Syn Free Bread/Scones

I made these last night and they are amazing!!! My boyfriend declared them better than real cheese scones.

300g cottage cheese
2 eggs
1 107g packet of SMASH (I used cheese and onion smash to make cheese flavoured scones)

Blend the cottage cheese and eggs with a hand blender. Then stir in the SMASH. This makes a dough which you can then seperate into scones. I made 8. I had mine with some homemade butternut squash, sweet potato and red lentil soup for lunch.

If you made these with plain SMASH you could easily make them bigger and have them as a bread bun substitute.

Next time I'm going to try frying some red onion (in frylight) and adding that to the mixture. You could add anything - garlic, chilli, chives etc.

Forgot to say they need to go in the oven (obviously haha)! 180degress for 20 mins!

They are delicious and preparation takes less that 5 minutes x

Just making these, they are cooking right now! Will let u know what they r like x

I made these last night to have with a stew as a kind of dumpling substitute, they were great! Even my hubby, who decides he's not going to like something even before he's tried it just because its SW friendly, really liked them. A winning recipe that I will definitely use again, thank you so much for sharing it :)

Made these today, added chopped red onion as didn't have flavoured smash or cheese and all I can say is yum yum!! Delicious

Attachments

• image-3518785887.jpg
    image-3518785887.jpg
    552.6 KB · Views: 2,287
I made these last night and they are amazing!!! My boyfriend declared them better than real cheese scones.

300g cottage cheese
2 eggs
1 107g packet of SMASH (I used cheese and onion smash to make cheese flavoured scones)

Blend the cottage cheese and eggs with a hand blender. Then stir in the SMASH. This makes a dough which you can then seperate into scones. I made 8. I had mine with some homemade butternut squash, sweet potato and red lentil soup for lunch.

If you made these with plain SMASH you could easily make them bigger and have them as a bread bun substitute.

Next time I'm going to try frying some red onion (in frylight) and adding that to the mixture. You could add anything - garlic, chilli, chives etc.

Ohhhhhh good idea - I have a onion chutney simmering away at the mo, these sound like they would go perfectly! Looks like I'm to take a trip to the shop for some smash tomorrow, never used it before "0)

They are lovely with onion chutney I make about 24 small bite size ones for a savoury snack I find a couple hits spot and ppl say we have to SYN C says you have to SYN if using as snack not as part if a meal which I understand so if you make diddy ones they work out about 1/2 SYN each so nothing really and tasty cheesy and savoury without having cheese or crisps which can only be good they've worked for me and I've lost the weight !

Just to clarify for the benefit of people who are new to SW and perhaps do not know. Its a bit misleading to call these syn free as SW says that you should syn free foods if you are using them as a substitute for flour, which is clearly what happens in this recipe. Technically it should be synned at the red day rate which I believe is about 4.5 syns per 25g of dried mash powder. Some people choose not to follow the SW advice and continue to take them as syn free but if you want to follow the SW plan to the letter then I would syn them. Sorry to bring the bad news :(

I get what everybody says about food abuse blah blah blah , but i could easily eat a whole packet of smash in one go with something else, i tend to make my scones without the cottage cheese & just add eggs, i don't use the for snacks but for my lunch with hex. Cheese triangles and not all of them in one go ,,, thus i am actually eating less of the smash!! Its each to their own i suppose !

Of course it is your right to choose not to syn them but its not very helpful to other people who are new to the plan to call it syn free when you are aware that SW say they are not. Tell people what the official advice is and let people make an informed decision on what they are going to do. Thats all I am saying xx

Back