Susie's 2022 campaign

Yes she is being a real star.

Lots of rushing around, the hospital rang to say that yesterday's ECG didn't work - you think they'd check it at the time, eh?! So that was two more cab rides down there and back today, £25, and there were no wheelchairs so i had to walk part of the way through the hospital, so got home and fell asleep on the sofa!

Early start tomorrow, cab comes at 6.45am - but by this time tomorrow night it will all be over (in a good way :)).

Last edited:
2.45am and sleep is proving a little elusive. I'd also love a cup of tea but that will have to wait too - so have been doing some work and feeling happy that I'm now completely up to date with the 10 case studies I'm writing, and I also finished drafting an interview with a senior business innovation person. Hopefully they will like the finished result!

Dishes next, and then time for a ridiculous game I'm addicted to on the iPad :).

Good luck for today sweetheart. Your neighbour sounds great! Very helpful. Your poor legs sound hard to deal with, hopefully they’ll start to heal soon and be less leaky. Let us know how you get on x

Just catching up now Susie and firstly best of luck for today, anything with the heart is always scary but that total breathlessness sounds terrifying and so debilitating.
And secondly, dont be so hard on yourself about trying to treat yourself and not go to the GP, remember you did try to register with one when you moved and couldn't get an appointment with one.
You have really had a bad run of it lately but your GP and hospital are taking all of it seriously and seem to be looking at a whole person treatment which is great.
If you can get the ticker tokking as it should and the lungs puffing well then everything else should fall into place.
Best of luck

I hope today went ok and you are recovering. Sending lots of love your way! xx

Hoping all went well and you are resting and revcovering. How long will it be before you start feeling the benefits

Hello my lovelies

I'm home, safe and on the way to welldome - albeit with the very red outline of an electric shock pad on my chest :). They fixed the heart rate on the 3rd go, so that's all good. Still got the breathlessness but that should improve over the next week or so. Also got to the surgery this afternoon and I'm now going twice a week to have my legs treated and bandaged, so that will be sorted too, hopefully, in a few months! I'm also having a doplar circulation test, so they are certainly throwing everything they've got at the problem. Not much can be done about the RLS, which has kicked oiff bigtime since I got home (unusual for daytime) but I wonder if that's because I've had no magnesium for three days, so am getting loads down me now.

For my part, I'm tired but now 29 days ciggie/alcohol free, and I start on SW on Monday - from home at first, I've ordered a load of meals so I can still follow plan without having to cook until I feel better. Rather counterintuitvely I've ordered a takeaway for tonight but got nothing in, so it's a farewell takeaway! :). SW has worked before, i like it as a plan and it makes sense to me - so that's me, back on plan and no dillydallying!

I can honestly say I never want to have another three weeks like that again - so health is the keyword from now on!

Last edited:
Thanks Katherine xxx.

Well I'm up at silly o'clock, after a couple of hours' sleep, thanks to RLS - now if we could just find a quick fix for that, life would be complete! :D.

Instead, i've had loads of magnesium and now am having a cup of tea, which usually makes me sleepy. Stella is next to me, purring away despite having lost the Battle of the Blanket to Orbit - it's a soft blanket which I keep on the sofa and which has been Stella's sleeping spot since I got her - until now, because Orbit has claimed squatter's rights and looks very comfortable lol.

Glad you are home and feeling better and the shock treatment worked. I really hope you get your energy and breath back soon. Its great that the surgery can now do the dressings on your legs, it means they can keep an wye on it too. Is that something that recently came up along with the other issues or has always been there as i dont every remember you mentioning it before.
Stay rested and look after yourself, and the cats of course.

Is that something that recently came up along with the other issues or has always been there as i dont every remember you mentioning it before.

Morning! Let me give you the 101 on leaky legs :).

I've known I had venuous insufficiency in my legs for years but, typically, done nothing about them - because of poor circulation the blood pools in the ankles and can't get back up, you treat it with compression bandages etc. Untreated, the skin goes purple and all rough, and ventually you get ulcers forming - but from rough, purple looking ankles to then getting cellulitis and sprouting watery holes was really quick, just seemed to happen overnight - and of course added to my whole "WTF is going to happen next?!" state of mind. My dad had cellulitus with an ulcer and it never healed up, they are very tenacious - so of course it was uber silly of me to ignore it.

But it's being sorted now, that's the main thing. I'm supposed to keep my legs elevated, it stops the water seeping out - but who leads a princess life where they can do that all day?! So I try to do it as often as possible, and the fluid seep slows down overnight - and I've got four pairs of slippers on rotation so i can keep my feet dry (the water plops down and makes them saturated in a couple of hours). The surgery is going to get lots of very absorbent bandaging, which will help, and i think you can have the holes stitched up too.

