SW Frozen Meals - Syn Free Sausages

lt52

Silver Member
Really surprised by the Syn Free Frozen Sausages. How is everyone else finding them?

At £3 for a bag of 6 i am very glad that i enjoy them obviously!

Now i'm not a massive fan of having to resort to frozen meals but i am giving them a shot to see what all the fuss is about, and because one day i may resort to convenience at times.

How is everyone else finding these?

Lee

8847677947934.jpg

I absolutely hated them. They bore no resemblance to any kind of sausage I have ever eaten.

It was pointed out to me that they were quite similar to other low-syn sausages, and I have to admit that I don't usually eat low-syn ones, so maybe my expectations were too high.

If I want sausages in the future, I will buy proper sausages and syn them. Never again will I try a low-syn one!

Had these today, they were ok taste wise but 6 for £3 is a bit of a rip off and I doubt I will buy them again. Although not a patch on a normal sausage though!

I absolutely hated them. They bore no resemblance to any kind of sausage I have ever eaten.

It was pointed out to me that they were quite similar to other low-syn sausages, and I have to admit that I don't usually eat low-syn ones, so maybe my expectations were too high.

If I want sausages in the future, I will buy proper sausages and syn them. Never again will I try a low-syn one!

Wow - that's so bizarre i used to love a good proper not worrying about anything type of sausage but now - i am all about the low syn better for you sausages.

Had these today, they were ok taste wise but 6 for £3 is a bit of a rip off and I doubt I will buy them again. Although not a patch on a normal sausage though!

Yeah i agree with you on the price wise thing but i did think the only other sausage i usually have are qourn fat free syn free 6 pack for £2 or Weight Watchers at nearly £3 for 8.

They remind me of something but i can't quite put my finger on what....

I've def heard more negative things about these meals than I have positive.

Im yet to try any of them, and I agree that the prices are a little high.

However, I'm sure you couldn't make the meals yourself at home for less than £3 so for those relying on convenience I'm sure they are good value.

Ive only ever had one brand of sausage that really impressed me, and they are wickes manor pork sausages, and I doubt they are low syn, but goddam, they are delicious! I really don't like tasteless low syn snags. The ww ones are thick and rubbery , im guessing the sw ones may be the same.

I've def heard more negative things about these meals than I have positive.

Im yet to try any of them, and I agree that the prices are a little high.

However, I'm sure you couldn't make the meals yourself at home for less than £3 so for those relying on convenience I'm sure they are good value.

Ive only ever had one brand of sausage that really impressed me, and they are wickes manor pork sausages, and I doubt they are low syn, but goddam, they are delicious! I really don't like tasteless low syn snags. The ww ones are thick and rubbery , im guessing the sw ones may be the same.

Very true, i do like the WW and Slimming World low syns ones - its strange isn't it. They are a lot more meat based too, which is good

I don't mind the WW ones. Sure I think they're "funny" tasting but not actually bad. I generally prefer butchers ones but a 1 PP (or low syn) sausage can be helpful when recreating a sausage recipe for me. How do the SW ones stack up to the WW ones for those that have tried both? I haven't got around to getting the SW ones yet.

I've tried 2 ready meals so far and I think they are definitely more for convenience than taste. They're about on par with other "diet" freezer meals I have tasted and probably have similar portion sizes despite large looking boxes. Its certainly an attempt by SW to grab a piece of the WW/Diet Chef/Supermarket etc market share on ready prepared meals than anything else, but I can't say I blame them and they don't seem either better or worse than any other brand so far. I will be interested in what they put in their sauces. I will be making the "beef Crush" recipe from scratch this weekend as it was disappointingly watery and artificial and I'm interested in the "not stuffed with preservatives" recipe.

I don't mind the WW ones. Sure I think they're "funny" tasting but not actually bad. I generally prefer butchers ones but a 1 PP (or low syn) sausage can be helpful when recreating a sausage recipe for me. How do the SW ones stack up to the WW ones for those that have tried both? I haven't got around to getting the SW ones yet.

I've tried 2 ready meals so far and I think they are definitely more for convenience than taste. They're about on par with other "diet" freezer meals I have tasted and probably have similar portion sizes despite large looking boxes. Its certainly an attempt by SW to grab a piece of the WW/Diet Chef/Supermarket etc market share on ready prepared meals than anything else, but I can't say I blame them and they don't seem either better or worse than any other brand so far. I will be interested in what they put in their sauces. I will be making the "beef Crush" recipe from scratch this weekend as it was disappointingly watery and artificial and I'm interested in the "not stuffed with preservatives" recipe.

I much prefer the slimming world ones to the WW ones. They do taste more meaty and like a sausage. But they are frozen, more expensive (although higher in meat content i believe - might not be right there) and you get less for having to pay more. They are syn free so don't have to count them but WW ones aren't too high really.

