• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

SW friendly iron rich food

auntynet

S: 13st2lb C: 10st5lb G: 10st7lb BMI: 24.1 Loss: 2st11lb(21.2%)
Any dark green leafy foods are good iron sources, spinach, kale, watercress, cabbage, broccoli, sprouts, peas etc. Red meat is also a good bet. Lots of info on the interweb about it.

Shrimpy

Gold Member
S: 13st6lb C: 8st12lb G: 8st11lb BMI: 24.2 Loss: 4st8lb(34.04%)
Iron-rich foods include:
  • dark-green leafy vegetables, such as watercress and curly kale
  • iron-fortified bread
  • beans
  • nuts
  • meat
  • apricots
  • prunes
  • raisins

S: 13st5lb C: 12st11lb G: 10st7lb BMI: 29.8 Loss: 0st8lb(4.28%)
liver is rich in iron aswell

Try having a glass of orange juice if you can spare the syns as it helps with the absorbtion of the iron tablets.

lsf666

Watch this space...
I used to be anaemic and the best thing you could do is to have vitamin c with your iron rich meal too as this helps absorption. I used to have ribena or juice. You could have no added sugar squash or just have high in vit c veg with your meal too?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

HelsAngel

Silver Member
S: 11st0lb C: 10st10.5lb G: 9st8lb BMI: 25 Loss: 0st3.5lb(2.27%)
I was on iron tablets last year too and my advice would be to also up your fibre! ;)

Shirleen

Gold Member
S: 21st12.5lb C: 21st4lb G: 12st0lb BMI: 45.3 Loss: 0st8.5lb(2.77%)
I'm on iron tablets although as I get diarrhoea I can only take them for four days with a weeks break....it'll take me years to get my levels up lol!
I take vitamin c tablets before a meal, try baby spinach raw rather than cooked, (increases the vitamin c).
Limit the calcium taken at the same time as iron rich foods..so a watercress sandwich would be better with ham/beef than cheese.