SW - Curry Lovers!! Thai Curry Paste!

Showag

Ive been back from Thailand for about 3months now but being out there and tasting all the different curries me and my partner did a cooking course when there and got taught how to make the curry pastes. All of these can be used with coconut milk or alike.

Plus this is a work out on those bingo wings!!

The past receipes are as follows -

Red Curry Paste

1 Large slice (around teaspoon size) of Kaffir Lime Skin (Normal Lime skin is fine as kaffir is hard to get hold of)
1 Piece Lemongrass - fresh if possible
Tblespoon of Gingseng
Tblespoon of Coriander seeds
4 cloves of Garlic
1 small diced Shallot
6 chopped Dried Large red chilli
2 slices of Turmeric - fresh if possible if not 2 tspoons
1 slice of Galangal - Thai ginger, I recently saw this in Asda so it is possible if not then normal ginger is fine.

Put all the dried ingrediants - not the chilli - into a mortar and grind until you have a powder.

Add the chilli and grind and pound until it breaks down quite small then add the rest of the ingredients and pound until you get a paste.

When adding to coconut milk it, heat wise, is upto you, the more paste you add the hotter it will be!

To make green curry paste the ingredients are the same except you use green chillies instead of red (fresh chillies).

To make Panang curry past you add peanuts into the red curry past and grind down into the paste.

And to make Khaw Soi curry paste you had yellow curry powder (mild as possible) to the red curry paste.

I also have a receipe for Massaman curry paste but am yet to dig it out, this one tends to be a lot spicer so i dont use it!

Obviously for SW reasons it is best to use the following to keep syns down! After reading a few threads on MiniMins the best options for the coconut milk seem to be -

1 Tin of Blue Dragon low fat coconut milk = 18syns and will give you a better syn value over 4 servings.

Soya milk + coconut essence = use the soya milk as your hexa and not count as syns. Ive heard coconut essence can be quite hard to find and a little expensive but can be bought online and lasts forever! You wont need a lot! This seems to be the best site for it -

Coconut | Edibles - Flavourings | Jane Asher Party Cakes | Sugarcraft Shop | London

I think you could most likely use skimmed milk also with coconut essence? Maybe have a swap around and see what is best for you!!

I do have some more receipes for Pad Thai, Pad See Uw and some soups so once I dig my receipes out hopefully I can adapt them to SW!!!

Hope this helps any curry lovers!!

I was wondering about "ginseng" Did you really mean ginseng?

Back