SW/ WW/ Calories panic!!

hifhsnsmk

So, in 2015 I lost nearly 4 stone on WW. I still had about a stone and a half to lose to get to target but I lost motivation and messed about for the past 18 months and put on 6lbs so I decided to give Slimming World a go to see if I can get my motivation back. Problem is I have tried SW a couple of times in the past, had terrible week 1 losses and then given up so I was determined to get a good loss this time so I have eaten 1/2 plate sp foods with every meal, really tried to cut down, used less than 10 syns a day, etc etc and the night before class had my tea, was starving by bedtime but wouldn't let myself eat as weigh in was in the morning... I lost 4lbs which I was happy with except the reason I couldn't stick to WW is it was too restrictive and now I'm restricting myself on SW! It didn't help that my friend, who is the same weight and height as me, lost 2.5lbs after 3 meals out, countless sharing bags of chocolate (3 in one day) and a night out including a meal, alcohol THEN take away the night before weigh in. How is that fair??

I am scared I won't lose weight if I eat more, as I have counted my calories for today and I'm at 1600 after all my meals but before any syns! It's getting me down already and I've only been doing it a week!

Zoe it sounds like you need to stop being so strict on yourself, honestly. No wonder you are getting fed up following slimming clubs when you're taking yourself off to bed starving. That's really not a good mindset to get into.

Trust in the plan, follow it and it will work. I'm not saying "eat 6 bowls of pasta and you'll totally lose weight" but I do mean eat good food when you're hungry. Maybe you won't see a loss this week when you go back to eating properly, but you should start to see nice steady losses after that.

FWIW the first time I joined SW, I wasn't having great losses. I was still in WW mindset and I honestly think that the 2 plans had jumbled up in my head and as a result I wasn't eating enough to lose weight properly. Good luck this week. My advice would be to stick it out for a month where you aren't being too restrictive on yourself and then see what you're down at the end of that month.

Zoe it sounds like you need to stop being so strict on yourself, honestly. No wonder you are getting fed up following slimming clubs when you're taking yourself off to bed starving. That's really not a good mindset to get into.

Trust in the plan, follow it and it will work. I'm not saying "eat 6 bowls of pasta and you'll totally lose weight" but I do mean eat good food when you're hungry. Maybe you won't see a loss this week when you go back to eating properly, but you should start to see nice steady losses after that.

FWIW the first time I joined SW, I wasn't having great losses. I was still in WW mindset and I honestly think that the 2 plans had jumbled up in my head and as a result I wasn't eating enough to lose weight properly. Good luck this week. My advice would be to stick it out for a month where you aren't being too restrictive on yourself and then see what you're down at the end of that month.

Thank you for replying xx Yeah I gave myself a good talking to last night because I was this close >< to falling off the wagon and getting a huge Dairy Milk from the shop on my way home from work! BUT I didn't and I had my healthy tea and went to the gym and today I feel a lot better about things. I am definitely going to eat more it's just so difficult to get out of the restriction mindset i.e. Hunger = weight loss. I know people do amazingly well on Slimming World so I'm gonna see how it goes. I had got into a rut with my meals on WW as there were things I just wouldn't eat because they're high points like pasta and beans and I'm loving everything I'm eating on SW atm so I don't wanna quit! x

I know all too well! I've done them both in the past and have quit both in the past. I think you just have to follow the plan as designed and only start to question that if your consistently disappointed with your losses after a few week. You'll get there though xx

You've made me want a diary milk now though :p

Have you much weight to lose

I know all too well! I've done them both in the past and have quit both in the past. I think you just have to follow the plan as designed and only start to question that if your consistently disappointed with your losses after a few week. You'll get there though xx

You've made me want a diary milk now though :p

Have you much weight to lose

I think it's because there's a bit of competition between me and my friend. If I was doing it alone I don't think I'd be as bothered lol.

I want to lose about 22lbs.

With a stone and a half to lose, dropping 4 in your first week is huge! I'm sure you'll lose the rest in no time.

Refusing yourself food could do more damage than good as your body may enter starvation mode, halt your metabolism and store everything as backup fat. Slimming world works by targeting your metabolism, you should never be letting yourself get to this stage, if you are hungry and scared before weight in day then eat some free foods or some speed. The speed would help keep your metabolism going so grab an apple or a few oranges and a muller light to kill the cravings.

Make sure you are religiously taking your healthy extras 100%. if you take any less than what is stated then you could gain weight rather than lose, the healthy extras are put in place to ensure that your body gets the right nutrients and you can't skip them. I know a lot of people have been messing up with their HEXB at my group as they where taking a regular sachet of porridge which apparently isn't enough, you need to be taking the "big bowl" sachets to get your fibre intake.

All that junk will catch up with your friend if she does it regularly, don't worry about that. I went out on thursday for drinks and used over 100 syns easily, had pizza, the next day ate junk food hungover and a burrito that night and managed to lose 2lb the next day. As long as you stick to the plan, a day or 2 off the rails wont destroy you, just don't make it a habit ;)

We're here to help. if you are stuck feel free to post a food diary for everyone to have a look at. Don't be counting calories, it's unnecessary on this plan and will just cause you stress. 4lb is a very nice loss, at my group most people average 1 - 2lb a week.

You've done amazing on WW, i wasn't a fan, far too many restrictions for my liking. I like simplicity haha.

I have found (and proved this numerous times) that I lose more when I eat more. If I'm hungry and eat I will lose more than when I don't.
When I use more syns (but still within my 15) I lose more than when I try and only eat 5 syns a day.

The best thing to do is just trust the plan, give it a good shot for a week... what's the worse than can happen

Back