SW Chips Tips Please! :)

purpleboots

I made SW chips last night for the first time, following the recipe on the SW website. They were alright but I don't think I quite got them right. I got the water boiling before adding the chips in to boil, but then the water went off the boil and took quite a long time to get back to boiling point (about 5 minutes) and then I was afraid they might be overdone so I only boiled them for 3 minutes then. When I tried to shake them up and make them fluffy they didn't really go fluffy...I know it is probably a stupid question but I'm a bit rubbish at cooking! Do you wait for the water to come back to boiling and *then* time for 4 minutes?

You just need to boil them until they start to go a little soft. Don't worry about exact times.
I usually make wedges, put a few potatos in the microwave, like I was going to make a jacket, just let them start to soften, chop them into wedges, on a baking trey sprayed with frylite.

You just need to boil them until they start to go a little soft. Don't worry about exact times.
I usually make wedges, put a few potatos in the microwave, like I was going to make a jacket, just let them start to soften, chop them into wedges, on a baking trey sprayed with frylite.

Thanks for the tips! I was debating leaving the skins on, is that what you do with wedges? How long do you micro them for?

Sounds like they weren't cooked enough to rough up the edges, I usually have the opposite problem and have in the past, produced what was not far off oven baked mash in the past :D

You can leave the skins on if you like, they're still really good and you get extra fibre.

like has been said, dont bother with exact times just bring the tateys to the boil and check to see if theyre soft when theyve been in a few mins!! give them a good spray with frylight i like the new barbecue one!! i like to cut mine so theyre not so fat, if my mam makes them she makes them too fat so they go a bit soggy i like mine with a bit of crisp on them!

Sounds like they weren't cooked enough to rough up the edges, I usually have the opposite problem and have in the past, produced what was not far off oven baked mash in the past :D

You can leave the skins on if you like, they're still really good and you get extra fibre.

lol im a great one for overcooking things too!

I do not even bother preboiling them I just cut pots into chips of desired thickness spray with fry light then place in oven tossing on the tray after about 15min and again if necessary and place in 180C oven rather than 200c take a bit longer but not when you consider you have to faff around with washing saucepan etc.
if I want them quick then cut to chips place on a large place in microwave for 3-5 min depending on how many! ( just till they soften a bit!!)
GOOD LUCK AND WITH SW TOMATO KETCHUP (I make it up and place hot into hot sterilised jars they keep unopened in. Fridge for. Months if they have a chance!! And open one jar at a time and place in a sterilised squeeze bottle and use very frequently and all SYN free)

I am so bad at SW chips :( just can't grasp it haha!

I do not even bother preboiling them I just cut pots into chips of desired thickness spray with fry light then place in oven tossing on the tray after about 15min and again if necessary and place in 180C oven rather than 200c take a bit longer but not when you consider you have to faff around with washing saucepan etc.
if I want them quick then cut to chips place on a large place in microwave for 3-5 min depending on how many! ( just till they soften a bit!!)
GOOD LUCK AND WITH SW TOMATO KETCHUP (I make it up and place hot into hot sterilised jars they keep unopened in. Fridge for. Months if they have a chance!! And open one jar at a time and place in a sterilised squeeze bottle and use very frequently and all SYN free)
Oh really?! I didn't know there was a recipe for that. Is it really tasty? Where did you get the recipe from? (I can't see it on the SW website and I'm logged in. There's one for BBQ sauce that's 1 syn, will investigate!!)

smschofield81 said:

Never ever thought of that! Cracking idea! Seems easier than boiling etc. Thanks!

If you use marabel potatoes from asda you don't need to boil them first as they are quite soft, I usually put Cajun spice or whatever spice flavour I fancy in a bowl spray the spice with fry light then toss the potatoes in the bowl till they are covered and ovenbake for about 25 mins or longer depending on thickness of chips. I find if the seasoning is to dry on the potatoe it burns really easily which is why I mix it with fry light first. Also these potatoes have a buttery taste so when mashing you only need to add milk.

I think I must over boil mine because when it comes to the stage where I shake them to roughen them up they turn into mashed potatoes!

I cut mine really thick so when I shake them to Mae them fluffy to go nice and crispy I don't have to worry about them breaking into mash potatoe lol. Then I put the oven really high like 220 lots of fry light and lots of salt helps the crispy was on top after spraying. Sometimes shake them after 30 minutes and another 5, spose they come out like long thin roast potatoes but they are beaut ;)

I know its not exactly the answer you are probably looking for but have you thought about purchasing an air fryer from Philips? I know they are expensive but god do they do the best slimming world chips you have ever tasted!!!!

You shake them about three times and two lots of fry light from raw potatoes. No boiling water and if I didn't know any better they taste like the real thing and you can use them for all sorts including making syn free roasties.

I've had mine a year and we are having syn free egg, chips and beans today and it doesn't feel like I am making any real effort.

kind regards

sam
X

I know its not exactly the answer you are probably looking for but have you thought about purchasing an air fryer from Philips? I know they are expensive but god do they do the best slimming world chips you have ever tasted!!!!

You shake them about three times and two lots of fry light from raw potatoes. No boiling water and if I didn't know any better they taste like the real thing and you can use them for all sorts including making syn free roasties.

I've had mine a year and we are having syn free egg, chips and beans today and it doesn't feel like I am making any real effort.

kind regards

sam
X

That's interesting, anyone got any idea if you could use Fry Light in an Actifry? I've been thinking about getting one or the other...

You definately need the salt to dry them out a bit. I hardly boil them. Just maybe 3 mins. Then dry them with kitchen paper and sprinkle with onion salt. Really hot 220 oven. And give them a shake after ten mins. The onion salt makes them taste beautiful. Also use sunflower fry light. Olive oil makes them soggy!! :)

I cut jacket potatoes into chips shapes then microwave them for 5 mins. Spread them out on a baking tray sprayed with frylight then spray the chips with frylight. Pop in the oven at 200C for 20 mins or until soft in the middle. Guaranteed perfect chips everytime!

kind regards

sam
X

Cool, I'd never even heard of airfryers so I will take a look, interesting idea!

Back