SW beef curry

Hey everyone, I need help on how to make a basic beef curry, I always make a chicken curry and want to do beef this time but need help as I know it will be different to a chicken curry! I'm not fussed on using all spices I just want the basic beef, onion, mushrooms curry powder and stock plus I always add peas to my currys but not sure on the method, would it be the same as chicken but just use beef stock instead and beef obviously

I use stock, red onions,mushrooms,Madras powder,butternut squash,beef heehee Chuck mine together in slow cooker and about 1 hour before eating stir in a tin if chopped Tom's

I know you said you're not fussed on using all the spices but I strongly recommend shoving a tablespoon of ground cumin and a cinnamon stick in pan with your fry light when you brown the onions, it tastes yummy with beef and way better than just curry powder! Don't forget to take the cinnamon out when you serve it though!

Pete’s Beef Curry

Serves 4
Ingredients

1tsp olive oil (2 syn/4= 0.5syn per person)
450g beef stewing steak (ff)
1 onion, finely chopped (s)(sff)
1tsp “Very Lazy” Garlic (sff)
1tsp “Very Lazy” Ginger
1tsp “Very Lazy” Chilli (s)(sff)
½tsp asafoetida powder
½tsp fenugreek powder
1tsp cumin seeds
1tsp cumin powder
1tsp coriander
1tsp turmeric
1tsp garam masala
2tsp curry powder (for a hotter curry use up to 2tbsp)
1 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes (s)(sff)
Knorr Dark beef stock pot mixed with 200mL water
225g long grain rice (ff)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Method

Put the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, and add the ground seeds and asafoetida powder, cook for 2 mins to allow the oils to come out, add beef cut into 25mm chunks and brown on all sides. Remove from pan, reserving juices with the beef stock, and season with salt and pepper.

Cook the onions until transparent then add the garlic, ginger and chilli, cook for 2 mins, until tender, and season with the cumin, coriander, curry powder & turmeric. Mix in the chopped tomatoes.
Return the beef to the frying pan. Add stock and the fenugreek powder.
Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 50-60 mins with a lid on the saucepan until the meat is tender.
5 mins before serving add the garam masala.

Serve on a bed of rice.

Beef Curry (Small).JPG

Pete’s Beef Curry Dopiaza (Revisited)

Serves 2

Ingredients

½ tsp asafetida powder
½ tsp fenugreek powder
½ tsp coriander
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 cup of peas (ss) (ff)
1 garlic clove, finely chopped (sff)
1 tsp garam masala
1 tbsp. sweetener
2 tsp Hot Madras curry powder
4 large onions, 2 finely chopped, 2 sliced (s) (sff)
125g long grain rice (ff)
400g chopped tomatoes (s) (sff)
225g stewing steak with the fat removed & cut into small pieces (ff)
Knorr Dark Stock pot made with 200mL water

Method

Fry the finely chopped onions in a saucepan with the lid on, sprayed with Fry Light until soft, add all the spices except the garam masala.
(Boil the 2 remaining onions until cooked then set aside.)
Cook the meat with the onions & spices. Mix well, cook for 10 mins then add the tomatoes, stock & sweetener, reduce the heat to a simmer, cook for 40mins (the longer the better for flavour) then add the boiled onions, peas, garam masala and cook for a further 5mins, serve with rice.

Beef Dopiaza-3 (Small).JPG

Back