Susie's 2022 campaign

Hey Susie, glad to hear you are feeling better now. The pizza and walnut bread seems to be helping your recovery . Finish it up and draw a line under it and start again. We are not called WeMITTs for nothing. It sounds like you had a lovely weekend. X

Thanks Charley - walnut bread finished off this morning; and now I'm just back from another lovely lunch at the beach.

Not too excessive - tomato based pasta with a very little bit of crumbed sausage meat and chillies, one small piece of bread, two glasses of wine, then coffee and gelato - my first one for months!

Such beautiful weather here - but 32 expected tomorrow eeek!

Thanks Charley - walnut bread finished off this morning; and now I'm just back from another lovely lunch at the beach.

Not too excessive - tomato based pasta with a very little bit of crumbed sausage meat and chillies, one small piece of bread, two glasses of wine, then coffee and gelato - my first one for months!

Oooh sausage pasta, you have made me think of n'duja - do you cook with it? I adore it, whenever I see it on the menu in an Italian restaurant I have to have it!

Your day sounds beautiful again, what lovely food....but 32 sounds hot hot hot!!!

N'duja? Just had to google it - if it's from Calabria we won'g see it here, they get very territorial about their food :D.

A very slow day here, too hot to do anything else! Just grazing on leftovers today, so not much to report.

I think I would have a hard time with not having gelato in 32 degree weather! Supposed to get up to 27 here next week, and I am already thinking about the ice cream at the marina near my house. ;)

I also struggle with changing my diet all the time. I get so easily bored, even when something is working! I figure as long as we have more on-plan days than off, it doesn't matter what the plan is, as long as it's healthy. And as long as it isn't something that requires constant commitment, like low-carb ketogenic stuff.

Yes you're right GSP!

Afternoon all, been a busy couple of days in muggy heat, ghastly! Clouds are overhead so I'm hoping we'll get some rain to freshen things up.

I was chatting with an expat at lunch today who rather handily used to be a nutritionist before she retired. She was very patient and encouraged me to tell her all about the various weight loss plans I'd tried - and she thinks I should ease off the panic pedal a bit and just try eating healthily, like the Med diet, but without following a plan. More fruit and veg, less meat, less sossies :)eek:) - and some walking. I always chicken out of exercise because my knees are so sore, and I'm so unfit! But I know that just a little bit each day and they will get less sore, so I really have to try hard to do it. So, from next week, the plan is to drive to the beach (about 25 mins away), take some painkillers and walk a bit each day from the car and back. I love being by the beach so hopefully that will distract me from it hurting.

Of course, being me, after talking to her and nodding earnestly in agreement, I then scoffed a load of hot chips...! :oops::rolleyes:. But on the whole I think a Med diet would work quite well - she even said I should make my own pizza base from wholewheat. Also means I can have yogurt, fruit smoothies and so on, plus wine (although perhaps not in the quantities I have it in!). It's easy to eat lots of fruit at the moment - went to a friend's for dinner last night and she'd bought the most beautiful, juicy, huge cherries I've ever had!

That sounds like a great idea and similar to what I am "supposed" to be doing. I know the walking will be painful but if you can do any at all each day it will benefit you.

And I will hide all your wine if you hide all mine

That's how I started out when I was first losing weight, Susie. Adding more fresh produce, trying to enjoy treats in moderation (though I still struggle with the moderation bit tbh), and moving more. I don't think I had any sort of plan till I was 5 dress sizes smaller. Honestly, I spent so much less time stressing about food then! And it did work.

Have you ever tried seated exercises? You can find loads of videos on YouTube. I used to do them when I struggled to walk long distances. They are surprisingly good at getting your heart pumping! And once I lost a bit, it was much easier to work my way up to long walks.

