Syn Free Cottage Pie

Shivlar

Ok so I made this on Sunday evening so that I didn't have to do any cooking last night, as far as I am aware it's syn free.

Would serve a family of four (probably)
Syn free gravy (not quite sure how much i added, just enough to cover the mince and veg - recipe at the bottom)

Pie Filling Ingredients
500g Extra Lean Mince Beef
3/4 cup of frozen peas
1 cup of frozen carrots (superfree!!)
Frylight

Swede and Potato Mash Ingredients - recipe available in MAY/JUNE 2012 SW Mag
(I made a big batch and portioned it up for my sick boyfriend, so i'm not sure how much I used on the pie :s - sorry!!!)
200g Swede (superfree!!)
400g Potatoes (I used plain old white potatos and kept the skin on)
Salt and Pepper to taste.

Pie Filling Recipe
1. Add fry light to a pan, and brown off the mince.
2. Add pre-made gravy (I had frozen a batch from when I made it and defrosted it over night)
3. Add veg and let simmer for 15-20 minutes (I did this to allow the veg to defrost and allow the gravy to thicken up a bit more).
4. Take off the heat and place in a deep oven proof dish and leave to rest.

Swede and Potato Mash Recipe
1. Peel the swede and chop into 2cm (approximate!) cubes
2. Chop the potatos into similar sized cubes.
3. Put Potato and swede into a saucepan and fill with water, bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Drain the water out of the pan and mash up the contents (I don't have a maser so I have been using my Kmix food stand mixer and letting that do it's thing for a good 5-10 minutes
5. During this mixing phase I also add some salt and a dash of peppr (depends on personal preference) I find the salt really brings out the creamyness in the mash it a really bizzarre way.

Now for the messy bit!!
Using a spatula I take a small amount (tablespoons worth of mash) and place around the edge of the deep pie dish which has your mince and veg in, keep going around the edges until you have just the middle left. If you wana be fancy do a pattern (I don't know how).

This is where I left my pie to cool and put it in the fridge for the following day to reheat in the oven (takes approximately an hour at 180 degrees C - check the middle of the pie is piping hot before serving) I added 25g of cheese 10 minutes before the end, but you don't have to do that :)

Syn Free Gravy - available on a sticky (but I can't access at work)
[SIZE=+0]Syn Free Gravy[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]Slimming Eats Recipe[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]Green – syn free[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]Original – syn free[/SIZE][SIZE=+0]Extra Easy – syn free[/SIZE]Ingredients1 large red onion, finely chopped2 cloves of garlic, crushedfew sprigs of fresh thyme (or other herbs of your choice)1 beef oxo cube, 1 chicken oxo cube with 500ml of hot water to make stocksplash of balsamic vinegarFrylight or Pam sprayblack pepperIf you want a chicken gravy, use just chicken oxo’s, or beef oxo’s for a beef gravy MethodSpray a large saucepan with some Frylight or Pam Spray.Add the onion and garlic and cook until caramelised, you will need to keep adding a little of the stock to prevent the onions from sticking to the pan.Add the fresh herbs, remaining stock, and a splash of balsamic vinegar, bring to the boil and reduce heat. Allow to simmer covered for approx 1-1 1/2 hours (this really brings out all the flavours, but you can cook it for a shorter time period if you need to. However I recommend cooking it for the full time as suggested if you can, to get the yummy rich flavour of the cooked onions)When it has cooked for required time, blitz with a hand blender and your gravy is ready to serve. Season with some black pepperIf you prefer a smoother gravy you can put it through a sieve, to drain out any additional lumps left from the onions etc.It is great with any meat or sausages or can even be used for the sauce for a shepherds pie or similar.

I hope this is helpful and makes sense

Back