SW Sausage Roll

lt52

Silver Member
Ok before starting, this is what would be considered a 'tweak' anyone not interested in the whole SW Tweak thing - look away now lol.

So i heard of making a sausage roll from smash. Basically i cooked the new SW Frozen syn free Sausages and then wrapped them in made up smash and cooked them again. They taste nice, not like a sausage roll and i get more of an American style Corn Dog from them. It was difficult to roll the smash around the sausage and get it even, so one part of it was a bit smashy and not quite like a crust/pastry type whatever thing. One also split in the over after getting a bit stuck

Hopefully the picture loads - for those concerned about syns - check your books for smash syn values i think its 4.5 syns for 25g of made up smash. I used roughly 6 syns worth i think. I was only trying it out to check and see what all the fuss was about. I didn't eat all either.

To be fair if i had this as a meal with a salad, or cheese salad, or cottage cheese/coleslaw and salad, homemade tomato syn free dip and salad, you could make sausage meat and make them bigger and have it with veg or a baked bean based breakfast thing - i would say you could argue you don't need to syn the smash as its part of a meal so its around the sausage as opposed to next to the sausage. All depends on your views, if you'd rather eat this and syn for 6 or not syn or munch on a proper sausage roll, which are between 16 and 20 syns.

Ok so... discuss lol

Lee

DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0004.JPG

They look.........interesting.
Like the worlds strangest pasties. Lol

They look.........interesting.
Like the worlds strangest pasties. Lol
yeah they were - where it was thin it was nice, where there was a little extra smash not rolled thin enough it was a bit interesting lol. I liked them - a sauce would have been nice too

I agree with you...just like smash pizza, if this is part of your main meal and you get your 1/3 speed i think a "tweak" is acceptable!

Other than that it's a question wether to "tweak" does more harm than the full fat version! Like making your own crisps in the microwave, surely that's better than having a bag of walkers!
Not sure i'll try the "sausage rolls" lol

Love your recipes though...keep reading your threads!

I agree with you...just like smash pizza, if this is part of your main meal and you get your 1/3 speed i think a "tweak" is acceptable!

Other than that it's a question wether to "tweak" does more harm than the full fat version! Like making your own crisps in the microwave, surely that's better than having a bag of walkers!
Not sure i'll try the "sausage rolls" lol

Love your recipes though...keep reading your threads!

It's like looking in a mirror lol - i completely agree with you. For me i'd rather tweak for naff or a lot less syns and get it out my system. I don't do it often and i've only been doing it to try things otherwise i wouldn't be doing it so often. I think its part of a meal its all good and if you choose to make it like a snack, like a cous cous cake - then as long as its not daily or potentially weekly. If it affects your weight then you know what youre doing really.

Thanks for reading, i'm trying to inspire and motivate and also keep my own motivation going. They aren't anything over the top as i can't cook for toffee lol.

Have you tried making the Smash with a bit less water so it's easier to wrap around the sausages? You could also put a bit of sliced tomato (no seeds or skin) in there too, to substitute for sauce. I think they'd also probably be nice if you used the flavoured Smash - I was thinking the cheesy one that I believe is available over there. Also, they'd probably look more like the real thing if you brushed them with beaten egg before they went in the oven. But, as long as they taste good, I suppose it doesn't really matter what they look like!

You could always make a lower fat version of pastry with flour in it. Using super-light spread instead of butter may allow you to still make puff pasty.

Have you tried making the Smash with a bit less water so it's easier to wrap around the sausages? You could also put a bit of sliced tomato (no seeds or skin) in there too, to substitute for sauce. I think they'd also probably be nice if you used the flavoured Smash - I was thinking the cheesy one that I believe is available over there. Also, they'd probably look more like the real thing if you brushed them with beaten egg before they went in the oven. But, as long as they taste good, I suppose it doesn't really matter what they look like!

Blimey that is turning into one fancy sausage roll lol - i shall have to experiment - on the plus side my sister enjoyed them too

Wow - looks waaaaay better than my split sausage and mash concoction! lol!

Looks like i have some baking and cooking to do!!!!

Hello, I'm new to SW but looking on Syns Online it shows Smash Original as free and Cheddar & Onion flavour as free, both made up to 100g with water! Will defo be trying these!

Hello, I'm new to SW but looking on Syns Online it shows Smash Original as free and Cheddar & Onion flavour as free, both made up to 100g with water! Will defo be trying these!

It does, there is a 'argument' that if you use smash in this way it isn't used for its intended purpose so you should syn it. Its called like tweaking. But i guess its up to the indvudal - i had it once - no problems so people may not or want to follow the plan down to a T, again that's fine. Personally, i find 6 syns (or no syns) on two sausage rolls way better than two normal ones at like 18 syns each 3 syns total

Back