sw vs ww

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by Dancing, 9 July 2008 Social URL.

1. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

Hi, (I have posted this in three places in hopes of getting replies :))

Is there anyone who has done both diets? If so, which do you prefer and why?

Also, what is the average weight loss per month on each of these diets.

Thanks peeps

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. couscous

couscous Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st13lb
    Current Weight:
    12st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st13lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Pro-Points WW
    Hi there. I have done both diets and by far SW is the better for me. Although some days it may seem restrictive in that you have to eat the majority of meat with a small amount of potatoes it does seem to work better for me. You really can eat unlimited amounts of the free foods so if you want a snack you can eat a handful of ham on a red day or jacket and beans on a green day.

I also find then whilst on SW i at a healthier diet. I am not a big fruit eater and on WW you have to count your fruit, with a banana being 1.5 points i alays think i can have snack-a-jack for 2 points and have those instead. ON SW all fruit is free on eitheer day so today i have had a banana and an apple for breakfast and snacked on cherries and grapes this afternoon. On WW I would never have done that.

Its all personal preference but to be honest if you stick to either and do some exercise you will lose weight. IMO I alsways lose more on SW than WW but maybe thats because I enjoy it more I stick to it more.

Goodluck.

4. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

thanks couscous ... this is good feedback and I can understand what you are saying abou the fruit options.

Thks!

5. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

more replies with others views would be appreciated ... as I'm still undecided ... not sure how to decide which diet suits me best

6. Anna_B

Anna_B Silver Member

Diet:
    Weight Watchers Points
    I've am starting slimming world tomorrow so I can't comment on it really yet but I can tell you why I decided to join...

I have done ww in the past. I did lose weight, on one occasion I lost 7 stone on it. I attended the weekly meetings, counted my points etc. My problem with it is counting points is not always pratical. It also meant that I ate badly on it, after all as long as you stick to your points you could just eat chocolate all day.

I needed something where I wasn't constantly counting points, weighing/measuring everything because I know I wont keep that up for life.

I decided to give sw a try because from what I understand there are lots of free foods, no where near as much weighing/measuring as on ww & from what I know it will fit my needs better. I think it will make me eat healthy foods, something ww didn't.

I think the diet/food plan you chose is very personal as it needs to fit in with your life. WW did help me in the past but it's not something I could do for life so put all the weight back on & then some. This time my focus is on losing weight, healthy eating & expercise. I hope I'm finally in a place in my life where I'm able to make a real commitment to change my lifestyle.

Good luck with whatever you decided.

7. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

thanks Anna, I was swaying toward SW and I think your post has decided me ... I am put off by diets requiring close attention to detail (weighing etc) and I can see what you mean about points on WW meaning you can make not so good food choices. SW sounds more my style.

Now I just need to know if I HAVE to go to group meetings and how much it costs

8. couscous

couscous Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st13lb
    Current Weight:
    12st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st13lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Pro-Points WW
    Hi Anna B. I think you've got a really good point there in that WW is probably harder to keep up long term. I know when i did it I was constantly working out points and 1 slice of ham is 1 Point but 2 slices is 2.5 as it gets rounded up. With SW on a red day its free.

To be honest it all depends on whetrher you're a gannett that like to stuff their face or not! I love stuffing my face so SW works for me (well it has in the past its only day 2 this time!)

9. couscous

couscous Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st13lb
    Current Weight:
    12st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st13lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Pro-Points WW
    Meetings are £4.50 BUT £9.00 THE FIRST WEK AS YOUR REG FEE. Sorry caps!

10. luckylady

luckylady Member

You seem pretty focused..and doing well.

I have done WW...and couldnt cope with the restriced points system, although now they have introduced a core system..when you eat as much as you can for your 3 main meals and fruit in between..again didnt really like that idea.

I have also been on Weight Loss Resources (online diet) where you basically count cals, and if you excercise you can more cals.

