Syn free BBQ food

donna88

Gold Member
We're talking about having a BBQ this week (shame not to make the most of the weather) but I have a few off plan days planned, so would like loads of idea's of free food for the BBQ

I've noticed tesco's meat free chicken style burgers are free and there are a couple of Quorn things, but is there anything else?

Obviously could marinade some meat

Corn on the cob , make some vegetable kebabs with onion, peppers, mushrooms , salmon is really tasty done on the BBQ just wrap in tin foil and squirt some lemon Juice on it .

Corn on the cob for sure. I chuck new potatoes, garlic, salt, pepper and fry light in some foil and put the parcel directly on the coals. Yum!

mellymelz said:
Corn on the cob , make some vegetable kebabs with onion, peppers, mushrooms , salmon is really tasty done on the BBQ just wrap in tin foil and squirt some lemon Juice on it .

Leeks is nice with the kebabs too.

Buy some bamboo skewers and you can kebab pretty much anything :) chilli and lime prawns. Teriyaki chicken (think its 1 syn per tablespoon so I reckon about 1/2 a syn a skewer) pork chunks with onion and sage leaves. Chicken and mushroom :) we do gammon and pineapple but you have to syn the fruit. Offer everyone those mini tortilla wraps or mini pittas to put their freshly grilled meat in rather than the usual greasy burgers and white buns?

Do some jacket potato's in the coals or your oven. Corn cobs, veggie skewers (peppers cherry tomatoes onion and mushrooms) big old salad, low syn coleslaw made with EL mayo or Fromage frais. Potato salad. Vegetable and fresh herb couscous. Yoghurt and mint dip with finely diced cucumber in. Homemade fresh Salsa (do a tomato one AND a chilli lime mango one :)) with vegetable sticks. Rice salad. Tuna pasta salad.

I'm new to SW but it's a BBQers paradise really. All that lovely meat and fresh produce!! Just get your 1/3 Superfree in and stay off the bread based stuff.

We always make baked bananas with mini marshmallows and chocolate buttons in :( divine!!!! I wonder what the syns are for one cooked nana plus five buttons and five mini marshmallows???

Well heres what we do when we have a bbq

Chicken kebabs with peppers, onions and mushrooms - Marinade the Chicken in Worcester Sauce, Maggi seasoning or soy sauce with chinese 5 spice depending on your preference, also if you are organised you can make chikken tikka kebabs too with fat free yogurt and tikka curry powder just leave the chicken cubes in it for 4+ hours :) - ALL FREE BTW

Also home made burgers - using extra lean beef mince (less than 5% fat), onions, egg and we often put in mushroom too. Free but if you want a little extra flavour add dijon mustard and allow for the syns.. you can also add various spices btw

And sausages you can use sainsburys be good to yourself cumberland sausages for 1/2 syn each.

Top it all off with a nice salad with pickled onions, gerkins etc (all free)

One little tip to avoid using buns or rolls i wrap my burgers up in large lettuce leaves with onion, cucumber etc and have it as a burger salad wrap :)

Hope this hives some ideas :)

Back