SW - General help with Syn values, Green Days and Soup Recipes

Laura_Cook

Hi everybody

I'm restarting Slimming World after gaining a lot of weight during pregnancy. I aim to lose 3 stone 12 lbs to get down to a weight I would be comfortable at. I hope to lose 21lbs by the time I take my Daughter on her first holiday at the end of September

I struggle with convenience when it comes to creating meals as I struggle to find free time with a 12 month old into everything Daughter.

My intention is to mainly have Green Days as I eat a lot of Vegeterian meat free products already although I am not a vegetarian.
Firstly does anybody know if there is a Syn value in Tesco Vegetarian Meat-Free mince?

I aim to eat Lasagne most days for lunch as I can batch make this when my Daughter has gone to bed and then defrost each day.

I am looking for soup recipes on Green Days so I can take them out and about in a flask on days I'm not home for lunch.
I am not keen on celery so I avoid this ingredient when following soup recipes.
I've tried a few in the past and find I have to force myself to eat them as they're revolting.
Does anybody have any recipes that are nice?

I like sweet potato and find it gives a soup a creamier texture, are there any other ingredients I can add to create a yummy combination.

Does anybody also know the Syn Value of the following food items
- Linda McCartney Italian vegetarian sausages?
- Tesco lasagne white sauce
- Tesco mushroom bolognaise sauce
- Tesco vegertarian meat-free mince

Can I use Kingsmill White Crusts-away bread as a Healthy Extra?

Thanks to anybody who can help answer my queries and sorry for all the questions. I want to start ASAP and can't make a meeting until Thursday 12th July - 11 days I could be already losing my baby weight.

Hi there good luck, firstly no you can't use the bread as a HEX only 60g of whole meal counts as a B choice.
Those tesco pasta sauces are VERY high in syns and you can work it out as it will be 1 syn for every 20 cals. But making a sauce your self is super easy just use pasata and the oxo spag Bol cubes, and some garlic purée and you can ad it all to the mince as easy as adding a jar!
Those sausages I think are half a syn each.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Oh also my fav soup recipe is potato and leek, so filling and cheap and healthy, and spicy potato using sweet potaoes. Do a little google search and the bbc good food website is ace for that stuff! HTH

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my query ally7997
I shall get some whole meal bread to use as Healthy Extras, I was told by my Slimming World consultant when I joined in 2009 not to use the 20 calories = 1 Syn formula as it doesn't often work unless it's being used for chocolate and treats.

Does anybody have access to the proper Syn calculator as I don't want to be eating food thinking its within my allowance and then get to weigh in day and be dissapointed.

I will try Potato and Leek soup ally7997, Im not keen on spicey food but I will have a look on the BBC website. Thank you once again

Tesco mince is 1 syn for 100g, think there is 400g in the pack. However quorn and asdas meat free mince are free :) italian sausages 1/2 syn each.

I don't really cook soups, I'm not that brilliant at it so if you find some nice recipes let me know lol I did a recipe for mushroom soup last week that was nice that I got from here though, soften onions, garlic in a pan (I did it in a bit of water) then add loads of chopped mushrooms I used the asda smart price ones and some chestnut ones. Add 2 pints of veg stock (knorr veg stock cube and boiling water) and simmer I did this til the mushrooms had softened. Then when done add a small tub of 0% total yogurt and blitz in blender. It was nice and creamy, mushroomy and syn free! Really enjoyed it but unfortunately I made too much and some ended up getting chucked lol I'd only make half the amount next time.

I don't mind mushrooms so I will give that a try Rochelle1
I would love to find a soup I enjoy eating, it would definately help me from falling off the diet plan when it comes to convenience.
I will let you know if I find any.
Thank you for your help with the Syns, do you know if Asda's meat free mince tastes much the same as Quorn mince as I find that's not as nice in meals as the flavour overpowers the sauce where as I can never taste any different between beef mince and Tesco meat free mince when it's in lasagne

Your old consultant is correct it can only be used for those things plus anything WITHOUT a free food allowance such as a pasta sauce, NOT things like burgers and ready meals as they have a free food! But I will look at syns online for you!