Im back on SW..and did go to the classes to get the new books, but to be honest £20.00 is best spent elsewhere, and landed a very fake leader..and then found this forum..so with all the books, and if you buy the magazines in the supermarkets..you can do this.

I think the key is planning ahead, and cooking from scratch..and realising when you fail and why.

Good luck with whatever you choose

L xx

11. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

i'm a gannet.

I've been reading a few posts and cannot believe the food that can be eaten and yet people still lose weight. I'm going to join tomorrow. I'll have to get my cooking head dusted and renovated, as it has been neglected for the past 10 months while I've been on (and trying to stay on) LL/CD.

So, is it realistic to expect to lose 2lb every week? I have 3 stone to lose (2 stone minimum). Is it possible to lose 3lb a week (averaged over a month)?

sorry for the questions

12. 30FlirtyGirl

30FlirtyGirl Call me Nicky xx

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hi Dancing, I do SW and only do Red Days. I am averaging 3lbs a week but that is with exercising in a pro sweat suit xx

13. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

oooh - I won't be exercising in a pro sweat suit but I'll give the express success thingame a try and will try to get back into exercising (exercise bike/rowing machine and when brave enough - swimming)

I'm really looking forward to this now.

14. 30FlirtyGirl

30FlirtyGirl Call me Nicky xx

Diet:
    Slimming World
    you'll do just fine. Good Luck with it xx

15. Sophs

Sophs SW Angels founder member

Start Weight:
    16st2lb
    Current Weight:
    12st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    4st1lb(25.22%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    I was in the same position as you, and after reading this forum I decided on sw as I am a veggie and don't like processed food or weighing. For me personally SW is more of a way of life rather than a diet.

But as has been said before, it's all down to personal choice:)

16. couscous

couscous Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st13lb
    Current Weight:
    12st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st13lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Pro-Points WW
    Whats a pro-suit?

17. sarah5

sarah5 Full Member

Diet:
    was Lighterlife - moved to Cambridge
    sounds hot and sweaty lol!

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins Gold Member

Start Weight:
    19st8lb
    Current Weight:
    11st5lb
    Lost(%):
    8st3lb(41.97%)
    Diet:
    cambridge
    I've done both too and prefer SW!!!I like all the free food.I found my loss record on SW and here it is...
    I started at 18.9
    Wk 1-5
    Wk2-3 1/2
    Wk3-2 1/2
    Wk4-2 1/2
    Wk5-1 1/2
    Wk6-5
    Wk 7-1/2
    Wk8-2
    Wk9-3
    wk10-2
    Wk11-2
    Wk12-2
    wk13-2
    Wk14-2 1/2
    Wk15 STS Xmas!!
    Wk16-2
    wk17-1 1/2
    Wk18-2

Then went out a lot gained and didn't want to go back and then kept gaining..but I lost well on it.I was exercising...gym2/3 times a week
    Hope this helps

20. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    I've done both diets, and both of the WW, points and core (called 'no count' when I did it).

I had more success on the weight front with SW when I lost 6 stone :) Having said that, my head might have just been in the right place for it at that time:p

Anyway...done SW millions of times ;) WW a few. If I had to chose from the two now, I probably chose WW and make it really healthy stuff. I found it hard to do SW healthily:eek:

But all 'by the way' as I see you've chosen which one you're doing :D

Best of luck to you. Bet you'll really enjoy it :)

21. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

Sue thanks ... .I really needed to see that sort of info and it makes me feel more positive. Would love to know what you did different in week 6, if anything!

KD - it is still interesting to hear people's individual viewpoint so thanks. I think there are more things on SW that suit me and where I'm at right now. Don't know why moving up the CD plans doesn't appeal ... I'm always hovering over the keyboard wanting to suggest that to others that abandon CD for another way of eating .... all I know is that it isn't an option for me right now.

Thanks guys
    x

22. KD

KD Gone fishing

Diet:
    Was Cambridge, now maintaining
    Yes...so there's your answer :) You've got to go for what suits you, what you can make work.

I know I loved SW when I was on it :)

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.