Hi there just found your diary I also read your first post. I hope you are having some success since your first post. Its fine if your not at least you are trying to do something about it and you can remain focused. The thing that works for me is moderation and you should be allowed everything so not to feel deprived. Planning is also key, try planning breakfast lunch and dinner and you could only buy some wine at the weekend. Also try and change shopping habits. Try not to keep treats in the house but if you do want some sweet things then you could buy something in place like health bars or yogurt or something smaller than what you have normally even if it is chocolate, also I like having chocolate milkshake for my sweet fix. I think that if you keep less in your house it does work because then you have to physically go to the shop, hopefully end up not getting round to it ;-).

That's how I started out when I was first losing weight, Susie. Adding more fresh produce, trying to enjoy treats in moderation (though I still struggle with the moderation bit tbh), and moving more. I don't think I had any sort of plan till I was 5 dress sizes smaller. Honestly, I spent so much less time stressing about food then! And it did work.

Have you ever tried seated exercises? You can find loads of videos on YouTube. I used to do them when I struggled to walk long distances. They are surprisingly good at getting your heart pumping! And once I lost a bit, it was much easier to work my way up to long walks.

That's really good to know GSP, thanks so much! Not looked up seated exercises, will do that today.

The thing that works for me is moderation and you should be allowed everything so not to feel deprived. Planning is also key, try planning breakfast lunch and dinner and you could only buy some wine at the weekend. Also try and change shopping habits. Try not to keep treats in the house but if you do want some sweet things then you could buy something in place like health bars or yogurt or something smaller than what you have normally even if it is chocolate, also I like having chocolate milkshake for my sweet fix. I think that if you keep less in your house it does work because then you have to physically go to the shop, hopefully end up not getting round to it ;-).

Yes moderation is my problem Georgie - so have got some choc and other stuff ready in a bag to give to a friend today! And good idea on the wine. It's so cheap here, everyone buys boxes (and it's lovely), but it means it's always there. Got no alcohol at all in the house at the moment, so will keep it like that for a while :).

Well it is sweltering! Had a big thunderstorm last night but the humidity came straight back so the a/c was on all night again, phew. Better steel myself for the electric bill! :). Pasta on the menu today, going to use up the stuff my friend gave me, then give the fridge a good clean out, ready for lots of lovely veg.

Thanks for your reply! Thats good that your giving chocolate to a friend! Yes it is hot isn't it? Im actually going to a wedding today so its all fun and games ;-).

Evening all

Been a good day, googling lots of Med diet recipes and making myself hungry LOL.

Cleaning the fridge properly tomorrow morning, then am out for lunch tomorrow and will do a shop after that, so I'm all set for Monday.

Have decided only to WI once a month if I can, to see if that helps me see eating this new way as just something that's ongoing and not to get worked up about :).

Hope you're having a lovely evening.

Hi Susie!
Good luck with the Med diet, sounds lovely! Hopefully it will help you to not put too much pressure on yourself! I'm looking forward to reading your up coming menus! xx

Thanks El! xxx

Fridge is done - a bit ashamed actually, I had to throw way too much fruit and veg out. Still, it's done now, and I also rescued a pineapple, cut it into chunks and that's ready to be used for morning smoothies.

Needed a distraction today - been in tears about my friend in hospital, probably because two of her brothers are here...we're going to lunch in a mo so really need to mop myself up and plaster a smile on.

Have a good one, all xx

Hope your day as a good as it could be yesterday xx

I feel guilty if I throw out fruit and veg as well. But, You have a symbolic fresh start, and you have been able to make use of the pineapple at least.

How has today been? xx

Actually the lunch on Sunday was lovely, thanks El - the brothers swore she was recognising them and could move her hand, so maybe we're in for a miracle?! She has been moved to a rehab hospital about an hour away. so won't be able to see her as often, but she's getting fabulous treatment, so let's cross fingers.

Another scorcher here - I don't well in the heat so am staying indoors!

Hi Susie just catching up, it sounds like slightly promising news about your friend, good news indeed, esp. if they deem her ready for a rehab hospital.

So the Med Diet - I love the idea of a med diet and you will have all the necessary seasonal veggies and fruit to hand out there for it. Good for you! When are you starting? I would love it if you kept up with your menus of the day so I can steal a few ideas!

xx

Back