Syn free crisps - and they are better than Walkers!

SpaceAngel

I ate my willpower!
:worthy:Sinbadsgirl has posted a crisp recipe in the recipes section. I have just tried them and they are better than Walkers! Much healthier for the kids and you can have as many crips as you like, syn free! Thanks Sinbadsgirl!!!

Here it is:-

crisps
syn free on green

slices some potatoes very thinly using a mandolin or slicing disc on a food processor
spray the plate of your microwave with frylight and lay potatoes on microwave plate do not over lap
cook on high power for approx 4 - 6 minutes or until them resemble walkers
if they still seem soft just keep doing them for 30 seconds until they are crispy

just keep cooking as many as you like no need to re apply frylight
sprinkle salt or low syn flavours on them , nobody will believe they aren't walkers !

you can also buy crisp makers from ebay x

ohhhh i dont have a microwave anymore or i would defo be making these!!! :cry: sounds yum tho. its amazing the stuff you can have on slimming world

Potatoes are free on a green day and the only thing that makes the potatoes become crisps is cutting the potato thinly, so I would then assume they were free, just as a jacket potato is.

we had this debate once before Zena, and some said they were and some said they weren't and some consultants said they were and some said they werent! I cant remember what the general consensus was! xxx

I am counting them as free. If they effect my weightloss then I know that it will be the crisps. I can't see why they wouldnt be free? They are just thinly sliced potatoes!!

I am counting them as free. If they effect my weightloss then I know that it will be the crisps. I can't see why they wouldnt be free? They are just thinly sliced potatoes!!

it's something like the smoothies, although they are made with free fruit, it still has a syn value. Our consultant said the crisp are ok to have every so often, and count them as free, but i think if people eat them too much, that's when it starts effecting your weight. So i think it's just a case of having them in moderation!;)

Last edited:
found this on another thread, may make more sense than me!

Just adding this in because....

I found this earlier, and thought a few of you would find it interesting, because I know you have these crisp makers.
Q,
when you say.... That free foods used for something else have to be synned...does this mean if i use potatos to make what i thought was syn free crips using the microwave crisp maker....theyre not??

A,
No they're not syn-free. However, syn them and they're only 3½ syns for 28gms which should make quite a few crisps (far fewer than a bag of crisps).
I'm a big believer in moderation in all things, so a few of anything like this is not going to have much effect on your weight, it's when you get to making loads of them and eating them in preference to 'proper' food that the problems begin.

The person who answered this question is a slimming world consultant on another forum.

it's something like the smoothies, although they are made with free fruit, it still has a syn value. Our consultant said the crisp are ok to have every so often, and count them as free, but i think if people eat them too much, that's when it starts effecting your weight. So i think it's just a case of having them in moderation!;)
that makes more sence, i cant have them anyways. ill stick to my chips :D

here's an alternative, but again technically not syn free....:sigh:

Get some lasagne sheets and boil them gently until floppy. Drain, dab dry & grind salt on top (and maybe some paprika or other spices) then cut them into triangles and arrange on non stick baking sheet.

Put in a hot hot oven for a few mins, and they turn out like crisps/dorito's!

Serve with a free salsa of chopped tomatoes, red onion, red pepper, chopped coriander & tobasco.

Fruit Smoothies are not free because blending them takes away the fibre in the fruit. I personally, if you are looking at it from a scientific point of view, cannot see the difference between SW chips and crips made in the microwave. Both have their skins removed. The only difference is the cooking method and the thickness of the potato.

My reasoning to consultants saying they are not free, is some people may gourge themselves on them because they are not as filling as SW chips. However, if you havn't got a crisp maker (and I dont intend on getting one) you can only make about 6 at a time!

Fruit

My reasoning to consultants saying they are not free, is some people may gourge themselves on them because they are not as filling as SW chips. However, if you haven't got a crisp maker (and I don't intend on getting one) you can only make about 6 at a time!

That's it exactly, just thought i would mention it, that's all......it may help people to know and decide for themselves whether to have them or not!

That's it exactly, just thought i would mention it, that's all......it may help people to know and decide for themselves whether to have them or not!

I thought your comments were useful!! I think that I would have been tempted to eat too many. I would just have them for a treat, and thats cos they are a bit long winded to make! I think they would be ideal for people who may be struggling or who really miss crisps. My daughters love them too, so may make some for them if I have some time on my hands!

I thought your comments were useful!! I think that I would have been tempted to eat too many. I would just have them for a treat, and thats cos they are a bit long winded to make! I think they would be ideal for people who may be struggling or who really miss crisps. My daughters love them too, so may make some for them if I have some time on my hands!

that's it, have them in moderation when you fancy some crisp and count them as free, that's what our consultant said. I am not a crisp fan myself, it's cheese and chocolate (not together) THAT I CRAVE!:p

that's it, have them in moderation when you fancy some crisp and count them as free, that's what our consultant said. I am not a crisp fan myself, it's cheese and chocolate (not together) THAT I CRAVE!:p

I love my skinny cows!

Back