)
    Diet:
    LCHF
    Thanks Molly - your losses are amazing, and will be a real inspiration to me, I'm sure!

5. CaliSweden

CaliSweden Silver Member

Start Weight:
    179lb
    Current Weight:
    158lb
    Goal Weight:
    130lb
    Lost(%):
    21lb(11.73%)
    Diet:
    GI/GL diet and Japanese diet
    Hi Ladyfelsham! Welcome to the GI/GL section!

I tried the ultra low carb diet too for a month, but it wasn't for me. If you like veggies, fruits, and carb I think GI and GL will suit you. I notice the days I don't stick to low GL I tend to be hungry or want to eat more.

If you stick to oats and beans they are the most filling, and you're allowed to eat more of them. I've become addicted to oat porridge in the mornings now :)

6. ladyfelsham

Start Weight:
    24st0lb
    Current Weight:
    22st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(5.95%)
    Diet:
    LCHF
    thanks Cali

You're right, I did really miss fruit and oats when on induction - and love the sound of porridge for breakfast, especially now it's getting a bit brr in the morning. There's a recipe in the Denby book where you soak the oast overnight, so will give that a go :)

Can I just clarify - are most of your meals made up of oats, beans, fruit and veg? I think I read that you should only have protein three times a week, and just one egg a day?

I saw this menu plan posted here in 2006 http://www.minimins.com/gi-diet-support-forum/2635-found-some-info-21-day-menu-plan-low-gi-gl.html - and there's protein every day - confused.com! Probably just me not reading the book properly...

Sorry for all the questions - a typical newbie :D

Susie

Last edited: 17 November 2011
  7. CaliSweden

CaliSweden Silver Member

Start Weight:
    179lb
    Current Weight:
    158lb
    Goal Weight:
    130lb
    Lost(%):
    21lb(11.73%)
    Diet:
    I've been eating a lot oat/barley/basmati rice mix lately as a substitute for rice. I tend to eat a lot of dishes that include rice, but now I sub with the mixture.

I do eat a lot more beans than I used to, but usually in the forms of chilli beans (chilli con carne), or curries. I also eat quinoa mixed with chicken bouillon, and a pasta made from spelt flour and durum wheat. For bread, I tend to eat rye bread with lots of seeds in it, so it's really not breadlike. Or I eat Swedish rye crackers. I do eat bread sometimes, but make sure it's whole grain, or multigrain and has seeds in them with lots of fiber.

Eating a lot of veggies is part of the low GI/GL diet, from what I read. The books I have say that half plate of veggies, 1/4 carbs, 1/4 protein, if you were to use a plate as an example. I also eat a lot more fruits now with this diet for when I want something sweet.

I have protein with every meal. You should have some protein with your carbs to make it last. For example I eat oat porridge with flaxseeds and sunflower seeds. Or yogurt with pumpkin seeds, or cottage cheese with pumpkin seeds. Sometimes I have an apple with a few pecans or walnuts as my protein. For dinner there is chicken, pork, beef or fish for me :)

Ask as many questions as you like. The ladies in this section are really helpful. They helped me learn alot about low GI/GL.

8. ladyfelsham

Start Weight:
    24st0lb
    Current Weight:
    22st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(5.95%)
    Diet:
    LCHF
  9. Plumfoodie

Plumfoodie Paleo maintenance rocks!

Start Weight:
    200lb
    Current Weight:
    137lb
    Goal Weight:
    150lb
    Lost(%):
    63lb(31.5%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Primal diet + kettlebells
    Hi susie and welcome! :) just a quickie before I dash off, advice now is that you don't need to limit eggs unless your doctor has specifically asked you to. But they do have calories so as Molly said it's a good idea to track for a few weeks to get an idea of what sensible intake looks like. :) I also have protein at every meal and most snacks - doesn't have to be meat! :)

10. babliboobabu

babliboobabu Full Member

Start Weight:
    9st3lb
    Current Weight:
    8st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    7st10lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1lb(11.63%)
    Diet:
    GI Diet
    Welcome to Gi/GL part of the boards, Susie.

It can be very confusing when you first start on GI/Gl but it's very easy to pick up and if you like eating healthy food, it's a joy.

Just a few things I wanted to mention.

Like others have said, try to eat a little protein in every meal inc snacks and try to eat within 2 or 3/4 hours - during the day I tend to eat around every 2 and a half hours, mostly because my portion sizes are quite small and because I suffer from low blood sugar. The point is you are keeping your digestion busy all day long. I eat 3 meals plus 3 snacks a day, which works for me. Sometimes, I stagger a meal. For example, I will have soup at 12pm and perhaps my fruit and yogurt at 1pm and again this works for me, especially when I have the munchies and I want to eat all day long. As as well as with keeping an eye out on portion control, you also need to limit your starches. So, a good rule of thumb is 1/4 plate starch, 1/4 protein and 1/2 veg/salad.

Also, if you have a high calorie meal or an off day occasionally, that's fine. We live by the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time, we are on GI/Gl but we live in the real life and we try to make the best choices but sometimes it is just not possible. The trick is not to beat yourself about it but just get on with it again. :)

I dont know about you, but I am TERRIBLE at portion control. I found logging my calories consumed on myfitnesspal.com at the beginning very useful. It does mean weighing things but you only need to do that until you can eye-ball it pretty accurately. I still weigh most days because I have a tendency to be a bit on the generous side when I don't.

Have you worked out what your BMR is and how many calories you need to lose weight?

