Susie's 2022 campaign

Thanks @Manxy64 that would be great.

Well, what a depressing last few minutes at work - I had to wait for the boss outside the Boardroom, the glass doors of which reflected my obesity straight back at me! Like a lot of big people I avoid mirrors at all costs - so it was utterly horrible to look at myself in disgust for 15 minutes! I have a very long way to go before I will be able to embrace any sort of positive body image - but it did make me really realise that I need to act now and stop fannying about.

So, low carb it is. I'm still confused about whether I need to do the under 20g carbs to get into ketosis first, or whether I just reduce carbs by cutting out potatoes, pasta, rice and conventional bread??? Thoughts please, my panel of experts?

Susie i dont know if i am in ketosis or not. I dont think so but i am losing wright and im not as strict at the weekend. I havent had any pasta or rice at all. The only potato i have had has been chips once a week maybe if i eat out on friday or get takeway. I have had some bread at the weekends, a sort of a la carte approach to keto but a sensible one. Remember you did yry it a few weeks ago and your digestion dodnt cope with the extra fat so be careful what you do

Oh Suzi - we have all had those moments - I hope you are feeling better now.

You know I am not sure about the whole ketosis thing - because there are many websites that would have you believe you can't be in Ketosis unless you are under 20g of carbs - but I'm generally not under 20 as I say and I'm losing - I also bought some of the urine testing strips off eBay and they say I am in ketosis based on the level of ketones - but there are lots of warnings that these aren't accurate but they generally say that once you are in kind of long term ketosis you'll be using up the ketones so there won't be any in your urine -so they can give false negatives but not false positives but my understanding is that low carb even if it doesn't put you fully in ketosis where that is your only energy source, will still have you producing ketones which will result in fat burning and weight loss. For example, I am tracking everything my fitness pal but that is less about tracking and more about keeping me on track - I literally will put something down I can't have rather than log it on my fitness pal and admit that I did it (I know this is weird but it sort of works) but my dad is just avoiding potatos, rice, pasta, bread, fruit (except berries) and other starchy veg and he's losing too so I don't think the tracking is entirely necessary, it just keeps me on track.

There are lots of bread recipes that look good with what they call fathead dough - I had plans to try that at the weekend but instead sat around whinging about my cold.

Also I think digestion issues are quite common when starting a high fat diet but shouldn't last?

Ah thanks to you both, that sounds sensible and sustainable - I just couldn't handle the thought of fiddling about with macros and all the rest of it every meal!

I think I'll just do like you peeps do and see how I get on - and hopefully avoid the Atkins flu! I flicked back through my diary and I wonder if the discomfort caused by the extra fat was to do with the MCT oil I was having, it made me feel really queasy. I also remembered (lots of brain activity here lately lol) about the gorgeous Nudo oil - it's expensive but lasts a fair while - they do flavoured ones and the mandarin oil is LUSH! I used to pour it over chicken pieces, with lettuce and sometimes some mayo, and oh my it was lovely. I love their lemon oil too. So there's a lot of nice food things to look forward to.

Oooh yes the fatboy dough, I'd forgotten about that - will add it to the list. I was thinking about the whole Susie Bread Challenge thing in the wee hours this morning and I've decided to do LOTS of prep on the weekends, including the 90 second bread etc, and then it's there if I want to reach for it. I've got no bread in the house now, and only a few carby things, like a couple of tins of chickpeas, so I can give those to a friend at work.

Soooo the plan is to get rid of the carby crap, get shopping on Friday night, then cook up a storm so I've got the entire working week's food all sorted.

Oh and I'm going to give up wine again lol.

Do you buy your protein from Aldi, mostly?

Wow, brave to give up the wine completly. But yep, wine can be a case of all or nothing😏

Do you need the MCT oil? Try without it and see how you go, i dont have any. But now am just having olive oli on salads and hot chocolate made with thick coconut milk.

I'm not sure how long 90 second bread will last but it is easy to whip up if you have a craving.
I get a lot of stuff from aldi yeah. The one near me is good for meat though i know they can be a mixed bag depending on location. But they are cheaper for meat and cheese generally. Their nuts are a good price as is the no sugar peanut butter but their unsweetened almond milk still has carbs in so there is a lot if label checking still on things that aren't meat or cheese.

Apparently you can make up a loaf and feeeze it? I'll experiment and report back.
Ah I've only made a slice/bun at a time. I did see a very simple recipe for flaxseed bread the other day which I want to try. Need some freezer bags. It comes out very wholemeal apparently but st ill better than no bread. I will also report back.

Morning Team Fab

Not so icy out there today thank goodness! Still getting through the carby stuff, but did my online shop last night. the last week or two I'd been getting quite upset thinking, "I'm always going to be fat and getting fatter, my health is going to get worse and worse..." and seeing no way out - but I read up on a heap of low carb case studies where women my age had done really well, which always gives me a boost - whatever the plan :).

So now I'm actually feeling excited to get started, which is a great feeling, and will do menu planning tonight.

I have been there as well and helpfully I normally end up eating to make myself feel better, then feeling bad because I've binge ate and so on and so on.
Low carb is meant to help with insulin resistance as well which contributes to obesity etc so thats another reason I'm really positive about this plan.

It sounds like you are cooking on gas anyway.

Suzie, its only normal to feel like that at times. But important not to stay stuck in that feeling and let it drag you down. You know yourself well and know that once you form a plan and get started that you lose weight quickly. Spend the weekend drawing up meal plans for the week and prep your food. Stick to it and see if you lose any by the following week. If you do you know its working.

Thanks guys, appreciate your kind words during my wobbles!

And Tipp you're so right, I just need to STICK WITH IT! :D

One small fly in the ointment, forgot I've got a friend coming to stay with me next Friday to Sunday. She's veggie so won't want anything meaty, so I'll either make two meals or we eat veg, and I'm sure she'll be game and try low carb bread. I just don't want to put it off any longer.

Quorn always give me an upset tum, unfortunately.

I've kept back some pasta, passata, chickpeas and beans for her meals, and will probably have something separate for me - luckily she doesn't mind people eating meat in front of her, none of her kids and grandkids are veggie :).

Not much to report - it's raining. Again...

Having a lazy one after a late night with a mate who came over for some red wine - so now the wine cupboard is empty and won't be restocked.

Just having fun reading recipes and getting my head in gear for a cookathon tomorrow.

Morning - had a marathon sleep in, it was lovely to wake up all warm and with Stella curled up next to me.

Will try and make the meat pie, and the chicken pesto and feta casserole today, plus omelettes for breakfast, and maybe some fatboy rolls.

Once i wake up lol.

Ideas for veg main courses.

Omlette and salad
Butternut squash casserole
Thai green veg curry
Stir fry veg with konjac noodles and cashews

Back