SW Macaroni cheese

Gpuk

I just made the macaroni cheese from the food optimising 100 green & original ideas, it was YUMMY!!! It's 3 syns per serving when using the cheese as a hxa, the only change I made to the recipe was I added some wholegrain mustard and worcestershire sauce to the cheese sauce to give it a bit more flavour, I will be taking it to work as a filling low syn lunch! :)

Serves 4 = 1 onion, 1 leek, 2 garlic cloves, 227g of button mushrooms, 227g cherry tomatoes, 113g chedder cheese, 908g boiled macaroni, 2 level tbsp cornflour, 1/2 pt skimmed milk, 150g fat free yogurt.
Chop the onion, leek, crush garlic, halve mushrooms and tomatoes and grate cheese.
Fry onion, leek, garlic and mushroom in frylight 2-3 mins. Add 3 tbsp water and simmer until leek is tender. Add tomatoes and pasta, place in over proof dish.
Blend cornflour with 4tbsp milk, heat remaining milk in a pan and stir in cornflour mixture, simmer until thick. Remove from heat, stir in yogurt and cheese and pour over pasta. Bake for 25-30 mins gm4/180c/350f.
I added whole grain mustard, black pepper and Worcestershire sauce, to the cheese sauce mix as this is what i add to my normal cheese sauce, it does give it a nice flavour, also you could use more cheese if you used a low fat version, plus you could save a bit to sprinkle on top. I only made 1/2 the amount and it made 3 good size lunch portions or 2 large dinner ones. :) enjoy !

Back