The white lasagne sauce is 22.5 syns.

Lots of good advice here already. I use the asda meatfree mince and it is lovely. Their meatballs are gorgeous and only 3 syns for the whole bag, and their burgers taste great for only 1 syn.

Check out the recipe and syn values forums on here - you can do a search and find pretty much anything. Oh and the 1 syn per 20 calories works perfectly for anything without a free food as the main ingredient. Jars of sauce don't get a free food allowance full stop so it works for them too. :)

Thank you ally7997, that really is a lot of Syns but I suppose I'll get 4 servings out of one jar as I only put white sauce on the top of the lasagne so thats 5 1/2 - 6 Syns per serving which isn't so bad I suppose

Patchworkpuss I think I'll take a trip to Asda and try their meat free range. Meatballs sound nice!
I just need to find a nice homemade sauce for bolognese and I have a fair few low Syn recipes to try. I shall attempt the recipe mentioned previously and let you know how I get on.

I don't mind mushrooms so I will give that a try Rochelle1
I would love to find a soup I enjoy eating, it would definately help me from falling off the diet plan when it comes to convenience.
I will let you know if I find any.
Thank you for your help with the Syns, do you know if Asda's meat free mince tastes much the same as Quorn mince as I find that's not as nice in meals as the flavour overpowers the sauce where as I can never taste any different between beef mince and Tesco meat free mince when it's in lasagne
The asda mince tastes much the same as the tesco one. The tesco mince gave me a funny tummy, don't want to be too graphic lol but it didn't agree with me! We had a bag in the freezer so used it on thursday for tea. I put the tummy down to that as it was the only thing that was different that I'd eaten. But it did taste much the same as asdas. So much cheaper than extra lean mince these things arnt they, I don't like beef mince anyway lol

Lots of good advice here already. I use the asda meatfree mince and it is lovely. Their meatballs are gorgeous and only 3 syns for the whole bag, and their burgers taste great for only 1 syn.

Check out the recipe and syn values forums on here - you can do a search and find pretty much anything. Oh and the 1 syn per 20 calories works perfectly for anything without a free food as the main ingredient. Jars of sauce don't get a free food allowance full stop so it works for them too. :)

Oh those meat balls are lovely! I don't like things like that with pasta but had them as sort of turkish kofte meatballs in a wholemeal pitta with salad and mayo really enjoyed it! Will be buying again.

Sorry for hijacking the thread with my question lol but has anyone tried the chicken style pieces? Fillets? Asdas or quorns. I was thinking of trying but can't imagine what they'll be like!

Sorry for hijacking the thread with my question lol but has anyone tried the chicken style pieces? Fillets? Asdas or quorns. I was thinking of trying but can't imagine what they'll be like!

The asda meatfree chicken style pieces are good, better than the quorn ones imho but they have a small syn value. Quorn plain fillets are a bit bleugh tbh so I tend to buy pieces but I have recently tried their new sticky BBQ fillets and they are delicious and syn free. The asda fillets are fairly high in syns compared to the rest of the range so I don't buy them. HTH

The asda meatfree chicken style pieces are good, better than the quorn ones imho but they have a small syn value. Quorn plain fillets are a bit bleugh tbh so I tend to buy pieces but I have recently tried their new sticky BBQ fillets and they are delicious and syn free. The asda fillets are fairly high in syns compared to the rest of the range so I don't buy them. HTH

I have a bag of the quorn pieces in the freezer so will use them this week. Ill check the syn value out for the asda ones then. I do think tescos and asdas meat free range is better than quorn! The sausages and burgers 100% nicer. Just had morrisons meat free kiev and it was nicer than a meat one! Good job as I have another 7 left in the freezer lol so maybe I will like meat free chicken after liking the kiev

Back