Susie's 2022 campaign

On the positive side.....running to the loo means that food is our of you and won't cause a weight increase.o_O

LOL yes true - although my tum is still rock hard and completely bloated and sore today. I'd soaked them overnight, but maybe they weren't cooked long enough...anyhoo, I'm on ginger and peppermint tea now.

Clean up continues. Not much else to report.

Last edited:
Hi when are you moving back to England? Is there a date set yet? I hope things go well. I know what its like being out in a foreign country
Like Italy alone but I only stayed for 3 weeks for a language holiday i was ready to come back but at the same time it was good experience and a change for me.

Hi when are you moving back to England? Is there a date set yet? I hope things go well. I know what its like being out in a foreign country.

Hi Georgie - looks like my moving date is 21 October, arriving back in the UK on the 23rd. I'm following along behind the removal van because I haven't driven that distance on my own, so even though it will be slow it will be nice to have company at coffee/petrol stops.

But not a recommended long term solution

Nearly back to normal tummy wise, thank goodness - my word, it was unpleasant! Eggs on toast in a minute, had nothing to eat for two days and I am starvingggggggggg! :)

Hi Susie,
Am so glad you've made a decision about where to live. Since deciding for definite your posts do seem a lot more upbeat and wow you're making progress on getting everything sorted!

Love the experimental cooking. All sounds delicious x

LOL yes true - although my tum is still rock hard and completely bloated and sore today. I'd soaked them overnight, but maybe they weren't cooked long enough...anyhoo, I'm on ginger and peppermint tea now.

Clean up continues. Not much else to report.
I think when cooking they need to be brought up to a boil before being reduced to a simmer, so maybe the slow cooker didn't get hot enough? Or it could just be that you aren't used to eating that many pulses all at once! I think it's best to introduce them bit by bit. I always end up in agony when I try to introduce more pulses into my diet too quickly, but I never seem to learn.

Yay for clearing stuff out! I always feel so relieved after I've done that. Good luck with the upcoming move! :)

Yes i was quite pleased with the total - sold pretty much all of my kitchen gadgets (Tibbs will be in mourning lol) - but it was a very odd feeling to have people coming into the house, picking through my things and curling their lips in slight disdain :).

Still, it's enough to get the downstairs bathroom tidied up, which will help sell it I hope - but will also see if I can find someone to rent it long term - which means I can leave the sofa, wardrobes and other bits and pieces in the house - which means I've more than halved the amount i'm taking back with me!

:woohoo:Wow, Ladyfelsham very well done on the takings from the garage sale. Everything seems to be coming together nicely for your move home now. :D Great article, I can't wait to cut out the stodgy carbs later this month. I might invest in some keto sticks too for when I fall back onto my clean & green eating with Atkins. I think they'll help to motivate me!

I had two helpings of the chickpea/toms/rice concoction yesterday (to use it up) and OH MY GOD did it pay back big time. I was in massive tummy pain from about midnight until 10 this morning, running to the loo constantly and cramping in between. Chickpeas are banished from this house forever more!

Same thing happens to me if I eat chickpeas..the pain is terrible isn't it. You can use ajwain to de-gas beans https://wholenewmom.com/recipes/ajwain-and-epazote/ but I was like you and decided to ban chickpeas for ever after being doubled up with pain. From now on i'll de-gas all beans just in case.

It would kill me having people curling their lip in disdain at my precious gadgets! I would have a heavy heart letting them go...but ooo the ones you can buy when you get home. Not long now until 21st Oct X

You're really cracking on with getting organised for the move - I'm very impressed 'cos I'm the Queen of Procrastination and would be expecting to do everything the day before, lol

I hope you're fully recovered from the chickpeas - pulses are treacherous little beggars! :eek: I have occasionally used dried ones myself for economy reasons, but then I think of the fuel needed to boil the living daylights out of them and make them safe and I reckon it's probably as cheap to use the canned ones, so I do!:rolleyes:

Hope September is bringing you some relief from all that heat!xx

Same thing happens to me if I eat chickpeas..the pain is terrible isn't it

OMG I couldn't believe it Tibbs! Still having a few (ahem) problems...so am just trying to eat simply at the moment until it finally :sick0019:

I'm so looking forward to coming home. It has been a great adventure, but I just can't wait now - six weeks to go! Still got a bit of stuff to clear out, most of which will be binned I'm afraid, they don't do charity shops here. I've arranged for a couple of young friends to come and help move the heavy stuff on moving out day, and another close friend is coming in to clean the house from top to bottom after that. She's also going to pop by regularly and check the mail etc.

Then the next thing to worry about will be finding a job - although you won't be surprised to hear I've started worrying about that already :).

Morning all

Lovely Richard is here for the next few days working on the downstairs bathroom - luckily I set the alarm, because he got here at 8! He's busy scrapping all the crappy old peeling paint from the ceiling and walls, filling the cracks in the plaster and painting. Next will be maybe a new bath going in (the old one is completely rusty and has chips in the enamel) and floor tiles - and then it will be a whole new bathroom which will hopefully be more attractive to buyers. It has a horrible metal door to it but apparently there's paint for that.

Once it's done I'll take pics and get it on some FB buy and sell pages and Rightmove - so will send you the link once that's done.

Morning, I love it when a good plan takes shape and you can actually see where you're headed, I don't cope well when working my next step out. You sound so much more up beat since deciding to come home, very happy for you Suzie. Work and the need for a wage is always a worry but you haven't been away too long to have been forgotten and people that knew you in a work capacity will be thrilled to have you back and work will head your way soon. You also did that piece of journalism not long back so could tap back into that field if you fancied..I wonder if any travel mags would be interested on your views of Abruzzo.
Looking forward to seeing your photos, will you put one of Orbit & Stella on too please. I've heard so much about them that I'd like to see them.
Enjoy your day X

Awww thanks Tibbs! I do feel a lot happier now the decision to come back has been made; plus it's a bit cooler now - mid 20s - which really helps my state of mind.

I'm even thinking now that I might even keep the house - it's unlikely to sell in the short term, there are people here who have had their houses on the market for seven years or more. I've made some good friends here and want to see them again; plus I've put so much time, effort and money into fixing it up. It also means I can leave a lot more stuff here!

I'll keep the utilities on and come over as often as I can, and save hard so I can get the rest of it finished (like some basic landscaping) and then rent it out on Airbnb or something like that for the summer months.

Pics of the furbabies coming up if I can remember how to do it - two separate pics, Orbit still chases Stella away whenever she's in the vicinity. I can see Orbit looking at me saying "She breathes my air!" :D.

Back