Sweet potato waffles

Leapfrog

Champion actifryer
I saw Stacey UK's recipe for sweet potato pancakes and, as OH bought me a waffle & toasted sandwich/panini maker for Valentine's day :D, thought I'd search for a waffle recipe. I found this recipe, gave it a SW tweak and have just made 16 gorgeous waffles at just under 5 syns each - 78 syns for the whole recipe.

The recipe isn't very sweet - but I prefer my waffles that way! The original recipe had 1/4 cup sugar, I just used 1 tablespoon (you could use Splenda, I suppose, but I don't like the taste).

Some sites also say to use stewed apple puree instead of fat in recipes. If you used 4 tablespoons of apple sauce (unsweetened) instead of butter, this would be less than 1 syn and make the whole recipe 55 syns and each waffle 3.5 syns. If anyone tries it, please let me know how it goes!

Sweet Potato Waffles
Ingredients:
Dry ingredients

· 1 1/2 cup white flour (250g)
· 1 tablespoon sugar
· 1 tablespoon baking powder
· 1/2 tsp salt (if not using salted butter)
· 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Wet ingredients

· 1 cup semi-skimmed milk (250ml)
· 1/2 cup fromage frais or fromage blanc (125ml)
· 1/2 cup mashed baked sweet potatoes (125ml)
· 4 Tbsp butter, melted
· 3 large eggs, at room temperature

Preparation:

1. Pre-heat your waffle iron. Depending on the type of iron you have, you may need to lightly oil it. Use your experience with your own equipment in deciding. I didn't need to with mine.
2. Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk them until well combined.
3. Separate the egg yolks from the whites, reserving both.
4. In a medium bowl, combine the milk, fromage frais, mashed sweet potato, melted butter, and egg yolks. Whisk until well combined.
5. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites at a high speed for about two minutes. Stiff peaks should form when you lift the beaters. Set aside.
6. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients. Whisk until well combined, but do not over mix. The batter should be nearly smooth.
7. Fold in the beaten egg whites. I found it a little thick, so added water until it was the correct consistency.
8. The batter is now ready for your waffle iron. The amount of batter and cooking time will vary according to the size and temperature setting of your waffle iron.

Notes:

· Sweet potatoes should be baked as jacket potatoes (for about 1 hour at 200 degrees).

Sounds good! As a tip though, it's far less hassle to just peel the sweet potato, cube it and bung it in the microwave with a few tbsp of water for 5-7 mins until it's soft. Saves a lot of time!

Back