Leaky leg is common with cancer patients, and there's a good forum where I learned a fair bit - https://thelymphielife.com/ - there is a difference apparently between whether the fluid is caused by lymphodema (where you have lots of skin around the lower leg) or venous insufficiency, so that's why the doplar circulation test, etc.

End of lesson :).

Had an ok sleep, up a few times but managed to get back off quite quickly. Feel like I have a tiny little bit more puff this morning, but am under orders to take it easy for a few days anyway. Mentally I feel a lot brighter, had had some low patches there, but now I just want to look at the positives and get myself fitter and healthier!

Food this weekend will be of the 'use it up' variety, so won't record it - but will be all ready for SW WI at home Monday morning!

Uck, but good to know. Isnt that why we got the jiggle boards, to help circulation. I enjoyed mine and remember saying i wasnt 100% sure if it did my legs any good but it did wonders for my digestion. I stopped using it cos of my hip, when we thought it was a tear i didnt want to damage it. Its under the stairs, i must ask at my appointment if i can use it again

Isnt that why we got the jiggle boards, to help circulation.

Yes but i had to stop using mine because it hurt my knees too much (you can't win eh?)

We have a few small businesses locally who cook and prepare SW meals and deliver them to you, could you use something similar which makes it easier for you and also keeps you on track?

Hi Dolly thanks, I'll check it out and see if there are any companies doing that locally - but there's a really good range now at iceland too.

Hello my lovelies

I'm home, safe and on the way to welldome - albeit with the very red outline of an electric shock pad on my chest :). They fixed the heart rate on the 3rd go, so that's all good. Still got the breathlessness but that should improve over the next week or so. Also got to the surgery this afternoon and I'm now going twice a week to have my legs treated and bandaged, so that will be sorted too, hopefully, in a few months! I'm also having a doplar circulation test, so they are certainly throwing everything they've got at the problem. Not much can be done about the RLS, which has kicked oiff bigtime since I got home (unusual for daytime) but I wonder if that's because I've had no magnesium for three days, so am getting loads down me now.

For my part, I'm tired but now 29 days ciggie/alcohol free, and I start on SW on Monday - from home at first, I've ordered a load of meals so I can still follow plan without having to cook until I feel better. Rather counterintuitvely I've ordered a takeaway for tonight but got nothing in, so it's a farewell takeaway! :). SW has worked before, i like it as a plan and it makes sense to me - so that's me, back on plan and no dillydallying!

I can honestly say I never want to have another three weeks like that again - so health is the keyword from now on!
Delighted to hear that you got the heart rate fixed, at least it is one less thing to worry about.

Dr Berg on YouTube has a couple of talks on RLS...perhaps you might find some information that could help you with yours.

Congratulations on being ciggie/alcohol free👏👏👏 That is a major achievement, speaking as someone who use to love smoking.👍

Good luck with starting back on SW on Monday...you did very well on it before Susie and you will again.

I hope you enjoyed your takeaway😊

Sorry to hear about your health troubles Susie - my mum also has that issue with her legs and they do seem to have dressings that can really help - I think she has the lymphedema one but when it is bad and the nurses come out they put absorbent foam patches at the leaks and then bandages and then compression stockings on top and something called yellowline stockings so it can hold quite a lot. (but she also recommends the next sales for slippers as she goes through a lot. she always has a stash of new slippers and stocks up when they are mega reduced in the sales.

Oh sweetheart, you’re going through so much but you are dealing with it all so well. I liked the lesson! My life revolves around health but I like to learn about illnesses that my friends have so I understand more what they’re going through and if I come across anything that could help. I agree, Iceland have a load of tasty SW meals and they are so easy to cook when you aren’t well enough to stand for long. If I need a longer break between needing to get up then I cook them in the oven instead. I used to just beef them up with a load of bagged salad, peppers and cucumber and it’s a big, hearty meal.

Hope your nights have been ok and you’re managing to rest plenty and keep your legs up x

Snowy lovely to see you again hun! And yep to the slippers, I go for cheap £10 men's memory foam ones on eBay, easy to throw in the wash!

And thanks all for your lovely supportive words - I've never been sick before and dealing with wave upon wave of illness hasn't been much fun. Got another bout of cellulitis on Saturday night - no suprise really, my immune system has been taking a real battering, and my dad used to get it a lot, so maybe it's in the genes. But at least I'm out of bed today woohoo! :)

Also discovered a great NHS prescription certificate you can buy for £105 for the year and that's it, no more prescription charges - which is good because the leaky leg bandages are £££££ and i was really worried about how i was going to pay for them!

Not doing too bad on the food front, not terribly hungry most of the time TBH, so am sticking to SW meals and toast for the most part.

Back