Susie's 2022 campaign

Morning girls!

Lovely blue sky here today, which is so nice after days and days of falling snow. Friends came and got me on Thursday so I could do some shopping (wine!) after a week of being snowed in, and now it's time to bunker down again - everything is thawing out but more snow is forecast for this week. And then hopefully that will be it for the rest of 2017!

Haven't done any cc'ing for a couple of days, will get my head back in the game once the weather sorts itself out.

Hope you are all well and not too hampered by bad weather!

Morning Susie, pleased to hear from you :) Bet you were pleased to get out on Thurs & not just to stock up, I had visions of you getting cabin fever with being snowed in. There was something on the news the other day about snow in Europe and Italy looked bad, you've had tons more snow than us!
I've got a new gadget! Well, a sort of gadget, a wobble yourself thin exerciser (vibra power). Seemingly 3mins every other day is enough to tone you up:rolleyes:
Have a good day X

Hi Susie, great to hear that you're fine and have managed to get out for the essentials, ie. wine, lol:D

We've only had a few flakes of snow where I am, but the threat is there. Hope yours melts nice and quick so that you can get back to normal - we got snowed in for 3 or 4 days back in 2010 and it was a very unsettling experience, so I can totally understand how hard it would be to stick to an eating plan at a time like this.

Just look after yourself (and the cats, of course!) and worry about it when this rotten weather pushes off:mad:

Take care xx

Hi susie glad you got out hun and got your bits for you and the cats you are a women after my own heart with the wine lololol

Well girls another day, another drama. Woke to find the radiator spraying water all over the bed! Got it switched off but once I'd mopped up (the mattress is soaked!) and got downstairs, found the boiler's not working again and I've got no hot water.

Went outside to switch it off and on again, but no pilot light - and the dogs had got into the rubbish and chucked it everywhere.

Think I'll go back to bed for a bit on the sofa!

Ah no! What a horrible start to the day! Have you still got heating or is that knocked out too? Hope you can get someone around quickly to get it sorted.
Like your signature, keep on keeping as you're having a bit of a testing time there. Big cosy warm blanket ((hugs)) XX

Thanks hun - that's my lot of 3 bad things for today at least lol. No central heating but I've still got leccy so I've got my trusty oil filled radiator on full blast :).

It's all part of life's rich tapestry eh?

Blimey! You're not having the best of it at the moment :(

What I want to know is why do plumbing disasters ALWAYS happen at night or at weekends when it's either hugely expensive or not even possible to get a plumber? It never fails!

We had a major leak from the cold tank in the loft just before Xmas which resulted in water pouring through two ceilings upstairs and the lounge ceiling downstairs, and it HAD to happen on the eve of Xmas eve, at 10 o'clock at night when I was having a flipping bath:eek:, and on the night before we were going away!:mad:

So you have my sympathy, in, erm..buckets!

Hope you can get it sorted ASAP - this is no time to be without heating :( xx

LOL Scrumbles - yep all that stuff seems to happen at night or on weekends. Luckily my builder mate came round and has just fixed it - because of the leak, the water pressure fell too low and the boiler switched off. It's back up and running now and I once again have hot water and central heating!

He says to really keep the house warm enough i need to run the GCH continuously - not looking forward to the gas bill though! I'll have to sleep downstairs for a night or two while my bed dries out.

Off shopping soon - the friends who saved me the other night are coming back this afternoon and we're off to get supplies, as it looks like another four days of snow from tonight.

Morning ladies - heavy, heavy snowfall overnight, about 2 feet deep so far, and it's set to last the week. Luckily the shop I did yesterday will keep the cats and I going!

The cats have been great, they are really taking it in their stride, and Orby is being very good - she normally gets quite agitated if she can't go out during the day. I'm still feeding the little one, who - when not being fed - stands mewling at the window, with snow flakes all over her. But I can't keep her in sadly, and she's managing fine so far.

Power and internet keep going off, and they didn't turn the water back on until 11am this morning - I seriously thought the pipes were frozen! But I FB'd a friend at the council - and by some mysterious coincidence the taps started running 30 mins later :D.

So we're warm, dry, fed, watered, etc. Hope you are all well xx

wow susie my beautiful friend you are getting some right weather there love i hope you and the cats keep warm and you can get to the shops again so and it clears fast x x x

Morning all! We're alive and well - the power and water went off for 24 hours, but all returned to 'normal' last night.

I have to admit I had a bit of a cry then, made me realise how scared I actually was. I'm just not built to cope with this survivalist nonsense :D. But we're all good today, and I just had the longest hot shower ever - it's the first time I've been able to wash properly for a few days, and it was WONDERFUL!

