Susie's 2022 campaign

@tipperary you got me thinking about a keto Christmas meal last night LOL. I've posted dessert ideas on the Keto Recipes page.

Well I'm at work but feeling dead on my feet after a terrible night's sleep. It felt like I got enough sleep but was awake with RLS three times, and had bad dreams, so when the alarm went off I wanted to throw it through the window lol. Never mind, that's what coffee is for.

Had to push back my keto start to Monday as another friend told me last night she is coming to stay for the weekend (I know, Hotel Felsham has a revolving door at the moment!), and I imagine Friday will consist of wine and bad stuff. I'd forgotten it's a holiday on Monday so that's perfect, the Asda shop is coming Sunday and that gives me plenty of time to prep and get meals all sorted for the week - so there is NO excuse! :)

We"ll be waiting for you! Have a lovely weekend with your friend.

Thanks Ali!

Not a great sleep last night again. I've decided I need to reduce my magnesium intake because I'm currently taking over 5 times the recommended dose in supplements at night because of RLS. I had thought it just flushed out of your system, and I am convinced that menopause affects the absorption so the magnesium doesn't stay in my system for very long. Any excess is supposed to flush out over 24 hours but I take it, then get RLS again 2-3 hours later. So in the wee hours this morning I was reading about magnesium overdose (as you do), and prolonged use can in fact lead to kidney problems, so I'm going to have to find another approach. Of course, what it does also mean is that my RLS bouts are getting more frequent, which doesn't make me happy - I don't know if any of you saw the series on RLS on Channel 5 in March, but one older guy on it had the same experience, that it just got worse and worse, and he ended up self harming and smoking dope, anything to switch his mind off.

However, low carb might also come to the rescue as a few case studies have reported their RLS went away on low carb! Oh gosh I can't tell you what that would mean for me! I haven't had a single night for over five years where I slept right through.

So, here's to Keto! :)

It would be great if it did. Though i hope we are not all banking too many hopes on keto

I did change the vit regime last night, really cut back on the magnesium (only had two lots instead of 4-5) and instead had D3/K2, L-Tryptophan and iron before bed - they are all supposed to help relieve RLS, and the advice from the RLS Society is to take them at night. I did get off ok at 9pm, but then was awake at 10.30pm, 12, 2.30 through to 4am, 5am, 6.30am and then up at 7am.

This is my usual sleep pattern at the moment so I'm the typical wet rag today - but I get to leave at 4pm woohoo, then got a friend coming over for pre-LC wine and crisps - so one way or another I should sleep a bit more tonight - and hopefully get some nana naps in this weekend too - when I'm not cooking up a story :).

I'm not surprised you find it tough. I'm grumpy if I miss a little sleep. I'd be poleaxed with that sleep pattern. Have a fab weekend.

I agree with Ali. Would any sort of sleeping tablets help. I dont mean prescribed ones but something natural or melatonin.

Would any sort of sleeping tablets help. I dont mean prescribed ones but something natural or melatonin.

Sadly not, I've tried them all and it turns out I have a serotonin sensitivity - so all the valerian/melatonin/herbally sleep aids just give me horrendous nightmares and even shorter sleep patterns. Out of desperation I also tried Ambien, but it didn't help either, I got to sleep but the RLS dopamine thing in the brain is so strong it overrides it. I don't want to take uber strong chem sleeping pills anyway, you get all srts of problems and rebounds, so will just have to persevere and hope that low carb and the new regime will help.

There are all sorts of weird and wonderful 'remedies' out there - some people even swear by putting a bar of soap in their bed! (tried it, no good lol). Ditto having tonic water (for the quinine) and bananas (for the potassium) before bed.

Oh thanks Charlotte, I didn't know that - did have some slightly out there dreams last night, but didn't put it down to that, just my usual overactive imagination :D.

Might leave the Tryptophan out tonight - although sleep tonight is being brought to me via a predicted rowdy evening with an old friend and an overconsumption of red wine LOL. It might not be quality sleep but hopefully I'll be out for the count! :)

Susie! Homes Under the Hammer made me think of you yesterday! They had a property in Seaham, and it looked lovely!

Sorry to hear about the RLS, it's a right bugger! I get what I think might be it (or similar) occasionally, and it's just awful. Hopefully the red wine helps you sleep tonight 😂😂 I'm on the Rosé!!

Wow susie, it really is bad. Thats really tough.
Whst about acupuncture or hypnotherapy.?
If my sleep was that compromised i just wouldnt be able ti function at all.

Oooh El I love HUTH - tried to find the episode but no joy lol. And thanks for your concern ladies, I did get some sleep this afternoon - love a nap with Stella, she curls into my neck and we snooze away - but man does she snore! :D.

My mate has gone home now after a very late Friday night (where I managed to twist my knee, ouchie!) and a very slow day yesterday as a result. Last alcohol for me for a while, want to give low carb the best start.

My Asda shop arrived today, with loads of stuff missing, which is annoying - checked all the supermarkets and there seems to be a shortage of chicken. I'm also really confused about the macros - how do you work yours out? I tried a few different calculators but they all came up with different results.

Oh no, I hope your knee is ok!

I hate it when there’s stuff missing, probably because of the bank holiday.

Carb manager is quite good but that’s the only one I’ve used before x

Love the picture of your snorey smoozefest!
I've just discovered Aldi delivers locally. Is it wrong to be excited that? Aldi and Asda are 19 miles away. Lidl is 5 miles.....

I don't count macros. I aim for under 20g carbs. I'll dig out the calculator someone recommended to me. Have you seen the new keto forum Pierce made for us? I've decided we can post on fasting there too.

Back