Syn free muffins

Pippy Bear

Fighting the fat!
Had a taste of the cherry and almond version of these muffins in group today, they were absolutely delicious, I can't believe something so good can be syn free on both green and extra easy days!!

Recipe makes 12

225g fine ground polenta
1 large beaten egg
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
3 pots of vanilla mullerlight low fat yoghurt
7 - 10 tbsps Splenda
1 - 2 tsps vanilla extract

1. Put all ingredients in a bowl and mix for at least 3 minutes. Leave to stand for at least 20 minutes.
2. Spoon into muffin tins that have been sprayed with frylight.
3. Cook for about 20 minutes at 200C / Gas mark 6

Variations -
cherry yoghurt and replace vanilla extract with almond.
vanilla & chocolate yoghurt with rind and juice of 1 orange with 1 tsp vanilla.

Enjoy! :)

I'm baking these as i write this! Trying it with banana flavouring rather than vanilla! Shall give you the verdict in half hour :p xx

Thank you Pippy Bear!
I am going to make them this weekend.

louizekj, please do let us know!
I like the sound of all of them and want to try all! ;)

Im gonna have to be a pest im afraid. Did you know that Polenta has a syn value if it is used as flour?? They say that this is because you can over indulge in these items and so they can then affect your losses. Sorry for this! :(

Basic/Non Branded Foods Polenta, ground/used as flour 28g - 5 syns (both days)

Well if thats the case it works out as 3 syns per muffin! Not as good as syn free but definately worth a go!

I have to agree they are lovely! Just had a banana one warm yum yum...think i might have to warm up a banana and custard muller light and pretend its custard to go with the next one lol x

Im gonna have to be a pest im afraid. Did you know that Polenta has a syn value if it is used as flour?? They say that this is because you can over indulge in these items and so they can then affect your losses. Sorry for this! :(

As far as I know its the whole grain polenta for this recipe, which would make it syn free on green / EE, but I will check next week when I'm back at group.
Thanks for pointing this out though, I was planning on trying all the varieties but I will hold back a bit now :)

These sound lovely! Especially if the kids eat them too. I'm going to give them a go as soon as i get some polenta, i'm willing to count it as 3 syns as well!

Well the slimming world four seasons cook book is wrong then, as chilli corn bread (using polenta as flour) is syn free according to that!! Yummy aswell!!

However, I understand that these muffuns are probably more tempting to snack on so I think we may just have to have them as a treat rather than every day!!

I made the vanilla muffins and they really are yummy. My husband likes them too and ate about 6 in one go!
I just had one as I am worried about the syn value. I got 18 muffins from my batch, so that makes it about 2 1/2 syns each if they are synned.

I used the cherry and almond recipe too, but instead of muffins I made a small loaf.
We are going to have some this evening topped with cherry muller light! Yum!
Chocolate cherry muller light will also be yum, just a little more "synful" ;)

Good news!!
It is the whole grain polenta for this recipe (not the fine ground) so they are totally syn free!
Yipee :gimi:

Good news!!
It is the whole grain polenta for this recipe (not the fine ground) so they are totally syn free!
Yipee :gimi:

THis recipe sounds great, could you tell me where i can get the whole grain polenta please? Thanks in advance.

Hi Ruthie, I've been buying the polenta from Budgens, but I've been told Morrisons stock it as well, along with some health food shops.

Hope you enjoy them, the banana and custard ones are my favourite so far!

i really really want to try these but cant find whole grain polenta anywhere!:cry:
been to local asda,tesco,morrissons,health food shop with no joy.
can somebody tell me where to get some?
thanks x

baking these as I type, are they meant to rise? After leaving them to stand for 20 mins the mix had got quite thick and they are just blobs in the bottom of the tin!

I made these last night, and they wernt very nice :( :(

Was really looking forward to them but they just didnt turn out right! :cry:

yuk

Made these and they didnt rise much but the texture was good. Only problem was, they smelt delicious but tasted of nothing.

very disappointed

hi. tried this recipe and its so yummy. love the vanilla ones so far and have also tried making the cherry ones. really nice warm with a banana and custard muller on top!. the polenta i found in my larger tesco's; the foreign food section and it came in a large bag only.

Back