Lots of rain here now, and set to do so for days, so it should get rid of the snow - and then I can actually get in the car and go somewhere!! Freedom - another thing I missed bigtime.

Hope you're all well. Thanks for all your lovely posts, they really helped cheer me up! xxx

Later - oops spoke too soon - now there's earthquakes in Amatrice again (about 30 mins from me) - six quakes/aftershocks in the last 90 mins. Felt 2 of them, but we're ok xxx

Last edited:
Oh my goodness, Suzie :eek: Everything seems to be happening at once for you! No wonder you've been scared, it's a lot to cope with, especially when it's your first winter there ((hug)) but never forget, you are coping really well. And just think, what interesting stories you'd have to tell if you were putting it in your book:)
Keep safe love Tibbs X

..just think, what interesting stories you'd have to tell if you were putting it in your book:)

Awww thanks love, that's really sweet of you to say. I did have a good night's sleep, so feeling much chirpier today :). And yes, I'll be able to dine out on all this for years haha. Apparently it's the worst winter for 30 years - so in many ways it's good it happened my first year, so I can learn (the hard way) how to make the house warm in future.

Do you have Hot Water Bottles? I snuggle up to 2 every night. So Cosy top and bottom :)

Another thing to go on the shopping list, Looking!

Morning all - still snowed in and the rain has stopped, but is set to pick up again today - let's hope it whooshies it all away!

In the meantime, I was talking to friends last night about running an informal slimming group. Let's face it, I am PANTS at dieting on my own! If I have friends round once a week, maybe it'll help keep me on the straight and narrow. Will probably go back to SW principles - I love the flexibility of CCing but there's no controls to it, and I need stricter rules to follow - because otherwise I let myself off all the time! One or two seem keen, so will get that going once we can all get around a bit easier.

Sxxx

That sounds awful having no power & water. I'd have been terrified, so you're coping much better than I would! Glad you're ok though, & hope everything thaws quickly so you finally get your freedom back!

Great idea with the informal slimming club, doing it alone is so so difficult xx

Susie, so glad you and the cats are safe. It does all sound a bit surreal. But glad you have now been able to wash!

Informal slimming group sounds like a great idea. There are some posts on here from international groups - Spain seems to have some informal active groups. Might be worth having a look :)

What part of Italy are you on? Was hearing on the news about the avalanche triggered by earthquakes last night that hit a hotel. Is that far from you?

Keep safe

That sounds awful having no power & water. I'd have been terrified, so you're coping much better than I would! Glad you're ok though, & hope everything thaws quickly so you finally get your freedom back!

Not yet sadly, more snow this afternoon, and now it appears the earthquake has affected the main bridge out of town. So I think I'll just stay put for the time being :).

Just now - Power and water just back on - yaye!

Susie, so glad you and the cats are safe. It does all sound a bit surreal. But glad you have now been able to wash!

Informal slimming group sounds like a great idea. There are some posts on here from international groups - Spain seems to have some informal active groups. Might be worth having a look :)

Oh thanks Buffy, will do, One friend is interested, the rest have shied away.

What part of Italy are you on? Was hearing on the news about the avalanche triggered by earthquakes last night that hit a hotel. Is that far from you? Keep safe

It's so terribly tragic about the Hotel Rigopiano! It's about an hour from mine, and there are all sorts of questions being asked now about why the emergency services didn't respond to earlier calls from the hotel. Four wee kiddies died, and the hairdressers in my village too, Luciano and Silvana. So very sad - I met Silvana in the post office months ago and she was lovely.

Keep bursting into tears - sorry for the people who have died or lost their homes. Sorry for me - selfish I know, but there it is. I lost power and water again today for 8 hours and FM this house is cold, so I had on - thermals, trews, socks, slippers, a hooded fleece, cardigan, woollen poncho, woollen coat, the hoodie bit on my head, and a thick scarf.

Just want things to get back to normal. We have an expat get together scheduled tomorrow - coffee then lunch - at Casoli but it's not happening now because the mall where we have coffee has collapsed. Peoples' livelihoods down the drain...I can't go anyway because the driveway is still full of snow.

Sorry, will come back on when I am feeling a bit more upbeat. Thanks for your kind thoughts xxx

Last edited:
Oh Suzie, my heart goes out to you. It's such a sad and frightening time for everyone over there. It must be making it worse not being able to meet up with your friends for support. I hope the villagers pull together and dig the snow away from your drive so you can all meet up soon.
Stay warm, stay safe love Tibbs x

Back