SW chips

mama_mia

Silver Member
Does anyone know how best to bulk make SW chips (uncooked) for the fridge or freezer???

Well SW chips are just potatoes cut up and sprayed with fry light- if you leave the skins on they'll only take a minute to prepare, so can't understand why you'd wanna freeze 'em? :)

Thanks ladies!

I believe in bulk cooking (cook once, eat several times), therefore I am asking if there is anything I can do to prevent having to cut, parboil and bake chips daily. The answer may be "no" but I thought I'd ask....

i used to parboil but i am impatient so i tried just sticking them straight in the oven with fry light and salt and they cooked and browned nicer. they were only in for about 20 mins today so i've saved myself some time by not parboiling. this might help if you usually parboil them first. :)

Thanks Katty, that's very helpful. I didn't know you cld cook them without the parboiling so will give it a go.

Have also been told I can parboil and freeze so may do that too.

Much appreciated x

no harm in trying, people buy bags of frozen chips so you never know, might work. could seperate them in freezer bags or something.

That's what I was thinking. I have a busy job and life so cooking a full meal daily isn't what I want to do.

Thanks again and, having seen you elsewhere on the forum, well done with your weightless. X

If you really want to treat yourself, the Philips airfryer is fantastic. Just soak the potatoes in water for at least 30 mins, pat dry, spritz with oil and chuck them in for 20 mins. So fast and taste delicious. Anything that is normally fried can be cooked in there.. Slightly off the point but can't praise it enough!!!

Sounds fab!

I love gadgets (and potatoes) so what a perfect combination. I will look into it...

Have you got one then????

mama_mia said:
Sounds fab!

I love gadgets (and potatoes) so what a perfect combination. I will look into it...

Have you got one then????

I bought one last week and have used it twice a day! It's the best time saving (previouslu wrote consuming ha ha) gadget ever and the chips, potato skins and wedges are AWESOME!! It's a bit pricey but worth every penny - the best chips with only a few spritzes of oil - genius! Let me know if you decide to get one xx

i use to chop then par boil for a few mins then spread out on a tray to cool then put in freezer on the tray and when almost frozen put them in a bag,
but since i stopped par boiling them and put them in the micro instead then in the oven they dont take half as long

Shrinki
I am on the case and will defo be investing! I lurve chips and, if I can give my daughter healthy ones id be happy. Currently buy the McCain rustic ones which are low syn but wld love the syn free option more so I can have CHOCOLATE! lol

Metrognome
Its the parboiling step that was one step too many for me. Good idea about the microwave, I'll give that a go too

Thanks ladies x

mama_mia said:
Shrinki
I am on the case and will defo be investing! I lurve chips and, if I can give my daughter healthy ones id be happy. Currently buy the McCain rustic ones which are low syn but wld love the syn free option more so I can have CHOCOLATE! lol

Metrognome
Its the parboiling step that was one step too many for me. Good idea about the microwave, I'll give that a go too

Thanks ladies x

My kids love the chips. Also, you can put any frozen items for the kids such as fish fingers or chicken nuggets without any fat and they come out lovely and crispy. You can also use oven chips in there (and need no oil at all with those). My kids think it's the best invention ever!

I love making my own home made chips now they are deff they best, i have found though when freezing them sometimes the chips go black :confused: i have no idea why it does this at all!? Does anyone have any ideas how i can stop this happening, i preboil them, leave them to cool and chuck them in the freezer.:sigh:

Someone has told me to dry them before freezing so it may be that they're too wet???

Yay I got my airfryer and it's brilliant!!!! Reminded me of childhood when mum used to make them for me.
Thanks for te recommendation ladies, wish I'd bought one ages ago.

Back