They are more expensive but i think they are bigger

Well it would be hard to have a sausage smaller than the WW ones and not have to label them "cocktail" sausages. I do want to get the SW ones to try out, but they are expensive for what they are and I'd mostly rather prefer to pay for "proper" butchers ones. Although as I said they're mainly for casseroles/toad in the whole with high PP batter or "need a low PP sausage in a roll *now*" options.

I enjoyed the sausages i found them a nice change to quorn and a tasty extra to my cooked breakfast , i will be buying them again the price isnt so cheap but i dont think iv found any low syn ones any cheaper

I enjoyed the sausages i found them a nice change to quorn and a tasty extra to my cooked breakfast , i will be buying them again the price isnt so cheap but i dont think iv found any low syn ones any cheaper

I agree, they are way better than quorn and not too much more expensive - it might only be treats and i tend to have fads so once i've had a couple of them i'll be over them for a bit

I found the SW sausage to be better if cooked with things like onion and roasted veg. Cooked on their own they were quite dry and very hard. I get the feeling they would work well in a casserole too.
But for me, I'd rather use a syn or so and have Tesco's healthy living sausages. They are pretty good taste wise if you are careful not to over cook. And the big winner for me is that 2 packs of 8 sausages are currently £3. I know they are smaller than the SW ones and syned but such a huge difference in price makes me choose these.
I had a nasty cold last week and was very pleased I had a SW ready meal in because I felt too horrid to cook nor had I prepared and got anything out of the freezer to defrost. I LOVE cooking but between illness and having a two year old there are times where I need convenience. I had the salmon pasta and really loved it. It was huge too and could have served 2 with a side of salad or veg. £3 for it wasn't too bad I thought.
x

I found the SW sausage to be better if cooked with things like onion and roasted veg. Cooked on their own they were quite dry and very hard. I get the feeling they would work well in a casserole too.
But for me, I'd rather use a syn or so and have Tesco's healthy living sausages. They are pretty good taste wise if you are careful not to over cook. And the big winner for me is that 2 packs of 8 sausages are currently £3. I know they are smaller than the SW ones and syned but such a huge difference in price makes me choose these.
I had a nasty cold last week and was very pleased I had a SW ready meal in because I felt too horrid to cook nor had I prepared and got anything out of the freezer to defrost. I LOVE cooking but between illness and having a two year old there are times where I need convenience. I had the salmon pasta and really loved it. It was huge too and could have served 2 with a side of salad or veg. £3 for it wasn't too bad I thought.
x

Yeah i tried them on their own just for curiosities sake. They would be nice in a casserole type thing and i shall do something creative with them.

It52, depending where you are in Notts you should check out Bonds butchers in Carlton. They make their own very low fat burgers, sausages and meatballs that are lovely. We never syn them and it hasn't affected our weight loss

It52, depending where you are in Notts you should check out Bonds butchers in Carlton. They make their own very low fat burgers, sausages and meatballs that are lovely. We never syn them and it hasn't affected our weight loss

Oooo wow thanks lovey, i am quite far from Carlton actually i'm one side and Carlton's the other lol. Doesn't mean i won't one day though!
I love meatballs, burgers and sausages, i am such a big meat eater. Thanks for the tip lovey. I only ever syn sausages as there aren't many out there you can't but as for meatballs and burgers i try and make my own and when using shop bought as with all meat i keep it as grease free as humanly possible.

Hope your are doing well on the SW journey!

Lee

When you cook their burgers, sausages and meatballs not one bit of grease comes out. You have to frilight your baking tray or they stick! Worth a trip over to the dark side of town I think ha ha.
Doing OK thanks. Certainly works! :D

When you cook their burgers, sausages and meatballs not one bit of grease comes out. You have to frilight your baking tray or they stick! Worth a trip over to the dark side of town I think ha ha.
Doing OK thanks. Certainly works! :D

Haha i love it - although i might be on the dark side of town on the derbyshire border lol. That's really good - must be amazing quality, worth the trip clearly!

It does work doesn't it. I've lost me 5 stone 7lbs so i'm just maintaining now - needing some inspiration as its been over a year now and i'm starting to repeat too many things - posh burgers might be a way forward lol

Ooh, speaking of posh burgers, you reminded me of something I used to make years ago - burgers with blue cheese and bacon in the middle! Might just have to try making those again sometime soon, they were amazing...

Ooh, speaking of posh burgers, you reminded me of something I used to make years ago - burgers with blue cheese and bacon in the middle! Might just have to try making those again sometime soon, they were amazing...

Oh yeah i posh burger indeed lol - i also think perfect in a wholemeal roll totally looks rustic and posh - oooo and served on a wooden board lol

Back