And finally, under no circumstances should you feel hungry on the GI/Gl diet if you are doing it correctly and it's very easy to do it correctly.

11. CaliSweden

CaliSweden Silver Member

Start Weight:
    179lb
    Current Weight:
    158lb
    Goal Weight:
    130lb
    Lost(%):
    21lb(11.73%)
    Diet:
    Totally agree with Ashie on what she said. Especially about going hungry. Last week me was a perfect example of going hungry and ended up gaining weight from it. I tried to overcompensate for my naughty weekend and ended up being really hungry at nights. I ended up with a gain, so all that starving and suffering just to give myself a gain :(

Learn from me, 80/20 rule is wonderful. And when you do eat something not low GL, don't think about just keep on trucking like normal the next day on low GL :)

12. ladyfelsham

Start Weight:
    24st0lb
    Current Weight:
    22st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(5.95%)
    Diet:
    LCHF
    Many thanks all, really great advice :)

Good to hear about the eggs, I love them :) And I think you're right about using MFP a bit better, Ashie, I'm also rubbish at portion size. Some days I don't want much at all, other days I could eat from morning to night - and I can only feel how full I am when I've finished eating, when it's too late!

I think I'll try your approach of 3 meals and 3 snacks when I need to. I don't like eating first thing in the morning (when I've forced something down I have been known to run for the bathroom 5 minutes later, don't know why, been like that since I was young), so will try the hot water and lemon juice, then take porridge (varying toppings like dried apricots, grated apple and cinnamon, agave syrup, seeds) to have when I get to work. Fruit and yoghurts, or crudites and home made hummus (is that allowed?) for snacks, some sort of salad for lunch with beans/tuna/egg and bacon, or soup and my one treasured piece of bread :) Dinner, something like chicken and steamed veg.

How does that sound as a starting menu?

Re calories, because I've got a long way to go, my doctor said to aim for around 1800-2000 - seems like a lot, though, so I think I'll try for around 1400 a day. It's a completely arbitrary figure, I haven't calorie counted for years. What do you guys think?

13. babliboobabu

babliboobabu Full Member

Start Weight:
    9st3lb
    Current Weight:
    8st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    7st10lb
    Lost(%):
    1st1lb(11.63%)
    Diet:
    GI Diet
    We live and swear by hummus :D

Your menu looks good. Make sure that if you are having soup and bread that the soup has protein in it. If I have soup and bread, because they are such low calorie food I tend to eat something else with it such as cottage cheese or a bit of smoked salmon. (BTW, look at what I ate for lunch today!) You are allowed rice or pasta or pulses with your chicken and salad. I've taken Molly's advice on board and eat 30g of uncooked rice (my calorie allowance is pathetically small). You can probably eat a little more. The recommended amount in most books is 40-50g of uncooked rice.

Susie, I would do as your doctor suggested. Stick to 1800 calories to start with. It actually is not that much. Your doctor would have worked it all out for you and you don't want to eat too little for your body/height size because you will go into starvation mode. I hope you don't think I am being cheeky ( I probably am) but I've just done a quick calculation on a website of your weight/height and it's come out at 1800 calories too for losing weight. Your body will need that many calories to function properly and safely. I think the others will back me up on this. :)

14. ladyfelsham

Start Weight:
    24st0lb
    Current Weight:
    22st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(5.95%)
    Diet:
    LCHF
    Thanks Ashie, that's really kind of you (and not at all cheeky) to work it out for me!

I'm sure I will blunder my way through it until it becomes second nature, but will have to be annoying for a little while longer and keep asking questions :D

Night all!

15. irish molly

irish molly Maintaing LT loss on GL

Start Weight:
    21st0lb
    Current Weight:
    12st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st12lb
    Lost(%):
    8st2lb(38.78%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    TFR/GL
    Ashie has covered it so well. Definitely stick with 1800 cals to begin with. You can adjust downward once your losses start to plateau. Don't be in a rush. If you view GL as your new lifestyle then it won't feel like a diet and the bonus will be you will lose pounds every week.
    Breakfast is very, very important so please try and develop the habit of it as soon as you can. Hardboiled eggs are a great standby. I often had one for breakfast when I was very busy.
    Good luck and we are with you all the way!

16. CaliSweden

CaliSweden Silver Member

Start Weight:
    179lb
    Current Weight:
    158lb
    Goal Weight:
    130lb
    Lost(%):
    21lb(11.73%)
    Diet:
    I agree with what Ashie and Molly says. I would stick to what the doctor suggested for your daily calories. 1800 calories is still low, and going into starvation mode isn't fun or worth it. I am doing low GL for a way to change my eating style. It's a change for life, I feel much better eating low to med GL foods. I don't think I ever want to go back to eating potatoes and white bread everyday like I used to.

Hummus is wonderful, and so are chickpeas. It's one of our favorites in low GL:) I haven't had hummus in awhile, I think I'll need to get my hummus fix soon:)

17. ladyfelsham

Start Weight:
    24st0lb
    Current Weight:
    22st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    14st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st6lb(5.95%)
    Diet:
    LCHF
    Home from a quiz night - lots of bad stuff - but hummus was consumed too :)

Aiming to start next Friday, will look forward to all your help and support. Nite all!

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. Plumfoodie

Plumfoodie Paleo maintenance rocks!

Start Weight:
    200lb
    Current Weight:
    137lb
    Goal Weight:
    150lb
    Lost(%):
    63lb(31.5%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Primal diet + kettlebells
    Hi Susie, was it today that you were starting? Hope things are going well. :)

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.